Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [SUCCESSION_FORT][NEED_OVERSEERS]  (Read 33584 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

Downloaded, but I'll be at a bridge tournament today, so expect an update tomorrow. I'm GMT+2.

Edit: First impressions: WTF? It took me quite a while to make sense of the fort. I decided to make an arena above the magma sea, with glass floors.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:22:47 am by Mormota »
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

How can I disable the "Warm stone located" warning? I know the area is safe, I just want the dwarves to dig it out.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please post journal-like entries with photo-shots of certain areas of interest (the Icemachine, perhaps?). That way, we can all see and know what goes on. And so Orangebottle, Sphalerite, and I can post our own journals!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Yeah, if we all die horribly in a magma flooding accident, I want to know how it happened.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, if we all die horribly in a magma flooding accident, I want to know how it happened.
This, and so I could write my dwarf's last moments of fleeing, and inevitably dying if Magma is involved.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

Oh, all right. Not VERY much is happening right now, though. Anyways, I'll post an update soon then.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

While you're at it make a summary of what you've done so far; like who has died, what you've done, pictures of buildings, etc.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:46:07 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

What is my story, you ask? Come closer then, and keep quiet. If you can do that, I will tell you a story of hard work and tragedy.

I was a simple armourer, skilled in my craft but not capable of much else. I decided it best not to interfere in the politics of the fortress for a long time, but times are changing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As sprig came, and the rulership was about to change hands, something interesting happened. A group of dwarves, with support from a the craftsdwarves like me, decided it would be in the best interest of our glorious fortress to make Icemachines a democratic county. Though they faced much opposition, they managed to go through with it in the end. Many celebrations were held, and the first order of the elected council was born.

What was that first order, you ask? It was the beginning of something new, and something dark.

To show our pride to the rest of the world, the council decided to build an arena, suspended above the magma sea, to entertain the people and strike horror into the hearts of our enemies. But before that, we would have to cleanse the caves to use the massive amounts of water there to create great fighting spectacles!

Meanwhile, a possessed dwarf finally finished his creation, a granite throne. It shall be the place of the supreme elector during the fights, from which he can easily reach the control panel and change the battlefield.

The signs were there early, but paid no heed. Strange, dark possessions and words in languages not spoken since the beginning of time. The Dark Cult sprang up, but nearly nobody knew of it.

After our count mandated the production of tin items, I learnt that our military was training nicely and was becoming better by the day.

Strange echoes in the deep. We don't know what's causing it, but it would not stop work on the arena.

It is mid-spring, and the main fighting area is nearly finished.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vomit.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

I'm sorry?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vomit.
I'm sorry?
He's probably referring to the forgotten beast made of vomit that just showed up.  The good news is that forgotten beasts made of vomit are pretty weak, and this one doesn't even have any poison attacks.  I recommend sending Derm to fight it alone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Vomit.
I'm sorry?
He's probably referring to the forgotten beast made of vomit that just showed up.  The good news is that forgotten beasts made of vomit are pretty weak, and this one doesn't even have any poison attacks.  I recommend sending Derm to fight it alone.
*Ahem* and Wes.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Nope. Derm solos this.

:)

"Eh, aeons old spirit of revenge, what are ya gonna do?"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Don't want to get vomit in Wes's infected wounds now, eh?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sphala's journal

Arzun keeps going on about tin.  Tin crafts, a tin throne for his tomb, tin items are not to be exported.  It doesn't make much sense.  We don't have any tin, we've never had tin, we don't have any tin ore or tin items to melt down.  Our mission here doesn't have anything to do with tin, nor do we need any of it for either farming or defense.  I couldn't figure it out, until the thought struck me:  Asёn Gemmined, the Tin Iron of Crystal?  Is he trying to make some sort of tribute to my god?  But we don't have any iron either, and anyway, Asёn teaches that every metal has its use.  Well, I suppose I don't mind, if that's what he's doing, but I'd rather he not order innocent dwarves punished for our lack of tin.  Especially since I was assured we have a jail.  Which we don't.  We have some cages in a side room, but nobody's ever used it as a jail.  We did have a goblin back there a while back.  I wonder what happened to him?

I remember having some gold chains made back when I was in charge.  I'll have to bring up to this new elected council the issue of having them used to make a proper jail.  Something were criminals can be locked up for a while rather than having their arms chopped off by Derm.

The council's doing one thing right - finally building that arena that Hatebeard and the other military dwarves wanted.  I couldn't get it done in my time, not while we needed the Icemachine and the new food production and residential areas completed.  I haven't had much chance to see the arena, but I'm hoping they'll want me to help with some clever control mechanisms to let prisoners into it, and maybe even some systems to flood it with water or magma on command, or fire spikes out of the ground.  That would be a fine thing to do to some of these goblins and others who keep attacking us.  Of course, we should also use it to train the soldiers.  Derm and Peregar are impressively skilled, but some of the others could use practice against live targets.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23