Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [SUCCESSION_FORT][NEED_OVERSEERS]  (Read 33613 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Sphala's jounal:

Well, as usual, things are all messed up and it's fallen to Mama Sphala to sort things out.  Me!  Just a humble mason an statue-carver, and they've asked me to sort things out around here.

They've put be in charge as I'm one of the longest-lived here.  Wes Caesar was in charge for a bit, after Arzun had his little episode.

He didn't last to long before running off and refusing any further responsbility, so word came down to the meeting room that I'd be put in charge next.

Then again, Yerp and I have the most to lose here.  It's not just saving the mountainhomes we have to worry about.  It's our own family, the two of us and our three darling children.

Arzun's spends most of his time hiding in his opulent quarters.  Goodness, I did make quite a few statues for him, didn't I?  I thought he'd been exporting them.

I think I'll have to keep my distance from Arzun for a while.  After they told me I'd be in charge, I went through his office, looking for the fortress records and trade agreements.  Some of the things I found in there were a bit disturbing.  I can't say I'm not flattered, but I'm a married dwarf, and Yerp and I are traditional in our wedding vows.  Marriage is for eternity, not just for life.

Oh, getting back on the subject of the fortress.  It's getting badly overcrowded.  What bedrooms we have are tiny, barely large enough for a bed and a little bit of floor space each.

Our farms are small and cramped as well.

I spoke with Di the farmer, and she told me that they didn't even have room to store the produce the farms were producing.  Plump helmets were withering in the fields!  We were sent here to provide the Mountainhomes with food, and look at it going to waste.

Even more shamefully, the horrible beast from the depths that we killed was left to rot in the caverns.  There was plenty of good meat on that monster.

I'll have to speak Ahra about expanding the storage rooms.  Good old Ahra, always ready to work hard mining for the fortress.

Our hospital also could use expansion.

Professor Harken tells me it's really quite small, especially if our military is going to be taking on both forgotten beasts from the depths and armies of goblins on the surface.  He handed me some plans for a larger facility, including a dedicated well just for the hospital.

We do have a decently sized military now, don't we?  Peregar is still in charge, being the most experienced military dwarf we have here.

He's training another crossbowdwarf by the name of 'Firelordsky' now, a recent addition to the military.

Oh, remember how I thought I remembered our soldier Derm dying of infection, and then being back in the military?  I wasn't misremembering!  Professor Harken tells me that Derm's soul somehow migrated into another body, some kind of possession or something.  I can't understand how it works, but Harken tells me that there's no need to worry about it.

After Derm, two other dwarves took on the names of the fallen heroes Kalugog and Hatebeard, but Harken tells me these aren't cases of possession, just young dwarves taking inspiration from those two brave soldiers.

With so many soldiers, I'll have to speak with Cheveux about the status of our weapon and armor stockpiles.  He's been wanting us to mine some more of Asen's gift to work with.

Oh, and as I was looking at the food situation, a dwarf with the odd name of 'Paladin Mitch' asked me about opening up the caverns for fishing.  It doesn't seem safe to me, with all the monsters down there, but I'll look into it.

Speaking of odd names, and I'm not usually one to speak, so, but I hear there's a bonecarver going by the name 'Urist McHuman' in the fortress.  Urist, of course, is a nice traditional name, but I'm fairly certain there's no humans in this fortress at the moment.

That's it for now.  I have such work to do!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that's everyone who requested being dorfed at the moment.  Let me know if anyone else wants to be added.

Turn order looks like this:

Orangebottle
The Master
Sphalerite (current)
Mitchewawa
Mormota
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I spoke with Di the farmer, and she told me that they didn't even have room to store the produce the farms were producing.
Last I checked, there was a massive stockpile dedicated to food directly beneath the dining room.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I spoke with Di the farmer, and she told me that they didn't even have room to store the produce the farms were producing.
Last I checked, there was a massive stockpile dedicated to food directly beneath the dining room.
It's full to the point of overflowing, and appears to have been so for a while.  Besides which, you call that huge?  I'll show you huge stockpiles.  Icemachines' food production is going industrial-scale.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sphala's Journal

There is discontent rampant in the military.

Aside from being stationed next to a rotting monster corpse for weeks - nobody told them it didn't need killing anymore, so they were watching it just to make sure it was really dead, and you can imagine how that thing stank! - they're angry about the bodies of fallen dwarves being left to rot.  Disgraceful, I must agree!

But why are there skeletons of dead dwarves lying around unburied?  The hall of fallen heroes was never finished.  Half the alcoves are empty!  I can fix that, those soldiers will have the finest coffins I can make.

Project Mega-larder is underway.  Ahra told me the rooms I'd planned would be larger than any in the fortress so far, but he and his miners could do it.

Now I'd ordered more nest boxes to be made, but the craftsdwarf was barely able to get a start before being kicked out of his workshop by some babbling madman!

These episodes tended to end badly.  Resigned to losing another fine dwarf, I called for the military...

And then told them to never mind and head back to sparring.

<thoom!>

Now, on to a far more critical issue, the worst to face the fortress so far:  We're out of booze!

<thoom!>

And how can this be, when our food stockpiles are overflowing with plump helmets?  The brewers have nothing to put the booze in, because all our barrels are full of plump helmets.

<thoom!>

Once again, Mama Sphala needs to sort things out.  I'll just have them move the mushrooms-

<thoom!>

Argh!  Can't hear myself think!  What is making that horrible racket!?

Oh.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

My dwarf would so demand to attempt to solo that thing if his body wasn't currently still weakish.

He likes to solo things like this.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Derm has been struck down.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

if his body wasn't currently still weakish.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arzun's Personal Journal:

Ah. I can finally stay in my room all day, every day, instead of having to deal with the insanity of the fortress's everyday life. No, that job has fallen first to Wes, then Sphala. My beloved. I am still unable to locate my fortress log. I just hope that whoever has it hasn't read it yet; I especially hope that it never reaches the hands and eyes of Sphala, Yerp, or their brood.

Nobody noticed that I'd hidden a tomb a few floors beneath my room. The entrance is under the two statues of the wolf near my bed, if I remember correctly. It's got a channeled floor and is filled with statues made by my beloved. It was supposed to be our tomb, but she probably won't accept the thing, because there's only room for two. I just hope that when it's my turn to join Asen in the great beyond, that my tomb remains undisturbed. And that I actually get buried in it. Because if I don't, there will be hellto pay.

I must admit that I am...afraiddisturbed by that Derm fellow. Not only did he come back from death in another dwarf's body, but he's decapitated one of the eldritch abominations that skulks in the shadows beneath the fortress. In one shot.

Just in case Derm proves to be a threat to my barony, I have contracted the leader of the cave fish men again, and have had him teach me the ancient ways of his people. Apparently, they have the ability to bend reality, which is how they killed that beast with wooden weapons. I am learning their ways quickly, obviously because of my natural ability for it. Why, just last week I made a pebble float.

Speaking of magic, a giant bronze statue is menacing the fortress. Did I mention it's alive? Perhaps Sphala knows it's weakness, she's spent so much time making statues, after all.
My Sig

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nope. Derm has been struck down no matter what.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Oh, my leg is just dented, what a relief! Was I set free from hospital, or what?

With that walking statue, I suggest such a clever plan. I had a lot time to think while was laying on the hospital bed

First, we need smooth surface piece say, 4x10 tiles. We have a plenty of it.
here's the side-view:

0)
__________  z=0
########## z=-1
##########
##########

_ is surface, # is a solid earth

Then we're digging this patterns:

1) side view:

z=-1 top view:     z=-2 top view:
##########     ##########     
##...#####     ##########
##.# .. ##     ###..##...
##...#####     ##########
##########     ##########

. is floor, # is solid wall, space is space   

notice, we left an wall marked in brown at level z=-1. It has it's own purpose.
Floor marked in blue is a watertank.

Then, we're setting constructions:

3) side view:
F is constructed fortifications, %% is pump

then, we're digging ramps at the wall, marked brown:

3) side view:
___ _________
##. %% ##
###.F##~~~
##########

Ramps remove the surface floor above them, but since we dug all walls around it - it's not accessible, so we're relatively safe now. But the ramp digging should be processed in a hurry - during that there are some chances that colossus CAN path through non-carved tiles.

Then we channel those ramps:

4) side view:
___ _________
##.  %% ##
###.F##~~~
##########

All that is left is to set locks at both ends of passage at z=-2, set the bait and dig the way up to the surface:

z=-2 top view
   To the bait
###.######
###B###### - raising bridge
###.F##~~~
###.F##~~~
###.F##~~~
###.F##~~~
###.F##~~~
###.F##~~~
###.F##~~~
###.F##~~~
###.F##~~~
###.F##~~~
###B###### - raising bridge
###▲###### - ramp to the surface
##########

So, when everything is ready, lower the bridges. Colossus runs to the bait, and whe he's inside, bridges are raised. Then pumps drop water to fortifications, water floods the colossus, and freezes.

We can later improve it with magma heater under passage, to melt the ice, drain water  and collect stuff left form icicles.But for now it's not necessary.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, you're saying we should kill the colossus with an Icemachine?

I'll have to look and see if there's any way to get water up to that area, and if we have the material to make that many pumps quickly enough.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

So, you're saying we should kill the colossus with an Icemachine?
Actually, when I developed this device, I didn't associate it with name of the fortress. I just wanted to deal with him with no casualties and get a bronze statuette as a prize, which is impossible when you're using magma. So I concentrated on freezing device.

But with such name it's more than just a device. It should be a Temple! We have a Blood Sign of Armok, and we'll have a Freezing Sacrifice Chamber!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The bad news is that we have almost no wood, almost no metal other than gold, and no sand.  We can't build more than a few pumps and have no way to power them, other than through individual pump operators.

The good new is that water is only 13 Z-levels down.  I think the Icemachine can be made to be entirely gravity-fed.  It will take a lot of digging to expose the freezing channel to the surface, but it should be possible.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting that the leader of the army is suggesting we build a trap for a statue made of bronze, when we have a 15-dwarf militia armed with adamantine weapons.

Sphalerite: You could mine more of the adamantine. I don't know if the adamant spikes are actually hooked up to their lever in my office, though. I know the cave-in trap isn't  linked, nor is it finished.

Also, if we run out of people to lead, i'll take over the fort again.
My Sig

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23