Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Arena Battles Redux!  (Read 5697 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Arena Battles Redux!
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:19:03 pm »

The old Arena Battles thread was a beautiful, beautiful thread, with much arena-y action and great flavor. Unfortunately, as time went on, the hosts got more and more busy, and eventually the thread died. Well, it's been a while, and I talked to Javarock, the original creator, and it is my honor to say that I am hosting a redo of the thread. I copied the rules below from the original post, except for something in red, to balance out the weakness of kobolds and gnomes. Unfortunately, the warriors all starved to death (It would be near impossible to us the old ones, with th amount of people who won't be playing the redux), so we require fresh blood! Read the rules, and then post yourself a character!

Races allowed:

--------------------------------------
Gnome
Dwarf
Goblin
Elf
Human
Kobold

Skill And Equipment:

----------------------------------------------------
To start with You get to add 5 Skill points to any skill.
(IE, 1= 1 level in the skill picked)
After a battle if you win you gain a point you can store under any skill.
(Kobolds and Gnomes get two free points in Dodging, as well as the NOSTUN tag because they keep on getting bowled over, stunned and killed.)

Okay people, So were going to try to implament a diffrent armour system! Thanks to the help of Draignean. Currently this is in to test how well it works
Also, The metals been edited so its slightly closer together!
The metal's will go like this,  Copper->Iron->Bronze->Steel->Faerie Silver*->Shadowsteel*->Adamantium
Each tier is 10% Increase in quality, while it does makes for more humdrum breaks it also eliminates the massive gaps between the metals that made it very difficult to offer non-generic equipment.
Also possible change to the system, need feedback on, is whether you can get anything other than iron on character generation. If this were to be implemented you would get 10 points to spend on items, and the material of the item dictates how much it costs.
So say Copper costs 1, iron 2, Bronze 3, Steel 5, Faerie Silver* 7, Shadowsteel* 10, Adamantium 15.
You can go with the standard 5 iron, or you can downgrade a little and grab a full suit of armor at the cost of it being slightly lower quality, or go all out offensive and grab a Shadowsteel Great axe and nothing else. Also if this were implemented you would have the option to reject any item from your opponent's corpse and convert their best item into points at half the point value of the original item. (Minimum 2)
If an experienced character wished to upgrade their Arms or Armor because they had filled all of their armor slots they would PM me with what they wanted and I'd update them.(Me stands for Draignean, As he is the cuirrent Manger)
Yes, When you pick either Guantlets or boots you only receive one.(Unless you specifically say Two copper boots or such)
After a fight if you win you get to pick one of any of the equipment your enemy had. (Assumeing you dont convert your own item)
Also due to a suggestion animal trainer skill has been added.
1                    - Cat, Fox
2                    - Groundhog
3                    - Dog
4                    - Leopard'
5                    - Tiger

Dealing with wounds:

--------------------------------------------------------
Following under the ideal that after combat a warrior gets rest and patched up for his next battle,
Any wounds received are gone.

Place of combat:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to the incostency of one host it can really range from self created places to other areas.
As such there is no "Offical" combat area as of yet.

How does Combat work?:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Each day I will do up to five battles.
You will be matched with someone around the same level of skill and equipment .
Some who fought and won Three times won't be squared againsit a new person.
The Combat log will be taken a picture of and posted along with a additonal picture of the victor standing by the bloody mess of the enemy.

What If I lost a battle?

-------------------------------------------------
Once you lose a battle you have to re-apply for a new combatatient.

Application:

Code: [Select]
Name:
Race:
Skill Choices:
Items choosen:
Bio: (If you want a reason for arena fights, Optional)

Also, Any additional questions will be answered on the thread and latter added to the FAQ

FAQ

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:32:31 pm by Powder Miner »

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Battles Redux!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:14:46 pm »

Name: Yerp
Race: Dwarf
Skill Choices: 3 Axedwarf, 2 Fighter
Items chosen: Shadowsteel Great Axe
Bio: Recruit gets bored and decides to test out his skills in the arena.

Why Yerp? Because I can.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:28:36 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:46:08 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:57:24 pm »

Glum vs Yerp

Today we are honored to have two very dwarfy competitors!
The dwarf, Yerp, who you shouldn't judge by his armor -because he doesn't have any-  because he has one of the rare and powerful shadowsteel weapons, a greatax designed to cut off limbs and heads with maximum force!
and Glum, the goblin raised by dwarf child-snatchers, here to make his fort proud and strike the Yerp with his steel pickaxe and iron/copper armor covering all but his lower body!

They stand in opposite corners of the arena, and they waste no time in going at each other! What a charge!

Oh, man! Wow! Yerp's axe just cut through Glum's mailshirt like it was butter! He's cut one of Glum's lungs up too! Glum is in a tight spot, but wow, he's not going to die just like that! He's getting to work on Yerp with that pick, and doing serious damage! Blood everywhere, and now the two competitors are seperated by a line of each other's blood! Wow! Yerp's striking again, but he can't get past Glum's armor!

And just like that! Glum mined out some head ore, and Yerp slides dead from his pick! Impressive, he won despite Yerp's fearsome armament, and the early lung wound! You've made your fort proud, I'm sure, and you're well on the way to fame!

Choose your reward of one skill point, and his axe, or, if you wish half of the axe's points (5) to spend as you wish. You deserve it.

Spoiler: Combat Log (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:41:28 pm by Powder Miner »

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:48:20 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:46:16 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:52:27 pm »

Whoa man that was unexpected
Name: Org
Race:Gnome
Skills:Striking 3, 4 dodge
Items: standard 5 iron armor
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:53:53 pm »

Makign my own character. Don't wory, I won't weight fights in favor of her, I just want to have my cake and eat it too.
Name: Powder Hammerelf
Species: Elf
Skill: 5 hammerelf
Gear: One blue jay leather cap, one blue jay leather shirt, one blue jay leather skirt, two blue jay leather gloves, two blue jay leather boots, and a blue jay tunic, as well as a steel hammer, and a copper shield.
Bio: Enraged over her husband being cheated of possible championship in the arena by cruel hunger, Powder Hammerelf enrolled in and became the top student of the Powder Elven Hammer School, graduating to the new arena where she ha sworm to become the champion, and she won't let anything get in her way.

Also, yes, you can sell items you already have for equal cost. Can't change skills though. Also, remember that I'm changing mining with fighter since they give about the same proficiency anyway, mining can't be upgraded in the arena, and figher helps with other weapons too.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:58:00 pm »

Powder Hammerelf vs Org!

Today we have the elf in leather over there, holding a steel hammer and a copper shield, Powder Hammerelf! She's come to get the glory, for her deceased husband, Powder Spearelf! And he doesn't plan to let some silly gnome get in her way,
vs.
Org the gnome, who is trained in the art of punching and dodging, and decked out in iron armor, ready to prove that gnomes can win fights! And he intends to impres this message on Powder Hammerelf's skull with a killing punch!

They go at each other, their faces contorted with contrasting emotions, hatred and hope. Alas, Powder Hammerelf knocks him over, and

With the fury of a woman scorned, she sets to work on him. SHe's actually quite beautiful in a tightfitting shirt (although padded by a tunic), and a shortskirt, with a cap and some gloves (her late husband's favorite outfit of hers), but really ORg is more worried about getting the crap hammered out of him by Powder Hammerelf, and indeed she kills him with hammer.
Spoiler: Combat Logs (click to show/hide)

I choose a point hammaring and take his helm.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:55:34 pm by Powder Miner »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 08:02:21 pm »

Name: Lobodos
Race: Goblin
Skill: 2 sword, 2 armor use, 1 dodge
Gear: iron longsword iron breast plate, iron greaves, iron boots, iron helmet
Bio: A goblin refuge from the dark tower of the Cruel Sins, he seeks battles in the arena to train for a showdown to free his people from the demonic scourge that shall not named.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 08:10:55 pm »

Name: Gravy
Race: Goblin
Skill Choices: 5 Lasher
Gear: Shadowsteel Scourge
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:18:04 pm by Dyg »
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 08:47:22 pm »

Name: Captain Gobbledigook
Race:Dwarf
Skill Choices: 5 swordsdwarf
Gear: Shadowsteel Longsword. If it doesn't work properly, Shadowsteel Shortsword.
Bio: Gobbledigook is furious, and he plans to take out his anger in the arena. Armed with a sword, his plan is to take some HEADS.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 08:57:59 pm »

Those two battles are all for today. Not enough time.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:57:39 am »

This looks fun.

----------

Name: Eoganachta
Race: Dwarf
Skills: 3 dodge, 2 mining
Items: Shadowsteel Pick (adorned with spikes of shadow)
Bio: After breaching the dreaded underworld, Eoganachta the Miner fled from the hordes of demon spawn and was eventually banished from his home after management tried to cover up the real reason for the 42 Ass Demons ravaging the bowels of the Mountainhomes. Disgraced by the nobility, Eoganachta enrolled in the Arena on the promise of cake and ale. And perhaps a chance to regain some lost honour.

---------------

Hopefully with no more +Gold Coins+ to afford any armour people are sporting enough to aim above the belt and below the neck. Or to those who are real gentledwarves, no where on my person.
Thanks
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 09:04:05 am »

By the way Lobodos, I can only give you one boot >.>
Anyway: Today's foreseen schedule: (Maybre mroe or less)
Veteran Battle: Powder Hammerelf vs Glum
Recruit Battles: Lobodos vs Gravy
Captain Gobbledigook vs Eoganachta

Powder Hammerelf vs Glum
Today, we have a battle of the veterans, the people in this arena who have tasted victory, relish it, and are chomping at the bit to taste it again.
Powder Hammerelf, raging elf with a hammer, the armor-beating weapon and a shield, in a leather outfit which rather questionably covers her, and an iron helm she looted from the gnome she just killed,
vs.
Glum, the dwarf-raised goblin, hoping to gain even more glory for his fort and himself, in his steel mailshirt plus other copper armor, and a steel pick he got from the dwarves, which will basically punch through anything like leather armor- what Powder Hammerelf is wearing.

They're going at each other, an Powder Hammerelf is barely lucky enough to dodge a swipe from Glum, and she's coming back in to get at him!

Oh, lord! SHe just shattered his skull through that helm like it was nothing, and the sheer pain dropped him! And she's coming back in and ooh, she drove those bone pieces through his brain, he's quite dead.

Spoiler: Combat Log (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:42:39 am by Powder Miner »

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 10:53:20 am »

Stabba the stabber
Kobold
5 knife user
2 dodger
large shadowsteel dagger
Me steal knife me liky knife very much, me fight for more knife
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:40:04 am by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4