Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Military  (Read 1492 times)

grey666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:23:28 pm »

There is no way to make the military work under the current DF. I've read all the forum posts and followed the directions, it doesn't work. I would like to see the the old military functions work. Just delete all this stupid bullshit, and go back to 'X'. X - worked.... X allowed us to actually direct dwarves to impending doom. This new bullshit doesn't do a fucking thing apparently. It's a waste of time. There is no actual way to train dwarves or fucking direct them in any natural way.

There isn't even a way to fucking to describe dwarven military units - it just resets on every fucking keyword.

Just reverse this stupid bullshit and go back to actual military commands, thanks.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Military
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:26:18 pm »

someone has the syndrome: Over use of the word fuck.

can you tell me what youve tried? i may be able to help. But in future, please dont post blatant swearing, it devalues your posts.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

grey666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:42:28 pm »

Thank you, I believe you are correct. I can certainly see where swearing would devalue my posts. I beg your forgiveness, and honestly - I pledge, in the future to never cause you a single moment of pain. It troubles me some to know that I've hurt your finer sensibilities and to that effect, I apologize prophetically, and emphatically... it's disdainful to know that I've somehow tarnished your character. Deeply painful.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 01:44:58 pm »

Whats so bad about the military system? You can set patrols, make dwarves go to a point or order them to pursue and kill an individual target. Within a squad you can assign individuals seperate targets or make them all go after one. Training is a bit annoying i'll admit but at least your dwarves don't drop like flies from friendly stab every time they practice swinging an axe.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 01:46:03 pm »

There's some good critique under there somewhere. But erasing all of it and "getting back to the good ol' days" is never a good answer. The new system is superior in many ways, but it doesn't mean it couldn't use some tweaking (perhaps).

Edit: Nice sarcastic answer to someone who says: "I may be able to help", ass.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:48:04 pm by Hiiri »

grey666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:17 pm »

Well, other than the fact there is no way to actually kill anything, the military is just fine. They train, they grab weapons, and shields etc.

But then the badgers come and annihilate my entire fortress - vermin, mind you, and this I think might be a problem.

I can't be sure... but I don't think a badger should be allowed to destroy 90 dwarfs ... it just seems wrong to me. I spent many sleepness nights pondering this ... a badger killing 90 dwarfs... hmmmm... hrm.... hmmmmmm .... hrmmmmm

Thank god for the military... it might have taken another 10 seconds to wipe out my fortress.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:05:32 pm by grey666 »

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 02:02:54 pm »

Then draft 91 dwarves. Problem solved, with one experienced dwarf to lead your next wave to their deaths.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 02:03:39 pm »

Erm, it's called the 's' key. It opens up a list of your squads and there you can order troops to move to a location or kill a creature.

Edit: There's a big difference between wanting the old system back because it was better and wanting the old system back because you're too lazy to figure out how to use the new one.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:05:15 pm by The Mechanical Man »
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

grey666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 02:06:48 pm »

A badger killed 90 dwarfs. Ponder that before you call me lazy. LoL.

You know, after like the 60th dwarf - you'd think they would pick up a weapon?

Fuck the military - they were in the basement practicing to kill badgers... that's right before the badger killed them.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:08:49 pm by grey666 »

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 02:08:30 pm »

concerning trainning: usualy it takes around 2 to 3 years worth of trainning to start getting decent millatery dwarfs, i suggest trainning in squads of 3 with 2 trainning at all times and all weilding the same weapon. This usualy works for me to produce a decent millatery.
Checking their skills in teacher/student will determin the rate at wich they teach and learn through deminstrations, ie, how fast theyll bring a rookie up in their ranks.
Checking their stats will tell you if that dwarf can take a few hits or crumple everytime someone pokes them.

Other than that, your at the fate of the random number roll.

I can suggest cage traps: Tame badger guards work very well against their own kind.

This is of course, if you wont want to partake in danger room practice. -wich i personaly stay away from-
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Tiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:11:08 pm »

someone has the syndrome: Over use of the word fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5eYFH8HZ8

Too much fuck?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 02:11:28 pm »

Seems you've edited out a good bit of your venom and are a bit calmer now.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:41:58 am by forsaken1111 »

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 02:13:17 pm »

Are you... Are you whining about Dwarf Fortress being brutal? I dunno if you've paid much attention to all the canon and culture but this game is renowned for being incredibly quick to punish inability. On a side note my own military never had any problems with badgers. Maybe try equipping them with weapons using the uniform system? Wrestling won't get you anywhere in DF2010.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 02:14:14 pm »

When I read the first post I was going to help. I read your replies and I've decided you're just trolling, or you're just an incredibly annoying and abrasive person and you don't actually want help, your purpose here is to complain bitterly about something that you dislike.

I was considering instructing him on how to use the 'alerts' system, but I agree with you and decided not to.
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2