Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd waterwheel behavior  (Read 783 times)

mathi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd waterwheel behavior
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:37:07 pm »

In my current fortress I am building a huge magma pumping stack. To at least acknowledge the laws of physics I decided against building a set of Dwarven Water Reactors and opted for a system of waterwheels that uses two aquifers that are located in my hill on different levels. It starts at a double aquifer at Z+1 and Z 0:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The real implementation is much more extensive with a total of 30 waterwheels.
The pumping stack is connected to one of the gear assemblies. Once I checked it was working (at that moment I didn't realize that only 15 wheels were supplying power) I turned off the water stream by closing the floodgates at level Z 0. Right now there is no stream of water running (tiles are 1 water or dry) and the wheels are still running with 1500 power output. Although i am not really complaining, I am curious if anybody has experienced the same situation of running water wheels without running water.

So far I assume this is a result of the two aquifers that have an invisible "stream" running between them, but more experimentation might give more insight.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Odd waterwheel behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 03:42:31 pm »

I have seen a situation in the past where water once connected to a river would always been considered to be flowing for the purpose of powering water wheels, even if the connection to the river was blocked off permanently.  The logic which DF uses to determine when water is flowing is quite buggy.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 03:46:27 pm »

Needs exploiting!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 03:47:24 pm »

This is inertia  :D
They'll stop eventually stopping time seems random.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 04:11:55 pm »

've had the same happen with one of my dwarven reactors. i shut off the screw pump intakes, the water was no longer being circulated, and the blasted thing kept on churning out power indefinitely!  even after being stopped via power overload, (and left for several months) it started back up on it's own when the overload system was disconnected.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 05:08:38 pm »

I currently have a reactor that was bucket-filled to 4/7.  It was a standard double reactor; two wheels attached to a single pump.  As the water level approached 4/7 I noticed the system was in motion.  Groovy. 

Like andyman564 describes, I accidentally overloaded the system and locked it.  I left it engaged like that for some time, though not several months, before finding the issue.

It turned out that only one of the wheels attached to the pump was producing power even though they were both in the same dwarfmade pond.  I opened the intake hatch and had a dwarf pump manually for a few moments.  I stopped the pumping and closed the intake hatch.  The water settled back down to 4/7 across the entire pond and now both wheels produce power without any outside help.

The flow algorithm is odd, for sure.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 09:07:21 pm »

Water reactors are a bit odd. I tend to connect them so that a single reactor powers the next, which powers a further reactor and so on. Multiple reactors to generate exponential amounts of power. It does get a little excessive after a bit.