Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The API of the Gods. (Suggestion Game)  (Read 5432 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: The API of the Gods. (Suggestion Game)
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2011, 04:02:10 am »

I still need to know exactly where those limits go and what more such things there are that we may use. And now that we've implanted one and had it integrate with existing ones we should be able to search for it and thus access some of the others and GET direct access anyway.

And even if it's not useful as a method for getting information out of our brain I still need to know the process to figure out what kind of things can be gotten into our brain with it.

So: Where did we find knowledge that the API even have the ability to manipulate something called a concept web, how exactly can it be manipulated, how is it structured, can other things be connected to it and implanted as well (most importantly; neural networks. From a technical standpoint they should be easier to translate into wetware and much more useful and versatile than say images which we already can do), what other things  can be found there, and how did we come up with the idea to search for it in the first place?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2011, 09:25:42 am »

Let me rephrase. They're something you made to enhance your learning. They're not actually an internal format of your brain.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:16 am »

Well, in that case it's an even greater new thing: we can insert any kind of arbitrary data format and it's automatically translated into something our brain can integrate?

Anyway, assuming that, actions:

>We've been holed up in our apartment for two days, we should probably go out and do things we normally do so that people do not start to wonder. Unless we usually lock ourself in or apartment for days on end that is. On the other hand this has to be weighted against the time it'll take and the risk of waking past magic detectors within to few meters. Since most our stuff is in our circlet we can still work on a lot of things and it'll just seem like we're zoning out.

We don't have to change any plans due to the message nor the news. Stealthily taking over the solar system as fast as possible was in the plan from the beginning.

Quote from: still pending
> sounds like it'd be very quick to integrate an independent divkit with the circlet, do that. Just engouh to do basic things and reconstruct your current divkit given time. Once you've done that there should be no other tool needed for anything

> Make a spherical reflective crystal, make sure it's a PERFECT sphere, and durable so that it stays that way. Maybe add something to keep it extremely clean. Sense reflections from it at very high resolution (at least terrapixels, probably petapixels), at every frequency from gamma radiation to radio. Process into image and feed into your brain. Ease it in, starting with a normal resolution and normal colour chanels and add more gradually to test how much your brain can handle, once you know the limits you can design a mental interface to move the window of attention around that window changing what frequencies you actually see and  zooming into the high resolution image, or out to get a panoramic view. [new]Run it through whatever feature extraction and object recognition software you can get from the stream to draw attention to details your brain may otherwise simply overlook when faced with such large amounts of information. [/new]

> How much hiero did making/does maintaining that drive take? what is the exact nature of the nonphysical interface we made?

> [using 10 hiero for computation is] 10^19 floating point operations per second, correct?

> with our new neurological knowledge, see what more information we can manage to extract more intelligently from our neurons.

> Proof of concept/experiment: get some kind of simulation software from the info stream, and create some kind of obstacle course, and a spider like body in it. Set up a simple neural network to control it, and set it up software for automatically training it to move around by randomly creating waypoints and rewarding it for getting close to them, then run it on your very fast computer for a second or so which with such a simple simulation and controlling net probably translates to years and years inside*, so it'll be pretty much as well trained and agile as it can become but due to it's simplicity probably still to stupid to get past some of the more intellectually demanding obstacles no matter how much training it gets. Now, insert that neural net into your own motoric centra, while keeping track of the input and output nodes of the network somehow, and hook the simulation up to those synapses in the copy of the network that is now part of your brain, and then run the simulation in realtime. Then try to controle your simulated-spider-body like you would any part of your body, possibly even getting tactile feedback.

(* If it doesn't lower the quality. This kind of thing should take less computing power than a single human neuron to simulate most likely. )

> Check which parts of the brain are needed for the meditation and REM sleep integration. Try to see if you could put yourself in a "sleepwalking" like state and still do tasks that do not overlap in what parts of the brain they need to use at the same time? Likewise, but easier, make it so you can quickly snap in and out of rem sleep and the meditative state according to a timer so you can schedule more efficiently and save time. If there are any other tricks similar to this that seem like the may work try those as well.

> List of subjects that we should absorb by the same process we did neuroscience eventually:
*The documentation for the divkits
 *Psychology
*Computer Science
*Artificial Intelligence & machine learning
*Quantum Electrodynamics
*Mathematics
*Assembly programming in whatever language most resembles the one he lowest levels of the divkit uses
*The "morass of molecular structures and assembly code" part of the divkit that actually manipulates the world. This may need a different type of digestive process than instructive text.

Oh, And check BOTH the normal internet and the info stream for this, and use wichever seems the most reliable and advanced.

EDIT: oh, and before any of these, check if you can enable some of the natural speedup and smarts mechanisms for the brain. Maximum willpower, alertness, etc.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:16:01 pm by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2011, 10:02:49 pm »

Gigalith cancels Moderate Forum Game: gone insane.

Sorry, peeps, but for personal reasons I've having to stop this now.  :( For my 3+ readers, have a long winded explanation:

When I started this, I had no idea how much energy and time it would use up. It can literally take hours to write updates. If that was all that was going on in my life, fine, but I've got other projects I'm working on. One of those projects has an incoming deadline. I found I really don't have the time.

By the way, though the exact specific way this turned out contributed to the problem, it wouldn't have changed things if it was some other way. I intended this to go off the rails, because really, why wait? 

Secondly, --this may sound bizarre--, I don't believe in this. I'm not meaning that I lack belief in the factuality of this online collaborative creative fiction exercise. I'm meaning that I don't share the worldview that this game would seemly support: Strong AI, weak AI, the universe as program, the universe as programmable, transhumanism, etc. This gets into personal reasons, which I have neither the space nor the desire to discuss here. Simply said, I've never been fully comfortable moderating this.

"But Gigalith!" You say. "Why did you start this forum game in the first place if you disagreed with the philosophical underpinnings with which you started it?"

I answer: It seemed a good idea at the time. INTERNET SHRUG.

See, there's a thing with expectations. The name, "API of the Gods",  implies you're going to be programming the universe, which implies the universe is a computer. And if I were to go all up in the middle of game and say "BY THE WAY GUYS THIS UNIVERSE IS ACTUALLY BETTER DESCRIBED BY HYLEMORPHIC DUALISM THAN COMPUTATIONAL MECHANISM", it'd troll everyone, including me. With a title like "API of the Gods", I expect Gods trying to program each other out of the Universe-Computer, not sudden discussions of final and formal causes! On the other hand, if I didn't pull a bait and switch, as I concluded I shouldn't, then I'm stuck moderating something I feel uncomfortable with.

By the way, the 1 Hiero/MB thing? Balance reasons. Seriously. Even ignoring my inherent dislike of AI whatnot, without it, any intelligence-type demigods are going to steamroller any other kind of demigod. Looking back, if I put, say, negative energy in the standard divkit, then I think you could get relativity shenanigans for personal slow-mo, but at that point what meaning do standard mortals have? You'd might as well set the game on Mars.

Also, this was probably going to happen anyway, even if we didn't start with an intelligence god, simply because we'd assemble a semi-full divkit eventually from conquering/trading with everybody.

Finally, and most simply, I have too much pressure in my life, and this is one of those things that gets the cut. That's the long and the short of it.

So, thanks for the wild ride, everyone, such as it was, and sorry it had to be cut short. If anyone wants to pick up the torch, or try a simpler version, they have my blessing.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2011, 04:16:03 am »

This is MUCH, MUCH worse of a troll than any such thing. And it taking hors is crazy, if it does then just do it lower quality and don't be such a perfectionist. If it still takes to much time, just update less often. If you don't like the direction the game is taking, railroad a bit and use your GM powers. ANYTHING is better than abandoning it.

So please, PLEASE don't abandon the game. Just change it to something you feel more comfortable with and takes up less time. Almost all games reach a point like this, there they have to either change radically or collapse due to GM disinterest, and for those who change it always  seems like it'll ruin the game before hand but usually it turns out to have been even better even for the most sceptical. This is not some kind of mistake you did in starting the game in the first place, it's a natural part of the lifecycle of forum games caused by the fact that late-game rules can't get a game started but early-game rules causes a massive workload that causes GM disinterest after a while.

Also, the 1H/MB thing being a balancing measure was fairly obvious, and you can introduce any number of such measures whenever you like using one simple explanation; the gods who gave us our powers are in-game trying to balance us and stop us from becoming to powerful. And don't be fooled by my constant attempts to weasel my way around balancing measures, I fully recognizes their importance and support the introduction of them to prevent me from archiving my goals, I just consider optimizing to constraints and trying to find ways around problems to do they thing that'd actually be the smartest to do in game without metagame knowledge to be a large part of this kind of game.

And by the way ""BY THE WAY GUYS THIS UNIVERSE IS ACTUALLY BETTER DESCRIBED BY HYLEMORPHIC DUALISM THAN COMPUTATIONAL MECHANISM"" is a PLOT TWIST and pulling that kind of thing occasionally is a good thing that keeps the game interesting.

Also, I'd pick up the torch except for that I'm the only one coming with any interesting suggestions.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2011, 11:44:23 am »

The changes I'd need to make would essentially turn this into another forum game. So, on second thought, that's what I'm going to do. It's not as if anyone is super-attached the current gamestate.

I'm retroactively declaring this to be the beta test version. I'm starting it again in a different thread, with less focus on counting Hiero and more on cool engineering stuff. Here it is.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2011, 12:19:37 pm »

...It's not as if anyone is super-attached the current gamestate.
This is technically incorrect. But you're the boss.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2011, 01:20:46 pm »

...It's not as if anyone is super-attached the current gamestate.
This is technically incorrect. But you're the boss.
:(. Well, I wouldn't have been able to continue as it was, anyway, sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]