Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions I'm confused about.  (Read 610 times)

Ischenous

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Questions I'm confused about.
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:23:43 am »

So I havePlayed a few forts and failed in different ways, though the wiki and this forum have done a good job at answering most my questions. The ones I'm still stuck on are these.

Migrants- Why do they suddenly stop when I got to about 60. It's really annoying, especially when I'm trying to build an army that gets killed (A rampaging yak killed several people, including my expert spearmen). I've read that increasing wealth is the key after the first two but I have by over 200,000, made it to a barony and still no one. The caravans are also making it off the map safe.

Why are some of my wounded sleeping next to the beds in the hospital? It's bad enough that some just refuse to get up, even though they are healed of the reasons they went in for.

Custom stockpiles- how do you work them? It appeared to be a simple case of disabling everything I don't want but some seem to refuse to be used, for instance my seed and alcohol stockpiles.

Am I better off not trying to start a melee squad first? I seem to lose too many early on to make it worth it. I realise not everyone will survive but still.

Ambushes- do they ever go away on their own? They are refusing to budge and it has made the elf merchats go insane, which wasn't bad but the animals went berserk, causing the deaths above and starting a tantrum spiral I think.

That shoud be it for now.

Edit: Another quick one. Who punishes the captain of the guard? :P  He broke the law as well as my other tantrumers.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:27:50 am by Ischenous »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions I'm confused about.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:50:56 am »

Migrants - you mentioned you made lots of wealth and you let the dwarven caravans leave safely. Are you giving the caravans immense amounts of profit to take away? If not, then the propaganda message to attract migrants is not being delivered, only prepared.

Custom stockpiles - Actually, the easier way (for me) to customise stockpiles is to put down a normal first and then edit it (from the 'q' view I think) to filter what it accepts. This can be tricky as you need to leave 'switched on' an item type, material and quality level for some of the categories.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:37:14 am »

Re Captain oif the Guard question - I think it says who's supposed to punish them. It will be one of their deputies (aka one of the members of the squad the Captain heads).

I think.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 01:00:40 pm »

For migrants make sure that you are trading away your wealth and not just hoarding it to yourself. Also make sure that the init files haven't been edited to disable migrants.

I find it's usually easier to establish a melee squad in the beginning, however a well placed trap defense can greatly increase the survivability of your squad. A lot less dwarves will die in the early stages if the goblins that they are fighting are already have dead from blood loss and pain. I personally have traps set up to kill most of the creatures that attack with the military mainly to work as cleanup for any that get through and to deal with any trolls that get caught because they break the hatches in my system.

As for the ambushes, I don't know. I know that sieges will go away eventually on their own (unfortunately this is long after most traders have gone insane) but I don't know about ambushes. Also make sure to keep some good food and dining rooms around to help prevent those tantrum spirals. A well stocked dwarf with good rooms will shrug off most things, even the death of their family/friends/pets.

Oh and make sure that your wounded aren't on a surgery table or a traction bench. Those can be a little glitchy right now and can end up with dwarves being stuck in surgery. If so then just deconstruct whatever they are on top of and reconstruct it and they should be fine. Also make sure that any surgery tables (and maybe traction benches too, I'm not sure) are immediately next to the hospital beds in order to minimize potential glitches.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 03:39:04 pm »

Migrants: Generally migrants arrive in Spring. If your fortress produces a lot of stuff, and trades away a lot, you'll get migrants in other seasons as well.

Hospitals: It may be because you designated a hospital zone before beds were installed, and dwarves slept on the floor. This isn't considered a reason to move dwarves to a bed yet.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.