Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help! I have to much clothing.  (Read 955 times)

roboHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help! I have to much clothing.
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:31:55 pm »

I've been playing a tiny evil biome. The skeletal badgers aren't a problem. The normal badgers are. After reclaiming the fort tons of times I have tons of leftover clothing allowing me to buy whatever I please from the traders. What should I do with all this clothing?

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help! I have to much clothing.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:37:14 pm »

magma is always the answer.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:40:36 pm »

Well, you could buy whatever you please from the traders -- if you can last that long, order steel weapons/armor from your liason to stick it to the badgers, and buy it out with the ratty old clothes.

If you think this is an exploit, or the clothes are causing fps issues/constant hauling jobs that steal dwarves from productive work, consider quantum stockpiling and then atomsmashing the lot of it.  You could drop it into magma instead of using an atomsmasher, but that *might* result in teleporting !!pig tail fiber socks!!, and much !!fun!!
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

roboHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:02:11 am »

I don't like using atom smashers. Atom smashers feel too much like an exploit. I also don't have access to a volcano.
I'll just dig down to lava though.
What do you mean teleporting !!pig tail fiber socks!!?
Can I fire them at elves?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:11:48 am »

It's a glitch that happens rarely, I think it's with caged creatures dropped into lava and their gear though, not raw items.

If you put the items in place and THEN flood said place with magma, you should be safe. Though if you manage to get controlled !!teleportation!!, you could probably set elves on fire.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Snake Oil Salesman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:22:31 am »

Try taking your situation of too much clothes, then imagine that about 1 in every 150 is covered with instantaneous-necrosis causing forgotten beast extract. That's when things really get fun. (and although it's fun watching my dwarfs play Russian Roulette with each others socks, its not as entertaining when my best military dwarf instantly decomposes). As for your situation, be creative, and if all else fails, Magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 12:50:32 am »

Magma-portation: Place a non-magma-safe cage trap on the surface.  Capture any creature.  Toss the closed cage into magma.  When it's destroyed, the creature will magically appear where it was captured, on fire.

Never tried this myself, but it's supposed to work.  Now that I think about it, it's probably only the clothing, because a corpse is not an item carrier and equipped items react strangely when used with cages (See: Why can't I look inside the cage to strip a goblins weapons?).

Either way, there's four ways to get rid of something.  1: Atom-smash.  2: Magma-bath.  3: Edge of map, by trade or by macaque.  4: Cave-in.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 01:05:21 am »

Not that I disagree with any part of your post, GiH, but isn't "cavein" just a variant on atom-smash?

On Topic: I say sell it all for (semi-) useful items from traders ... but magma is definitely a useful answer for this if needed.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:39 am »

Cave-ins may or may not be a variant on atom-smashing.  I'd have to know how the coding works to decide on that, and Toady isn't sharing.  Casually, yes, they're pretty much the same, but I'm not one to settle for casual comparisons.

Also: You don't need to make a profit when selling.  Trade everything for 2 logs, it doesn't matter, you have too much clothing as it is!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 01:13:47 am »

Cave-ins may or may not be a variant on atom-smashing.  I'd have to know how the coding works to decide on that, and Toady isn't sharing.  Casually, yes, they're pretty much the same, but I'm not one to settle for casual comparisons.
:D

Also: You don't need to make a profit when selling.  Trade everything for 2 logs, it doesn't matter, you have too much clothing as it is!
Ooh, I'd forgotten that.  I blame too much work and not enough DF lately.  An additional benefit to this is that the next time that trader shows up he will usually bring a better (or at least larger) selection of items to trade.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:36:49 am »

Ooh, I'd forgotten that.  I blame too much work and not enough DF lately.  An additional benefit to this is that the next time that trader shows up he will usually bring a better (or at least larger) selection of items to trade.
Never forget, on a reclaim fortress, they're not traders -- they're the garbage service that brings incentives.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

roboHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:29:33 am »

There is one problem with me trading my stuff.
Currently I'm digging out the sides of the mountain my dwarfs are staying in so I can crash it down on top of them, (I think I'm going to save, test that out and then use it as a last ditch defense measure), and I'm going to need to build bridges and do other stuff to get the traders to come.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 12:56:06 pm »

I haven't tried a cave-in on objects lying on the ground, but I have found that when a natural wall falls on top of a dwarf, their body and all their stuff is still there if you dig it out.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:18:32 pm »

In my mod I have a workshop called the Unraveler.  It does exactly what it sounds like it does.

Unravel those old socks in to cloth or thread and turn them in to bags or something.  Or, get a legendary clothier and sew images on everything.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 04:33:17 pm »

Why is an atom-smasher inherently an exploit? Sure if your fortress entrance has a long thin one to prevent any goblins from ever making it through, it is an exploit and one that will actually induce boredom pretty quick. However as a convenient trash disposal device it basically keeps f.p.s. death at bay almost indefinitely, I don't know of any other way of keeping a long-term fort running (except dfhack, which as the name suggests is obviously exploity).
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2