Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Glorious, glorious candy  (Read 19158 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] Glorious, glorious candy
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2011, 10:41:12 pm »

:D  Guys:  Maps where no one will dig or cut trees are not hopeless.   :D

In the original legendary spire thread, the starting seven were unable to do any work as well, but IIRC at least some of the eventual migrants behaved more or less obediently.

I played the original legendary spire map for about couple of game years.  (My ‼+«☼aluminum computer☼»+‼ gets just enough FPS there to be playable.)  If you can survive until your first migrant wave, it's not just the migrants who start working, it's all the dwarves start working normally.  I think it has something to do with needing to "discover" the caverns to dig/build there, but you can't discover them since they're already exposed to the surface, but getting your first migrant wave also unlocks the same thing.  It doesn't make a lot of sense but it works.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2011, 06:12:07 am »

A muddy eerie glowing pit?

A muddy eerie glowing pit?

It was always just a matter of time before someone started farming in one of those...

I know, it hasn't started yet. Soon though...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:46 pm »

I WILL FIND THE TOP OF THIS WORLD, EVEN IF IT KILLS ME/MY COMPUTER

<---- check out dat z level

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Progress report: Kept it running since the post, over 22000 Z levels, still no sign of stopping. Put a couple of items on the keys to act as weights. Will come back to it in thirty minutes to an hour to check again.

30103 is the highest z level. Nothing much unusual up here, though.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:55:30 pm by Imakuni »
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2011, 10:52:14 pm »

Good luck, have fun.

With 22 000+ levels, I imagine you have an extremely low FPS. Were it as high as 1, you would climb 3 600 z-levels in one hour.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2011, 10:58:20 pm »

30103 is the highest. Really fucking high. Had 6 GFPS while not even changing z levels while at the top on my custom-built gaming computer with an i7 and two graphics cards.
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2011, 01:02:54 am »

Not that a custom built gaming computer with high speed multicore and 2 graphics cards helps with dwarf fortress... much :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2011, 06:20:48 am »

30103 is the highest. Really fucking high. Had 6 GFPS while not even changing z levels while at the top on my custom-built gaming computer with an i7 and two graphics cards.

Now I want to see how a kitten splatters once thrown down from there...

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2011, 08:15:45 am »

That's like 15 kilometers, the air up there is so thin your kitten would die on the way up :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2011, 03:11:55 pm »

You really think we'd put you down?

No...

No, you're going in the box.

You're going to explain a lot of things under knife's edge...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2011, 05:26:07 pm »

This would be an interesting world to show to Toady.

There are probably billions of bugs in this world. He would have a heyday.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2011, 05:41:50 pm »

Note that that wasn't an embark with an adamantine spire or really anything unusual. Hell was normal, caverns were normal, the only thing odd was the really high sky. I'm going to try this again on a different embark to see if it's the same.

GFPS and FPS return to normal once you go back down. I set a hotkey at the top and at ground level and at ground level I get maximum of both, while at the top I get about 50 FPS and 0 GFPS. These are both at maximized 1920x1080 on a 2x2 embark.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:48:25 pm by Imakuni »

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2011, 05:50:23 pm »

Scratch that, there's one oddity: Hell is empty. I accidentally left the map revealed and unpaused it, and nothing came out. Unless revealing doesnt do that right away.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2011, 05:57:31 pm »

...And maximizing the window seems to add 41 z levels to it.

So, when the window is normal sized it's 30103 z levels above ground level, but when the window is maximized, it's 30144 z levels above ground level. For some reason. All the z levels together, stone and all, amount to 30293 either way, though.

Never mind, I'm dumb, I didn't know that putting your cursor over where a cliff would be would change what it shows ground level as.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:01:39 pm by Imakuni »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2011, 06:07:01 pm »

This would be an interesting world to show to Toady.

There are probably billions of bugs in this world. He would have a heyday.

The world is a bug.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »

Toady reads the forums, I'm sure he's been all up and down this thread.  But I'd rather not see these bugs fixed.  I mean, you gen three dozen worlds and one has map shearing, and then dozens of people generating dozens of world, and ONE of these gets reported.  They're so rare that they don't interfere with gameplay, and yet so fun to explore that we're forsaking out working worlds in favor of this monstrosity.  Being able to see the broken worlds is very fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6