Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Frozenvictims, a fort to last a hundred years (TERRIFYING TUNDRA, SIGN UP)  (Read 5214 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

They would probably all die, but yeah, that's FUN! Anyways, why would anyone want to muddy some stone? Don't we have very deep soil? That should be enough for all the farms we want.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile

I'd like to be dwarfed, as an animal dissector, surgeon, or butcher if possible (Ideally male, but I'm not too picky).

I'd also wonder if there's any chance of ending up on the turn list, despite my succession game total inexperience, general inexperience, and the fact I'd probably induce some catastrophe, possibly even AFTER getting the save to run.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

I'd probably induce some catastrophe

Perfect. Exactly what we are looking for.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

The Journal of Sirocco II: Entry 3

Hi Diary! I overheard the expedition leader muttering something about more migrants! MAYBE TEHSID IS WITH THEM! Also, Mormota was playing hide-and-go-seek again, but I found him! he was behind a barrel! He must have forgot about the rules though, because he started chasing me without counting! that silly goose...Oops, gotta go! BYE DIARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

BAD NEWS happened today. For whatever reason, my computer done corruptified the file. As a result, we're going to have to start a new fortress. I am, however, proud to say that we bust into the caverns to harvest some wood and, were it not for the corruption, would have suffered some extreme reindeer fun (who migrated over to the migrants when they arrived), with help from the skeletal troggies.

So it's time to restart. I'll find another terrifying tundra.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Journal of Sirocco II: Entry one

DIARY! Guess what?! I've joined up with this group of six other settlers- WAIT A MINUTE DIARY...I've wrote all this before...oh no! Impossible...SILENTO IS DEAD! I KILLED HIM MYSELF! THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING! DIARY, WHAT'S NEXT?! THE SPAWN OF HOLISTIC AMBUSHING THE WAGON?!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:59:03 pm by The Master »
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

Spear or axedwarf this time and second turn again, in case you aren't keeping the list.

Journal of Mormota

I had such a strange dream last night. I thought we arrived already. We found a cave which surely had many riches, but there was this idiot who engraved his diary on my invaluable shield! Oh damn, he did it again! Wait, again? What am I talking about? It only happened now. I'm so confused.

Whatever. As long as I get my riches, I'm fine with this. Well, as long as I get my riches and those spawns of Hallelujalistic or what don't ambush us, like Sirocco engraved.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right.

We've got 1500 embark points, chosen so as to offset some early-game hurdles. I've increased the evil square count to 30, 300, 3000 for small, medium and large subregions; and required at least 500 squares of tundra. It worked, oddly, because all the oceans are now evil.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's our embark.

I'm a miner/butcher/tanner; Darth Vader's a miner/architect; Sirocco's a carpenter/mason/engraver; Urist McHuman's our stonecrafter/broker; Mormota's an axedwarf; Wypie's working in the kitchen with Ascubis and is also doing some weaponsmithing on the side.

Then we took some stone, wood, booze, food, seeds, an axe and shield, picks, dogs and a cat. This, too, has been renamed Frozenvictims.

It's time to take back what is rightfully ours!

We embark.

There are no animals around, so I designate the wagon as a meeting spot, and we build walls of pitchblende.

Actually, there are animals. But they're not skeletal. I can't figure it out.

After a two-day period, we're safe; everyone's inside. Now to get underground.

7th Granite:

A week in, we've done some exploratory digging. We've been guaranteed a flux layer from the map, but it's going to be marble. Otherwise, we have an insane amount of minerals: there are claystone layers from Z -5 to Z- 11. Below that is three layers of gabbro; then three of schist; then four of schist; then four of granite, and then finally at Z -26 we hit marble. That's where we stopped; now we're going to get cracking on farms, workshops and bedrooms.

Also, for some unknown reason, the map has an FPS sucker. I can't figure out what, however, because everything's snowed in. And I'm sorry for editing continuously, but otherwise I can lose the post.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:02:29 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Awwww, I don't have a sword anymore?  Bummer. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dude. Alt+Printscreen, paste into paint, cut out what you need, file > new, paste, save as. Would save a lot of page space.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile

I'd probably induce some catastrophe

Perfect. Exactly what we are looking for.

Well then, I guess I can take a crack at it.  Sign me up, if there's room
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Frozenvictims, a fort to last a hundred years (TERRIFYING TUNDRA, SIGN UP)
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 04:13:20 am »

PFP: We are screwed. I am fairly certain there is no iron ore on a map with marble.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 07:08:40 am »

PFP: We are screwed. I am fairly certain there is no iron ore on a map with marble.

We've got a layer of claystone.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 09:57:04 am »

Oh, all right then. We're awesome then, both flux and iron ore.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:29 am »

I just woke up, so I can't write a journal, but I just want to say that I have a feeling that this is going to be a !!FUN!! fortress!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5