Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gobbo leader disappeared?  (Read 426 times)

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
gobbo leader disappeared?
« on: August 31, 2011, 02:08:09 pm »

so i have this fort, at war with goblins. nothing special so far
after some sieges, they arrived with their leader, a demon twisted into humanoid form. still nothing special
ofc i tried to kill him, but no luck, as he fled the map after some of his gobbos were massacred by my marksdwarfs. now, my problem: he neither is in the deceased list, nor listed as leader of the goblins, aka "this land has no important leaders". did he vanish just like diplomats do? any chance i get another try to kill him?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: gobbo leader disappeared?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:12:20 pm »

This is a bug.  When any named civilization member leaves the map, they lose their position in their civilization and vanish.  You will never see him again.  This is the same bug that causes diplomats and liaisons to be replaced every year.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:13:41 pm »

Known to happen.  Any named creature that leaves a map ceases to exist.

Previously (so I've heard) there was a bug with diplomats.  Your diplomat would die on the map, and you would never get another one.  To rectify this, the diplomat always dies, and is always re-chosen.  It's a very stop-gap measure.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:27:57 pm »

Contextually, it makes sense. Said creatures were too ashamed from their cowardice to return home.

Doesn't explain why the liaisons disappear, though...
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 02:56:34 pm »

too bad, i knew of the diplomats/liasons bug, but not that it affected all named creatures.
i had a demon human diplomat on the map aswell, but couldn't finish my spear-traps fast enough :(
and for the demon leader... well, i'm very disappointed, just letting his servants die and then vanish...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 02:57:25 pm »

Similar reasons.  They were too traumatized to go home.  The only thing that kept their feet moving off the map was the overwhelming fear "If I die here, it will not be the end."  They came to discuss trade, and they keep their voice steady and calm, for fear of giving any hint of fear to dwarves who systematically built a baby death trap in the dining hall.  They walked past the impaled migrants and the dogs locked in cramped watchtowers, and into the bloodstained mayor's room to discuss the sale of 50 elf bone crafts in exchange for 20 barrels of yak brain.  They leave, quickly, very quickly, and fall to the ground in shock at what they have seen.  The last thoughts running through their minds are the requests, and they scream to the heavens and echo in the caves, "20 YAK BRAIN BARRELS!" before the weight of their traumatic sights crush their sanity, and they fall silent in the fields, rotting and withering until hunger takes them.  It is only these last screams of terror that alert the mountainhome to the trade agreement, and prepare the next liaison for the terror to come.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 03:20:17 pm »

Girlinhat,you're awsome!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 03:25:11 pm »

Simple answer: this is bug #2892.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 03:32:17 pm »

A dwarf scribe sits in his office in the mountainhomes, going through a stack of trade orders when his attention is suddenly drawn to the window as a distant cry echoes off in the distance, punctuated by the the scattering flight of crows.

He turns to his secretary and, without ceremony, says: "Congratulations. You're the new liaison."
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."