Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: THe n00b wants ADV mods! (what are the must haves?)  (Read 2330 times)

sgt0pimienta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
THe n00b wants ADV mods! (what are the must haves?)
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:50:26 am »

OK,i would like to know what are the Adventure mode must have mods?
and a small list of what they do,because i've been searching for them but simply put i have no idea of wich ones are good,all i have heard is that genesis is amazing,but don't know what it adds anyway :P
By:
Bdthemag

Great, now thanks to Bay12 im going to go out and buy an old journal just to write occult information in it and pretend to be insane.[quote

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: THe n00b wants ADV mods! (what are the must haves?)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:12:20 pm »

Wanderer's Friend is a cool Adv-mode crafting mod. It allows you to tan skins of wild animals you kill, carve bone weapons, make leather backpacks (a real life-saver if you're an outsider), and make other stuff from stone. Find the link for it in the modding section.

GloriousImp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:40:38 pm »

Genesis.
Adds tons of equipment, materials, enemies and races to play as.

Wanderer seems a bit pointless to me, backpacks can be found in bandit camps and pretty much every metal is superior to bone or leather.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:36:49 pm »

Actually Wanderer's friend is an awesome mod. It's included in Genesis for this reason: I love crafting totems out of dragon skulls and spears out of their teeth :).

Wanderer seems a bit pointless to me, backpacks can be found in bandit camps and pretty much every metal is superior to bone or leather.
It depends. In Genesis dragon-level leather and teeth can be used to make a really great dragonscale armor/spears. The armor will also be light and more resistant to stabbing attacks.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 03:03:08 pm »

In Genesis dragon-level leather and teeth can be used to make a really great dragonscale armor/spears. The armor will also be light and more resistant to stabbing attacks.
I can't tan the scales, for some reason. I have the raw scale on the ground and my scraper in my hand, but it still won't work. But when it does, I could make a nifty alligator scale trousers and dragon-scale armor when I kill such creatures.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 03:25:16 pm »

In Genesis it's called "divine skin", not scale; and the leather is "deephide".

P.S. I see the problem, scaled animals (not beasts) have common scales, so they cannot be tanned... I will fix it, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:28:16 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

GloriousImp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 04:34:34 pm »

In Genesis dragon-level leather and teeth can be used to make a really great dragonscale armor/spears.

Just how good are we talking about here?

Copper -> Cobalt -> Spellwood -> Black Bronze -> Bismuth Bronze -> Bronze -> Iron -> Sun Gold/Moon Silver -> Steel -> Black Steel -> Red Steel -> Mithril -> Adamantine

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 06:20:42 pm »

You should take the creators of the mods into account, too. Some of them are rather indifferent or unresponsive to error reports, don't fix obvious gamebreaking issues, etc. Deon is usually around (hell, he showed up in this thread pretty fast) and takes care of those issues (again, this thread).
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

sgt0pimienta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »

You should take the creators of the mods into account, too. Some of them are rather indifferent or unresponsive to error reports, don't fix obvious gamebreaking issues, etc. Deon is usually around (hell, he showed up in this thread pretty fast) and takes care of those issues (again, this thread).

i'll say it as boringly as i can:

omgzomgzomgzomgz Deon posted!

Now,specially to deon:

I actually investigated about Genesis and i see it pretty darn awesome...but i have two inconvenients:

1.I don't want to spend 3 hours in a wiki learning to play the game again (take is as a comliment ;) )

2.I haven't tried installing any mods...probably it will be the same as minecraft,come with a dwarf fortress game,or have an installer,but just in case...installing it will be easy?
By:
Bdthemag

Great, now thanks to Bay12 im going to go out and buy an old journal just to write occult information in it and pretend to be insane.[quote

NotAQuisling

• Bay Watcher
  • Openly Fey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:07:26 pm »

Last time I got Genesis it came with its own copy of dwarf fortress but with the changes already made.
Download complete in 15 Days and 7 Hours

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:18 pm »

Just saying. It is a lot like customer service, you don't want the product that you have to call India in order to find out it is unfixable.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:53:05 pm »

What's wrong with India? They invented pijamas! :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist, I watch "The big bang theory" now).

sgt0pimienta
1) It's not THAT different, the main mechanics are the same. I just expanded some fields (i.e. wheat/rye flour etc. baking into bread, or male/female gender turned into many castes) but otherwise it's the same. If you want to know new recipes or reactions, check the .chm file in the download (I plan to make it .html later) and be aware of multiple enemy civilizations (so more soldiers/traps/consideration are needed).
2) It comes pre-packed.

If you play ASCII, the 3.25f is the latest version. It's currently in active development.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52988.msg2577205#msg2577205

The graphical version is a bit behind because I just came back after a long modding break, so now I make a huge patch which I make in ASCII first. If you want graphics, get 3.25d or one of TomiTapio's versions (in his signature).
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=18751

P.S. Main mod thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52988.0
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

sgt0pimienta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 05:52:32 am »

what is ASCII?

please don't destoy me D: :P :)
By:
Bdthemag

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 06:28:22 am »

Letters. If you play with letters and symbols instead of graphics, that's an ASCII variant (original).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 12:24:13 pm »

In Genesis it's called "divine skin", not scale; and the leather is "deephide".

P.S. I see the problem, scaled animals (not beasts) have common scales, so they cannot be tanned... I will fix it, thanks.
I don't use Genesis, sorry. Just Wanderer's Friend and Civ Forge.
Pages: [1] 2