Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange engraving behavior: engravings of engravings  (Read 885 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Strange engraving behavior: engravings of engravings
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:51:27 pm »

I've been getting for a while engravings of X quality depicting engravings of Y quality for a while. Bug?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange engraving behavior: engravings of engravings
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:56:54 pm »

Just a quirk of the procedural system I believe. You can get artifacts with pictures of themselves on them, which I think is proof that dwarves are growing a lot more than plump helmets.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:12:50 pm »

Dwarves will sometimes engrave a depiction of a dwarf creating a masterpiece. When your engraver routinely creates masterpieces, those get thrown into the pool of potential events for him to engrave.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:23:54 pm »

In fact, in late Fortresses, that may be ALL he engraves.
But then, in late Fortresses, you rarely have anything LEFT to Engrave.
..Still waiting for someone to engrave all 3 Caverns.
And the Magma Ocean.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 06:53:43 pm »

In real life, many people make their own renditions of particularly famous works of art. The same thing happens in Dwarf Fortress - most commonly, one of these famous works of art will be the symbol of your own civilization (in Boatmurdered, this is the most likely the explanation behind the engravings of engravings of cheese).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:22:05 pm »

I like to think they are big fans of Escher. It gets pretty awesome in the extremes, such as planepacked's numerous self-references.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:55:00 pm »

Here's one from Norman Rockwell that's pretty darn famous.

Note the pictures of other famous artist's self portrait on the easel.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:57:31 pm by Berserkenstein »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 08:10:03 pm »

How many levels deep has this behaviour been observed? Can we get engravings all the way down?

Can masterwork engravings be renditions of themselves, or do they only make their history event after creation?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:18:30 pm »

I'm assuming that an engraving only exists after the engraving is made.  I'd say the same about artifacts, but that's obviously untrue.  Either way, I'd say that an engraving of itself is impossible, by virtue of what an engraving is.  An item with an image on it is still an item, even without the image.  An engraving that has no image, is simply blank.  An engraving of itself would be a black square inside a blank square -  there would be no content.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:21:43 pm »

I'm assuming that an engraving only exists after the engraving is made.  I'd say the same about artifacts, but that's obviously untrue.  Either way, I'd say that an engraving of itself is impossible, by virtue of what an engraving is.  An item with an image on it is still an item, even without the image.  An engraving that has no image, is simply blank.  An engraving of itself would be a black square inside a blank square -  there would be no content.
Dude, that's deep.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:48:48 pm »

You could have an engraving of infinitely nested square borders.

Also, cheese pics should show up more often.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Soaplent green is goblins!