Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Frozenvictims, a fort to last a hundred years (TERRIFYING TUNDRA, SIGN UP)  (Read 5227 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

I'm back at school, from a summer hiatus at CTY (die!die!die!die!...), biology class and a most surreal journey to an internship in Iqaluktuttiaq. What this means is that my netbook is not my only computer, and therefore that I have a decent processor (the school computers) at my disposal, and therefore that I can play Dwarf Fortress.

As I'm starting a new year at school, why not start a whole new fortress? Large world, short history, low civs, very high beasts, high natural savagery, minerals everywhere.

We have two starting locations.

The first is a terrifying glacier called "The Fatal Blizzards".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It has flat or very slightly sloped terrain, but access only to dwarves and goblins, so while we'll get invasions we'd only get the dwarven caravan. Fun times ahead.

Our second option is a cold, haunted forest called "The Lamented Forest". It's haunted, with access to everybody, and very slightly hillier. We will probably settle on that stream.

The third option is mixed: the land is untamed wilds, so we'll get badgers, but it borders a terrifying lake. It's far more mountainous than either options one or two, but we get access to everybody.

Place your votes and get dwarfed, gentlemen. We'll build a fort to last a hundred years!

TURN LIST
Done
Current
Skipped

1. dhokarena56
2. Mormota
3. Urist McHuman
4. The Master
5. Hugo_The_Dwarf
6. Dyg
7. Kraos
8. Orangebottle
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:54:25 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: A Fort to Last A Hundred Years: come and sign up!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:08:30 am »

Is this a succession fort, or a community fort?  I don't want any sort of turn, but I'd like to be dorfed, please.

Name: Darth Vader
Primary skill: Swordsmanship
Personality: Darth frickin Vader
Voice: James Earl Jones
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:47:49 am »

If it's a succession fort, I'd like to sign up for the second turn, and dorf me as Mormota the axedwarf/woodcutter. Embark on the glacier.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:59:07 am »

I'd prefer a community fort, as I don't understand how succession fort works with the uploading saves.

Here's my card:
Name: Urist McHuman
Skills: Talented Building Designer, Skilled Mason, Adequate Carpenter.
Profession: Defense Organizer
Personality: He is quick to anger. He finds helping others rewarding. He tends to avoid crowds. He does not mind being outdoors, at least for a time.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:31:00 pm »

Download winrar, install it, then go to your DF folder ->data->save and find the save you want to upload. Right click on it and press add to archive. Follow the on-screen instructions, then go to mediafire, click the upload button, then find the compressed archive. It should be called region#.rar. Wait until the upload finishes, then you should get a link. Post that link here for people to use to download the save.

When you download the save, use winrar to unrar it (Right click->extract) if it's compressed. If not, ignore that step. Then copy the folder to DF folder->data->save. I hope this will help!
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:39:19 pm »

Name: Sirroco II
Skills: Adequate Engraver, Skilled Hammerdwarf, Novice leader.
Profession: Madman.
Personality:
Very slow to anger; Rarely feels discouraged; Genuinely likes others, openly expresses positive feelings; Unassertive; Often feels filled with joy; Loves fresh and new ideas; Incredibly frank and candid in dealing with others; Incredibly confident; Very disorganized; Possesses great willpower.

GLACIER FOR SURE!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 12:41:38 pm »

Do you happen to be the Sirocco who was present in Syrupleaf?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 12:47:15 pm »

Are you guys really sure? No elves or humans to piss off... I'm voting forest, but if people REALLY WANT the glacier...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 12:57:33 pm »

Yeah, but the other options are not nearly hard enough.  :P Seriously, a terrifying glacier? The forest could be nice, but it seems boring. Haunted only and plenty of wood? I'd prefer the glacier, but if more people want the second option I'm fine with that. As long as it's not the third.

Edit: Just make sure to read up on ice on the wiki so we actually survive the first year. :D

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 01:17:01 pm »

I would like a dwarf
Name:Wypie
Skills: Adequate Markswarf,Novice Ambusher,Competent Bone Carver,Competent Butcher,Novice Comedian
Personality: Kills things with a crossbow,Loves the outdoors,Likes to make jokes
Could i have a hut outside the fortress oh and
!!GLACIER!!

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 01:24:16 pm »

Could i have a hut outside the fortress oh and
!!GLACIER!!

You'll die in... Let me make the calculations... 50 seconds, yes, I believe. Give or take 50 seconds. :D

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 01:46:32 pm »

Do you happen to be the Sirocco who was present in Syrupleaf?
I am not at liberty to say. but as you might remember,
This is the place Sirroco and tehsid(who, if possible, could later come as a migrant) arrive at.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:47:56 pm »

Glacier, then! Let's begin.

"Darth Vader" is adequate in swordsmanship, fighter, dodger, and- once we get some defenses set up- adequate gem setter and cutter.
"Sirocco II" is a hammerdwarf and our engraver.
"Urist McHuman" is a skilled building designer, skilled mason, and adequate carpenter.
"Mormota" will do some axe defending.
"Wypie", you've been overruled so we can get a hole in the ground dug, pronto. You, like me, are a miner, and you'll do some farming and brewing. You're also a proficient cook for export.
I'm a mason/miner. Litast the peasant remains Litast the peasant. Somebody can sign up for him, but by then he'll probably have a job- there's no goofing off in a fort like this.

So now we need a name. Frozenvictims sounds good to me.

FOR FROZENVICTIMS

We're packing one axe, one hammer, 2 picks, and a sword; to make room we only have 60 booze, so farming has to start quickly. We'll assign everybody to masonry, at the start, and bring stone to throw up some walls around the wagon. I don't care that there's no room to the outside; we can knock a hole open later. We've packed one cat, and 7 female and 2 male dogs (don't want our only sire to die.) Plus 35 Sandstone, and a war dog.

READY
SET
DIE

Well, that's interesting.

A word to the wise: there are no murky pools. If there were water...but there is no water. Not on the surface, at least.

(With all apologies to the late, great T.S. Eliot.)

Still, nothing to it but to throw up some walls. The only wildlife around are some skeletal muskoxen, but they're all on the other side of the map...

7th Granite: Bitches. Why won't these idiots stay inside the walls? Things would be so much easier.

9th Granite: Deconstructed the wagon, got a door made. The muskox are building destroyers, however, so...we'll have to get a better solution made.

10th Granite:

Limestone. It's not only a flux, but it also has- somewhere- veins of coal and iron ore. That means steel, bitches.

Let's go get those oxen. But in the meantime, I'm getting a food stockpile and some farms set up in the dirt. They're not intended to be permanent- eventually I'll dig out a big room thingy in the stone, set up for food and maybe some other stockpiles. But we can't concentrate on aesthetics now.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:31:01 pm by dhokarena56 »

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:58:01 pm »

The Journal of Sirocco II: Entry one

DIARY! Guess what?! I've joined up with this group of six other settlers I've never met before in my entire life! Sad news too, TEHSID GOT LOST! I told him to follow the sound of Patsy, but he didn't listen! I started leaving a trail of bread crumbs as soon as I realized he was gone though! DIARY, TIME TO SETTLE DOWN AGAIN! Hmmm...I wonder what happened to my gazebo back in Syrupleaf, Diary? I hope the spawn like it!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 02:03:05 pm »

The Journal of Mormota

Great riches await us! I know it! I was hired by some maddwarf to protect a small caravan until they arrive at one of the most promising places in the world! A glacier, full of exotic gems and riches! This was the best decision of my life, free booze, food, no fighting to do, I'll get rich and they're even paying me for it! Well, almost the best. There is some idiot here who calls himself Sirocco. He likes having a diary just like I do, but he engraves his. On my shield. I'm not sure I like that.

I hope you won't mind that, I thought it fit in well with Sirocco's character.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5