Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [SUCCESSION_FORT][NEED_OVERSEERS]  (Read 33586 times)

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [COMMUNITY_FORT]
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2011, 02:12:49 am »

Hm. Swords dwarf then? Did you take the gear that our dead army dropped?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2011, 02:13:31 am »

No archers, no watchtowers, fight at the surface with no way back, we're doomed!
Oh.
Then I should change my weapon to something close-combat. Like hammer or whatever. And make the remaining kills with it, to get the Title.
And use hunt with crossbow only when free from duty.
What about siege machines? If we'd have maze, then we can set a battery of catapults that storm the passage with stones. It's quite cheap, requires no metal and help to get rid of useless stone.
And if carefully design landing zone, then we can have ballistas firing bolts with adamantine heads and reuse those bolts again.

Also, what about adamantine cloth hood? Can I have it, pleease?

PS. Danger rooms are prohibited too, I guess?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2011, 03:23:38 am »

Well. That was quick.

Is there some other fun dwarf free? Preferably another worshiper of Asёn Gemmined for the sake of continuing the chronicle, but as long as the dwarf has a sufficiently strange character, I am content.

In the room of the late militia commander Kalugog Datanmûkhat, there are three scrolls. The third one is half-rolled-open and contains only a few paragraphs.

Sphala is in agreement with me in regards to our need of outdoor fortifications. Her knowledge of masonry includes better ideas regarding chokepoints than I even considered. Hatebeard was released from hospital today. The doctor told her to take it easy with that still freshly-stitched gut wound. Hopefully, she will do so.

Likot 'Derm' Ledrath died of infection. The professor did not manage to save him, despite the wounds not looking too deadly when we brought him into the hospital. Was the bolt poisoned, I wonder? To succeed in battle only to die from an infected wound after months of suffering is a worse fate than I could wish even for a goblin. Our stockpile of raw adamantite is depleted, but I have faith our miners will be able to gather more of this hallowed material.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2011, 08:51:58 am »

Arzun's log, time unknown:

Well. We got another artifact. That it's name is hurtful is an extreme understatement.

Furthermore, the dwarves hauling gold bars from the magma smelter have heard strange noises, felt strange vibrations, in the second cavern level. The Professor thinks it's a beast from before time. I think he's nuts.

This is...impossible. I now know I cannot compete with Yerp. They've had a second child, and Sphala is just ecstatic.

Sphala herself is beautiful, and quite skilled. In fact, she recently became a self-made double legendary.

One thing that came to me recently is that, even though Icemachines is a barony, we have no representative in the queen's throne room. No seat for us? No seats for Id Asol!

Id Nishasiz was enjoying his life. Peaceful, boring, just the way he liked it. He never had to respond to the call to battle, didn't have the entire fort relying on his masonry to keep eldritch abominations from entering the fort. All in all, it was a good life.

That changed quickly when Id entered the barracks to haul some of the clothing that was strewn about on the floor. His eyes flashed a deep blue, and he screamed, wracked with pain. He collapsed.

When he stood back up, he was a different dwarf.

As the militiadwarves stared at him, he grinned and calmly asked for his axe.

"Impressive. There are no records of this sort of possession ever happening."
Harken's expression darkened a bit. "Are you sure that's Derm? A dwarf wouldn't have the willpower to resist the pain that the possession is causing."

Arzun frowned. "Of course it's Derm. Why wouldn't it be Derm, Harken? Why would a demon take over a dwarf, claim to be one that's deceased, and join our militia?"

"Need I remind you of the bluemetal beneath the fort, Baron Loderr?"

"Hmph. Just make sure Derm doesn't collapse from possession pains in the middle of an important battle,, Professor. You have your orders. I'll keep a watch on Derm at all times, just in case."

The dwarves below could hear it. The thud-thud-thud of large things moving along the surface. The clank-clank of metal armor colliding with metal armor. Arzun had been sitting in the Depot when it happened. He yelled out to the dwarves, and immediately ran inside and shut the drawbridge.

There were two squads this time.
One of macegoblins, lead by a speargoblin, and accompanied by at least seven trolls.
Another of Axegoblins, lead by the bowgoblin from the last siege.
Every goblin rode apon a terrible mount from beneath the earth.

They weren't ready, Arzun thought. He immediately ordered the entrance sealed, and it was done with great haste.

Arzun's Log, supplemental:

Good gods, another siege. This time I knew we were outmatched, and had the entrance sealed. I'm sure they'll go away eventually.

Here's an update on the overall status of the fort, been a long time since the last one.

Huh. Getting thirsty, I'm gonna go get a drink.

Down in the first cavern level, a deafening roar was heard.

Arzun went to drink anyway, confident in the fortifications of their well that would keep any beast out.

He shouldn't have been so confident.

As he stared down into the scintillating water, he noticed something...odd. Was that a creature's...head?

Spos broke the surface of the water with another roar, sending Arzun running for his life. The beast then menaced the fort's tamed animals.

It bit the cavy pup in the leg, swung it's head back, and swallowed the poor thing whole.
That was about the time the militia arrived.

Ducim, local Hammerdwarf, was first to get to the pool. He saw the beast and it saw him, and the battle joined on the stairs. By the time the others had joined him in his fight, he was dead.

Peregar and the others approached, spears and sword in hand, and attacked the beast. They caused great damage, but it was only enough to stall the massive creature.

"FOOL DWARVES, YOUR END HAS COME!" it roared.
"I AM FROM A TIME BEYOND TIME. YOUR EXISTENCE MEANS NOTHING!"
That was about the time Derm showed up, carrying his adamantine battleaxe.
He caused even more damage, to the point where Spos collapsed.

One of the other militiadwarves stabbed it's head off with his spear, ending the terrible thing.

Hm. Swords dwarf then? Did you take the gear that our dead army dropped?
I'd be a fool not to take it; it's made of adamantine. You'll be redwarf'd next update.

No archers, no watchtowers, fight at the surface with no way back, we're doomed!
Oh.
Then I should change my weapon to something close-combat. Like hammer or whatever. And make the remaining kills with it, to get the Title.
What about siege machines? If we'd have maze, then we can set a battery of catapults that storm the passage with stones. It's quite cheap, requires no metal and help to get rid of useless stone.
And if carefully design landing zone, then we can have ballistas firing bolts with adamantine heads and reuse those bolts again.

You forget the fact that we ran out of adamantine. Going to have to mine some more, but not without preparation. Also, danger rooms aren't prohibited at all, where would you get that idea?

Well. That was quick.

Is there some other fun dwarf free? Preferably another worshiper of Asёn Gemmined for the sake of continuing the chronicle, but as long as the dwarf has a sufficiently strange character, I am content.
Should be another speardwarf in the squad, though Peregar is the commander now. New dwarf next update.

Wait did I get a dwarf yet?

Oh shi-
Sorry, I totally forgot what you wanted.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2011, 09:49:48 am »

Thanks. Two forgotten beasts and a siege. Only a dwarf can stab somethings head off as well. This fort is turning very intresting. Good work.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2011, 10:38:44 am »

Sphala's journal

Yerp and I have been blessed with another lovely child, but my joy is slightly shadowed by the death of our brave soldiers, Kalugog and Hatebeard and the others.  They were good and faithful followers of Asёn Gemmined, better than I was.  I'll raise our child, Eral Mirrorlesson, and his sister Zas, in the ways of Asёn in their memory.

Arzun was not receptive to my plans for surface fortifications and watch towers.  He said it was too dangerous, that the workers would be exposed and the towers would just give the goblins more of an opportunity to shoot our soldiers.  I offered to do the construction myself, but he said something about me being too valuable to risk.  I suppose I can see his point about the risk.  Even now the surface is crawling with an army of goblins, trolls, and other foul creatures, while our few surviving soldiers hide underground.

Maybe that's the key.  We can make an underground maze of twisty corridors, all alike, and traps underground, with multiple bridge-sealed entrances.  I'll have to speak to the miners about this.  I expect they'll be glad to have mining to do near the surface, away from the horrible monsters that have been coming out of the depths lately.

My memory plays tricks on me some days.  I hear that one of our soldiers, Derm, struck a mortal blow against that depths-spawned monster with his axe.  I could have sworn I heard that Derm had died of an infection after being injured by goblins.  I must have misheard, or misremembered.  Well, glad to learn I'm wrong!  Hope Derm lives long to defend our fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2011, 01:02:07 pm »

Di's rope of history.
Entry two.
Alas, the life is harsh and merciless, both of our finest warriors have died to goblins as well as many their comrades. Those shall be truly missed, may Asen at least provide them with a descent afterlife at least.
Speaking of our fallen warriors, they say there's another guy running around who calls himself Derm, doctor says he is possessed by demon, Arzun believes it's previous Derm returned from eternal rest, as for me, it must have been Hatebeard ghost smacked yet another dwarf in the head. Well at least he is conscious enough to hack whatever monstrosities break into our fort.
Entry end.

OOC: Could you  mention a bit of my dwaf existence in next update, even just skills and farm condition will suffice.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2011, 01:27:15 pm »

Oh.

You forget the fact that we ran out of adamantine. Going to have to mine some more, but not without preparation. Also, danger rooms aren't prohibited at all, where would you get that idea?
Oh, the relieves a bit. A squad of legendary armor-shield-weapon users has quite a chance againist siege. So, I'm suggesting a traning room set next to depots, on the surface, and a maze that breaks the enemy squads apart and puts them under catapult's fire.

And an adamantine hood for me!  8)
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2011, 03:59:38 pm »

Arzun's Log, godsknowwhen:

What the hell. Seriously? I've seen some freaky stuff in my time, but a giant eyeless scarab beetle that undulates rhythmically?

In the end, the cave fish lost a member of their clan, and their chieftain slew the thing. I know he was the chief because I've been meeting him in secret.

Following in Derm's footsteps, our militiadwarves have seemingly possessed different dwarves around the fortress. Kalugog and Hatebeard have rejoined us from the afterlife, and even now they train for the next siege.

Bok sat patiently at the trading depot, again waiting for his chance to trade with the dwarves of Icemachines.

"Hm. Why is it taking so long? They've usually sent their broker our by now."
"Another thing, why hasn't the drawbridge lowered yet? They usually send out a few guards, and lots of haulers. We're at the right place; but there appear to be no dwarves here."
Bok simply sighed, and continued to wait.

Arzun's Log, supplemental:

I'm thinking the ancient ones that made these things had an eye fetish of some sort.

Anyway, as I sit here writing this, Di has been talking to me nonstop. I know I'm her friend, but should I really be forced to endure this?

Arzun held his head in his hands. Today was going to be a very long day.

"So then I went and talked to Sphala and she said I should go outside, and so I did. Then you'll never believe what happened! I made a new friend! His name is Vulo and he gave me a couple of bolts as presents and-"
"DI. SHUT. UP! I am done talk-
Wait. Vulo? Isn't that a goblin name?"
"Yeah, why?"

Arzun's Log, emergency:
Gods. I never thought we'd have to face the demon leader of the goblins, and his entire army, unprepared. This is ridiculous. fourFive squads. One of crossbows, lead by the demon and mounted on creatures, one of Axes, lead by the Hammer lord, one of Maces, lead by the Elite Crossbowman, and one of pikemen, lead by the Axe lord. Oh, and one of trolls, lead by a troll trader. That's it. I'm ordering the entrance sealed off with stone.

Also, I have had it with having to hide under the stones of the earth. We're dwarves. We should be able to trade freely with other races. To this end, I've had Peregar split his squad into three, and recruit more able-bodied dwarves to the militia.

Peregar's squad has all of the adamantine armor, unfortunately. I can't convince the new recruits to take it off and give it to Kalugog, Hatebeard, and Cog, three of the five experienced dwarves in the militia. Hm.
Peregar's squad consists of him, Derm, and three recruits. Kalugog's is her, Cog, and three recruits. Hatebeard has only herself and four recruits. They all have separate barracks to train in, as the small one was crowded enough already.

"Hey mommy, what are you doing?"
"Trying to build this wall, please, for the love of Asen, move!
"Can I watch?"
"Yes, watch from over there!"

Sphala's children could be silly at the worst of times.
My Sig

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2011, 04:02:55 pm »

Wait, the other milita dwarves followed my possession rout?

That was supposed to be a unique thing of mine! Sorta like that guy from failcannon, except with more choppy goodness. ;.;

And I'm still not a commander of anything >.>

Actually I completely forgot to tell you my title, it's Soulchopper, as per standard.

He likes to solo forgotten beasts, within reason.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:06:37 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2011, 05:58:13 pm »

Actually, I'm starting to lose a bit of interest in the fort. Who'd like to turn this into a succession fortress and take the second turn?
My Sig

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2011, 07:25:05 pm »

I'll have a go!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2011, 07:35:18 pm »

I wasen't really wanting Hatebeard to return via possesion. But w/e. And why don't you just make a crazy trap scheme and visit the circus?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »

Yeah I was a bit annoyed at that. It was going to be my thing...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2011, 07:42:06 pm »

I'd also vote for not returning the same characters via possession, unless the person whose dwarf that was specifically has a good in-story version for it.

Also, if we're changing this to a succession game, I'd like a turn.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23