Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crutch Delivery Service?  (Read 769 times)

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crutch Delivery Service?
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »

Aban Dodókčrith the hunter is quite tenacious. After becoming bored with hunting Giant Badgers and Gigantic Pandas, he decided to hunt in the caverns below. Turning a corner he comes face to face with a Giant Olm.

Combat Ensues:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To recap, Aban got off the first shot but it wasn't enough. The Giant Olm rushed him and tore apart and arm and a leg. At such close quarters, Aban gets off a shot in the Olm's lung. This causes the Olm to flee. Bleeding out and unable to stand, Aban shoots the Giant Olm in the leg to keep him from fleeing and then blows the Olm's brain out.

He then staunches his bleeding and begins a slow one-armed crawl to the Giant Olm in order to return his kill. Several days have passed and he is half way to the Olm. Since he never passed out, no one is coming to help him. And since he is dead set on returning the kill, no one is coming to retrieve the Olm's corpse. At this rate the corpse is going to rot and Aban is going to starve, all alone is the deep recesses of a cavern, with nothing but his trophy and his useless hunting dog to keep him company.

Is there anything we can do to help Aban out? Can a dwarf deliver crutches to him? Can his job be cancelled so another can haul the corpse? Anything at all?
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Crutch Delivery Service?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:43:40 pm »

Press 'j' to see the jobs screen.  Find the job to retrieve the kill and cancel it.  Then go to Aban's Labor screen and turn off all his labors.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:24:54 pm »

Press 'j' to see the jobs screen.  Find the job to retrieve the kill and cancel it.  Then go to Aban's Labor screen and turn off all his labors.

Cancelling jobs from the Jobs List sounds fantastically useful. How do I do this? I'm not seeing how to do this in the Job List hot key hints, forum searches or Google searches. The Wiki page for DF2010:Controls is blank.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »

Press 'j'.  Press the down arrow until you have the job selected.  Press 'r'.  That should remove the dwarf from the job.  If that doesn't work, try forbidding the corpse.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:49:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure jobs can only be canceled from the jobs screen if they're associated with a particular building. I don't think Return Kill jobs are, although I'm not sure (I don't hunt, really).

However, forbidding the corpse will probably work.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:49:29 pm »

However, forbidding the corpse will probably work.

Good idea, but no luck. So obstinate... Perhaps he would abandon the job once he reaches the corpse, but that won't happen this year.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:51:32 pm »

Press 'j'.  Press the down arrow until you have the job selected.  Press 'r'.  That should remove the dwarf from the job.

The remove creature option is grayed out and has no effect.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 11:38:02 pm »

Aban finally reached the forbidden Olm corpse. He then abandoned the task. A dyer then received an ESP message from Aban to help him get to the hospital. I do believe he will live, if infection doesn't get him.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 12:34:43 am »

Just when I thought Aban had settled down in the hospital to recover, he reminds me that he is a dwarf. So the chief medical dwarf walk up to him and says, "You need a good cleaning before I diagnose you." Aban replies, "Not now doctor, I have a brilliant idea for a chain made of bones!"

So off he crawls to create Mostodled, also known as Shameracks. I suppose he felt it was atonement for being mauled by his mark. Here is the description.

This is a yak bone chain. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with deer bone. This object menaces with spikes of yak bone, rope reed fiber and copper. On the item is an image of Basespasses the giant cave spider silk bag in cat leather.

Basespasses is setup in the hospital and contains the thread that will be used to stitch up his wounds. It must have made an impression on him.

This chain is rather timely; I was about to setup a well in the waterfall room.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 01:06:57 am »

This is fairly glorious.  I can just imagine the hunter, silently fuming about his lost kill.  Not that he missed the kill, but that he, a proper hunter, left the fresh corpse in the dirt.  Sure, someone else went to retrieve it, but it was his task, his duty, that he failed.  It's left him laying there in bed, drinking Armok-forsaken water and staring at this gloriously constructed bag that the doctor keeps reaching into.  He doesn't need any damned stitches or crutches.  He needs to grab a pack full of bone bolts and go kill some more damn animals!  It all comes down to the bones, after all.  More kills means more bones, and those bones become bolts, so that he can kill more.  Bones all the way down.  Such brittle, sharp bones...  Hmm...