Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Ragefortress; The badgering.  (Read 4177 times)

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
Ragefortress; The badgering.
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:42 am »

After losing a fort to a group of giant badgers (first time) becoming enraged, killing pets and dwarves, causing tantrums from the losses, and eventually berserkers to kill every last remaining dwarf together with more badgers, i wasn't just amused, i was inspired. I copypasted [PRONE_TO_RAGE:1] from the badger raws and gave them as a gift and curse to... Dwarves.

I wasn't sure this was going to work, seeing as tamed badgers didn't seem to get enraged either. So i embarked with 3 soldiers and equipment instead of food and workers in a evil biome to test it. Right as i pressed enter after getting Strike the earth! i saw my targets. Two ogres. It was perfect. After giving my trio of soldiers (sword, spear, axe) a few seconds to pick up their equipment i sent them off to kill the ogres. My speardwarf suddenly charged forwards, at the twice the speed of the other two;
The speardwarf has become enraged!

The speardwarf had killed the two ogres before the others could even arrive, and then he finally stopped blinking with a red !. The speardwarf was no longer enraged. I grinned like an idiot, i had created a monster. A quick inspection on the speardwarf shows that unlike my other two soldiers, he was super agile and, "Quick to anger." And the best part of it all was, during the combat, the speardwarf had actually PUNCHED the trolls in the face more than he used his spear, which he was trained with.

Ofcourse, having no food and drink, and friends dying around them, the tantrum engine roared once again, and when the first berserker (a peasant) hit, there were no survivors. An enraged berserker is like watching a large serrated adamantite disc on legs.

And so ended Ragefortress.

I've tested raging dwarves some more, and there is one thing that i absolutely love about it; a woodcutter being scared by animals will eventually instead of running back and forward (and spamming interruption messages) decide IT'S GO TIME and fight back. Same for fishers, etc. Having multiple hunters will spam you with enraging messages though, but it doesn't pause the game. I even had a woodcutter kill a small hammergoblins in rage. He died afterwards, but he was a damn angry hero.

Anyway, i thought i'd share this with you guys. It's probally been done before.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Ragefortress; The badgering.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 12:02:53 pm »

this should be on the list of random national traits that should happen sometime

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:08:53 pm »

now, all you need is to find a way of launching these dwarfs at enemies and you have the latest gaming craze- angry dwarfs
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 12:12:07 pm »

After stuggling to order those Woodcutters to KEEP THEIR FUCKING AXES WHEN BECOMING SOLDIERS TO FIGHT THAT GOPHER! I think I might add this as a perseverance. That and if I ever get a Tantrum Spiral it will be nice and quick and fun. Never had one yet tbh. My dwarves/humans live in luxury from the get go...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »

now, all you need is to find a way of launching these dwarfs at enemies and you have the latest gaming craze- angry dwarfs

Drawbridges might work, though, i don't know how healthy my angry payload would arrive, and how far. But it's worth trying anyway.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:32 pm »

I've tested raging dwarves some more, and there is one thing that i absolutely love about it; a woodcutter being scared by animals will eventually instead of running back and forward (and spamming interruption messages) decide IT'S GO TIME and fight back. Same for fishers, etc.

My question is mostly related to the fisher part, I'm curious, when they get enraged do they jump into rivers and stuff to strangle the carp to death? That would be awesome and probably fatal for both.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 12:41:56 pm »

Flush them to their destination with water, essentially creating a TIDAL WAVE OF RAGE. With some luck, you might even avoid them drowning in their rage!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 12:48:25 pm »

Flush them to their destination with water, essentially creating a TIDAL WAVE OF RAGE. With some luck, you might even avoid them drowning in their rage!

Unless I'm mistaken, the optimal level for flushing stuff anywhere is between 2/7 and 4/7 water, which is too little to drown in.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:11 pm »

That would work. And right after they stop being so ANGRY AT EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE they realise "wow, what a nice waterfall."

"..."

My question is mostly related to the fisher part, I'm curious, when they get enraged do they jump into rivers and stuff to strangle the carp to death? That would be awesome and probably fatal for both.

My fisherman jumped a crocodile and started punching, kicking, scratching and wrestling it. When enraged they seem to do awfully better at combat, so the crocodile was pretty damn injured after that. Maybe a nice way to get rid of useless immigrants? I think if they're fast and uninjured enough, they could climb out.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 04:26:53 pm »

If you're unsatisfied with dwarves evading hostiles take out [benign] tag from their raws.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 04:55:37 pm »

Oh, and add LIKES_FIGHTING.
Just to be sure...

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 05:17:09 pm »

I believe you mean "Angry Beards"
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:54:48 pm »

And thus having heard the gospel of anger, Mrhappyface bestowed upon the most favored of his races, the curse gracious blessing of pure RAGE. This race of dwarves retained much of the physical aspects of their brethren, but in mind, were beings that would make even the foulest Clown, or the most evil Party Animal void their +Rope Reed Trousers+ on sight. Screaming their unique battle cry "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!" and brandishing their middle fingers, they charged their enemies, hacking, slashing, and screaming four letter words at the top of their lungs, enough to make ears bleed and eyeballs explode. Lord Fuckshit the Dicksmasher of Cuntpunch was the greatest of his fellows, going as far as biting the Goblin King's penis off and beating him to death with it. After that, all of Goblin Kind whom lived in the multiverse of the Glorious Deminsions feared the one eyed dwarf brandashing a hammer of pure platinum and the severed genitals of their lord.

True Story ;) Thanks Genesis Mod!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »

Hahaha, that's brilliant Mrhappyface! Reminds me of Angry Marines.

I should really mod them proper hand-to-hand weaponry, with the absurd amount of punching being done against animals and soldiers with natural skill in Striking immigrating to my fort unusually much, with the right amount of teaching skills i could probally get an entire squad of armored essences of rage, ready to strike with fists and claws of pure steel. Guess i'll go figure out proper stats for the raws. (scratching as edge and striking as blunt attacks? That would be convient.)

And putting in war badgers. Actually, i just did that. Better than dogs in my opinion.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 10:50:18 pm »

Hahaha, that's brilliant Mrhappyface! Reminds me of Angry Marines.

I should really mod them proper hand-to-hand weaponry, with the absurd amount of punching being done against animals and soldiers with natural skill in Striking immigrating to my fort unusually much, with the right amount of teaching skills i could probally get an entire squad of armored essences of rage, ready to strike with fists and claws of pure steel. Guess i'll go figure out proper stats for the raws. (scratching as edge and striking as blunt attacks? That would be convient.)

And putting in war badgers. Actually, i just did that. Better than dogs in my opinion.

The dwarves fell from the sky in Drop Pods made of Obsidian. In the codex astartes this tactic is known as Black Rain. LET OUR BROTHERS FALL FROM THE HEAVENS ONTO THE HEADS OF OUR ENEMIES.

You should obviously now give Dwarves the ability to eat rocks and give them 5 hearts. Also these Dwarven Marines should be a foot taller than all other dwarves.

They are the emperor's finest. The Beard Marines. They strike awe in all dwarfs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4