Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My sinister embarks always end in normal animals.  (Read 1773 times)

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My sinister embarks always end in normal animals.
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:37:18 pm »

I swear i am not going into any non sinister areas. Yet... Normal Honey badgers or Elephants(different embarks) just trounce around. I want skeletal/zombie beasts running around not normal animals. What am i doing wrong? I should be in entirely sinister biomes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: My sinister embarks always end in normal animals.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40:11 pm »

Luck, mainly.  Evil biomes seem to be either skeletal/zombie OR ogre/troll/harpy/etc.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:01:02 pm »

Honestly for maximum fun you really want dangerous monsters (ogres, etc) rather then the undead.  While the undead used to be hard core.. Too hard core perhaps.. They have been toned down to the point they are nothing now, virtually no threat (at least the standard "skeletal deer", "zombie groundhog", etc.. Plus no fishing :(

Back in the older versions they used to be a force to be reckoned with, mostly cause killing them was almost impossible in the skeleton (I think..) case, you could beat the things into submission but actually killing them took forever, which sucked if it was a strong skeletal creature.

But, as said above, if there is any trick to finding specifics in the embark I have never heard of it, it seems to just be luck of the draw whether you get mostly normal stuff, 'beasts', or the undead. 

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:50:39 pm »

Play with the honey badgers, any animal with honey in its name is bound to be friendly  :P
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:01:30 am »

I know this problem. Sinister means [BENIGN] and [EVIL], and I've just recently noticed that there's no special benign-evil critters.
That's why I have a lot of work to mod them in (some special town-related bogeys and the like).

Basically sinister means that it's not wild (close to settlements, no wild animals and beasts etc.) but it's an area of evil magic. It's not a very bad place.

Try evil+savage, you will have a lot of Fun.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:55:53 am »

Play with the honey badgers, any animal with honey in its name is bound to be friendly  :P
It's really a shame you can't tame them.  Honey badgers are very dwarfy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81bcjyfn6U

I love the little bastards.  My favorite part is where it steals the food out of a puff adder's mouth, eats it in front of him, and then decides to go for the indignant snake for the next course.  The conclusion to that match is pretty much the essence of dwarfiness.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:47:34 am »

When adventuring through the savanna - I am constantly annoyed by 'the honey badger is enraged!' and 'the honey badger is no longer enraged!'

The honey badger gets enraged easily, and seems to pick fights with most other grassland animals.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 03:31:52 am »

You want haunted or terrifying biomes.  Ideally, find an embark with multiple evil biomes overlapping (sometimes its hard to tell, watch for the F1F2F3 on the embark screen).  Even if one of them decides to just be zombie groundhogs all day every day, the other is likely to throw something nasty. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 05:15:23 am »

You can always add in the same rage tags from badgers to the other wild creatures if you don't have any luck with evil areas. I mean, what's scarier- a couple zombies shambling about every once an a while, or swarms of seemingly-benign animals trying to tear you apart?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 05:35:30 am »

Luck, mainly.  Evil biomes seem to be either skeletal/zombie OR ogre/troll/harpy/etc.

I had both once. Those skeletal yaks fucked my shit up bad once the harpies killed my militia commander.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 06:53:21 am »

Undeath tends to be more prevalent in haunted, and especially in terrifying biomes. I have several undead embarks.

Honestly for maximum fun you really want dangerous monsters (ogres, etc) rather then the undead.  While the undead used to be hard core..

Exactly. My recommendations:

Terrifying badlands/rocky wasteland/desert: nightwings are flyers with an annoying tendency to rip the hands and feet of your dorfs. I swear i had 3 recruits lost limbs or life to them in a single year. Plus, there is always the feared giant desert scorpion.

Sinister/Haunted/Terrifying grassland/savanna/shrubland: ogres can inflict terrible losses early on, and harpies will ensure you will never have a dull moment.

Sinister/Haunted/Terrifying marshes: beak dogs tend to be as bad as ogres, plus harpies.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:29:43 am »

Undeath tends to be more prevalent in haunted, and especially in terrifying biomes. I have several undead embarks.

Honestly for maximum fun you really want dangerous monsters (ogres, etc) rather then the undead.  While the undead used to be hard core..

Exactly. My recommendations:

Terrifying badlands/rocky wasteland/desert: nightwings are flyers with an annoying tendency to rip the hands and feet of your dorfs. I swear i had 3 recruits lost limbs or life to them in a single year. Plus, there is always the feared giant desert scorpion.

Sinister/Haunted/Terrifying grassland/savanna/shrubland: ogres can inflict terrible losses early on, and harpies will ensure you will never have a dull moment.

Sinister/Haunted/Terrifying marshes: beak dogs tend to be as bad as ogres, plus harpies.

Nooooooo, not the Nightwings! My first experience with those was when I had a population of around 60.
By the time I finally killed it, it had killed over 40. It doesn't help that Nightwings are immune to pain and don't seem to be need to breath either...

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:58:50 am »

I've had the same problem, though I've only embarked on about three terrifying biomes. Usually ends with a bit of boredom at the fact that there's absolutely nothing dangerous going on. My most recent, and current, fort is situated where a terrifying wasteland (or something), a terrifying something or other, and a rather peaceful looking forest place come to a point. All that I got there for the longest time were camels. SO MANY CAMELS. That's all we ate besides plump helmets before going to the caves. That led to messy scenes involving losing my two hunters. I should note that a Nightwing showed up once, quickly tearing up a couple brave Dwarfs before flying off.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:16 am »

Well thanks for all the replies.

Best forum community everyon is so helpful and only trolls about candy and HFS

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:38 am »

Terrifying temperate shrubland is by far the best. You get harpies, werewolves and ogres. Savanna and grassland are good too, but you miss out on the werewolves.

Ogres are *dangerous*. Werewolves are fast, and since they show up one at a time, they are easier to miss. Harpies aren't so dangerous, but they fly, so they can get past your defenses more easily, and they are harder to hunt down with melee troops.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
Pages: [1] 2