Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Blacktree Trail - A Western RTD- First turn of Chapter Two about 30% done!  (Read 12162 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blacktree Trail - A Western RTD
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 08:11:11 am »

Oh, okay... So you'd rather be the doctor? I guess you can have 'em if you want. :)
And since this isn't historically accurate (Both due to my cluelessness, and to ensure more fun), I'll add a 'gender' option on the character sheet.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 08:12:13 am »

Or you could add a vet, who would have to care for the human casualties :)

I've PMed you a couple of thoughts but agree with Zako about attributes, to summarise.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 08:14:13 am »

Hey, the last one I played was AWESOME. No reason why this one can't be either.

Also, if you add any more skills yoink, you may have to let us have a little more skill points to compensate. Not many, but still. Just may want to keep it in mind.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 08:15:22 am »

Yeah, attributes are scrapped. Working on equipment now. I'm going to PM Scriver with some extra info on his role.

As for a veterinarian, I'm not sure. I think caring for minor injuries in the animals could be handled with enough animal care skill, whilst major injuries... Well, there's always gunslingin' for that. :'(

Fakeedit @ Zako: Yeah, I imagine I'll add a couple more skills before this starts, so I'll revise it when I do.
Booze is Life for Yoink

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 08:17:31 am »

No, I was mostly not serious, I think the ranch hands would probably do most of the vetslingin', or indeed gunslingin'...

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 08:25:20 am »

That's why I have 2 Gunslingin'. I mean, what?

@Zako; Ah, indeed. I nearly cried, when Daniel died.
I actually didn't mean to rhyme, but what can I say, that King's sublime.

*bows, and walks off the stage before anyone can boo at my horrible rhyming*
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 08:30:04 am »

If anyone has suggestions for how damage should work, feel free to post here or PM me... I could just roll a d6 to see whether someone's dead or not, but then that would make the sexy equipment list I'm working on quite pointless.
:P For example, should I roll a different dice depending on what weapon is firing? Or should I just add a modifier to a d6 roll depending on how good it is?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 08:35:45 am »

Well, I've seen a slightly complex system that I quite like. Basically you roll to determine if they're hit, roll to determine where they're hit, and roll to determine how severe the injury is. That's the basic gist of it. Is that sort of what you're looking for? I can help think up ways weapons/skills would affect it if you like.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 08:42:23 am »

How weapons/skills effects damage is kindof what I meant, yeah.
Also, I'm not that knowledgable about 19th century weaponry, so you'll have to forgive any innacuracy! :P
Anyway, the list of pistols is finished, just need to finalize their stats and such.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 08:57:18 am »

Well, depending on how complex you want to get it varies. But for basics...

Skills would impact mostly on hit chance. For example, having high gunslinging would increase accuracy, but reduce chance to get allies (Modifying it towards a 5 rather than a 6) at high levels. At lower levels, it would modify towards a 6.

For example, someone with high gunslinging rolls a 6. It gets bumped down a point or two, depending on HOW high, to avoid them overshooting, but still getting a good result.
Someone with lower gunslinging, but still relatively decent rolls a 5, and gets bumped up to a 6 rather than staying at 5 like a higher skill level character would.

Weapon damage would impact on the 3rd set of rolls, modifying it depending on how lethal the gun is.

Weapon accuracy would modify the first roll. In an obvious way.

The 2nd set of rolls would also allow you to introduce aimed shots -  With a high enough skill level you could aim for, say, the head, and get bumped a point towards the head. Or if already hitting the head, bump up damage.

Could also use a 'Rate of Fire' mechanic for guns. Say a gun has a rate of fire of... 2. That means in one turn, 2 bullets could be fired from that gun. You could also introduce quick shots, allowing them to do a second action, but with minor negatives to both the shot and the following action, and you could use rapid shots, lowering accuracy/damage for more bullets per turn.

Tell me if any of this is too complex, or if it's interesting or what not.

What more do you need?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:21 am »

I don't think vet-slingin' amounted to much more than "if it can't walk, shoot it" back then. For cattle at least. For horses it was probably more "will it heal well if I provide a basic first aid?", or a bullet.

For a doctor, we could always have one of those old timey surgeons that was actually barbers (But don't get those blades to close to my moustache! I warn you!) to whom "doctoring" mostly meant chopping it up with a bigger knife and sewing it back together. And possibly cauterisation. Damn, that is probably the most awesomely weird combination of professions there is. "Good day to you, good sir, may I offer you a trim of that fine moustache today? Perhaps some new, scented French pomade to go with it? What, can I do something about that rancid leg wound you have? Well, I do already have all these really sharp blades... Apprentice, fetch me a butcher's knife! We have some choppin' to do!"

has the odd scar or two on his skin, with a big one coming down in a slight cresent moon shape from the right corner of his mouth.
A Glasgow.. frown, then?
Why so serious?

Anyway, I'll get started on the character soon, just got to do some cleaning around the house first. It'll be in in an hour or so I guess, that is, if I ever dare show myself around here again after that joke above. ;)
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 09:39:37 am »

Well, I updated the skills section a bit... I still haven't revised the number of starting points, I'll do that once I get some feedback on the current skills. Do you guys think those are enough? Can you think of any other skills we need? Do you think I should've worked all this out before starting the thread?! :P

Also, we have one slot left open for a ranchhand. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 09:56:59 am »

I have a question then -

+++: These give a -3 for unskilled users

So if, say, I had one point of skill in one of these skills, would I have +1, and someone with 0 points in it get -3?

And if I had three points would I get +3? or +0?

I think it's quite a good idea - some things are hardy for someone with no experience to do, but I'd just like that clarification before I swap any skills about.

edit:
Do you think I should've worked all this out before starting the thread?! 
It would have been easier, but I can totally understand new things coming to you and wanting to try out the ideas on people first. You said it's your first RTD and I think people who are interested in the idea/theme are going to be patient enough. I certainly don't mind.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:00:15 am by lawastooshort »

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:30 am »

Is that a sign that my suggested system is denied? Ah well, I can use it myself anyways :P

What more do you need?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 10:11:36 am »

Hmmm... I like the negatives to unskilled people. It encourages teamwork, which is what this RTD is about, I reckon. I think that you may want to add a few skills that have no negatives to them if unskilled to maybe even it out if you add more skills, but in the same light, it does make sense for something to be hard for an unskilled person.

Why so serious indeed... I loved that movie by the way. And of course my character would be a part time barber! He would just LOVE to get a razor close to that neck of yours... Plus, he would also be capable of pulling teeth, since barbers were also dentists back then. (Origin of the red and white pole), so come on over if you got a tooth ache!

@Zako; Ah, indeed. I nearly cried, when Daniel died.
I actually didn't mean to rhyme, but what can I say, that King's sublime.

*bows, and walks off the stage before anyone can boo at my horrible rhyming*

Many thanks...  :'( I had a feeling I should have taken a bonus to health or two...

So if someone is skilled in something, how does their amount of skill points determine how much of a bonus they get?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15