Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Morul II - The Even More Most Interesting Dwarf In The World!  (Read 5520 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Re: Morul II - The More Modern, Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 07:15:52 am »

Do you have it on all dwarves harvest, or just farmers?  All harvest will help a lot with speed, but just farmers will raise his skill more (by having him focus a lot).

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 10:07:44 am »

You should seriously disable rust.  After about 2 years of atrophy you get a permanent loss in the skill.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 11:11:53 am »

You should seriously disable rust.  After about 2 years of atrophy you get a permanent loss in the skill.
Satarus is right you know. eventually that legendary plant gathering skill drops to grand master...then high master...yeah...
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 02:28:19 pm »

Satarus is right you know. eventually that legendary plant gathering skill drops to grand master...then high master...yeah...

Whats the point of being The Most Interesting Dwarf In the World if he can't KEEP his skills at Legendary? I'll have him do a refresher every once in a while.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 05:00:23 pm »

I now have a breeding pair of badgermen as well as two breeding pairs of Giant Badgers... *Grins* 

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 05:36:47 pm »

A beekeeping fortress, entirely given over to beekeeping and wax harvesting, cannot create enough wax fast enough to allow a dwarf to actually gain enough experience in wax-working to counter the skill rust.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 05:48:46 pm »

EDIT: You know, if I just stockpiled 600 Wax Cakes and make them all at once, I could see him becoming legendary in it.  The problem then is to KEEP him legendary.

Really? o.O Well, if thats the case.. I might as well just remove it.  How do I do that?

Also, I might have to restart (bleh).  The seasonal save happened right after a gobbo-ambush that killed a few people and now EVERYONE is tantrumming.  Can't even savescum, and Morul II got an iron pick embedded (And twisted) in his leg.. while normally this would be fine, since he can gain Crutch-walking, I'm not sure the Fort will live.. I'm gonna wait a little longer to see if it recovers though, as I like this map. 

Edit: Nope, not gonna happen, another ambush + dark strangler siege.. = dead fortress.  Morul II died in his bed, hungry and thirsty and still resting, by a goblin.  I'm modding Goblins out.  Damn ambushes.. I see why Martin modded them out for the first Morul.

Edit 2: Ok, nvm, figured out how to remove rust rates.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:25:08 pm by Crustypeanut »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 01:01:56 am »

Woot, caught a GCS! I think this fort's a keeper.. got him to Legendary Miner and Wood Cutter so far, only in the 3rd year.  Going to update the original post for the new fort.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 03:27:47 am »

5th Timber, 9, Late Autumn - Carpenter  - needed LOTS of cages for defenses, as well as crutches for future Medical SCIENCE. 

Sadly, the GCS died.. we had a FB attack from the 1st caverns, and the GCS died of infection later, as I had stupidly leashed it to my rear entrance.  The FB had a poisonous gas that made people numb, feverish, and drowzy for a month or so.. no casualties from that by itself, though it bed-riddened nearly my entire military.

I think next up will be Pottery or Rockcrafting, as I'm in desperate need of pots.  Though I've been mostly trading for food, i've also been butchering some enemies after each siege, and I have a large amount of un-processed fat and meat laying around without containers.  For Pottery, I've already mined deep enough to find the Magma Sea (and saw adamantine, woo), and have established a kiln down there.  Tons of Kaolinite has also been mined and quantum stockpiled right next to the magma kiln. 

For those who are relatively new to Pottery (which the original Morul didn't get to do), Kaolinite (a minable stone) is used in Pottery to make Porcelain - which is worth as much as silver, and can be made into small and large pots (small pots act as waterskins, large pots as barrels), crafts, hives, jugs, statues, and blocks (aka bricks).  Since no fuel is needed and I have ~300 Kaolinite, this will be a rather lucrative business.  Porcelain jugs and pots also do NOT need to be glazed in order to be usable unlike normal clay (Earthenware) jugs and pots.  Fire clay (Stoneware) also doesn't need to be glazed.  Though, both Porcelain and Stoneware items CAN be glazed for a bonus in value - which I will be doing.  Large amounts of Porcelain crafts + glazing later on, once I start making ash.  I've also gathered about 200 Gypsum, which I'll be turning into Gypsum Powder at the Kiln for the previously mentioned Medical SCIENCE.  This'll save on wooden splints, since they're used for the same thing. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:30:32 am by Crustypeanut »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 04:37:39 am »

Lol, wow.  Of course he'd make a Porcelain Figurine of himself admiring a pick.  Its worth 200 Dwarf Bucks.

....and even better? Another Porcelain Figurine of himself.  This time, he's showing his love to a Blind Cave Ogre.   Because, the Most Interesting Dwarf in the World loves his Blind Cave Ogres.  This one is also worth 200.

Three other Figurines were made by him of himself.. one of him devouring Rat Weed, one of him becoming Book Keeper, and one of him making a masterful wooden cage.   

Edit: He now has 3 Porcelain statues of himself in his room.  More to come soon.  By Armok, he will eventually have an entire Statue Garden for himself, of himself!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:58:24 am by Crustypeanut »

ragman le bon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Morul II - The Even More Most Interesting Dwarf In The World!
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 06:11:49 am »

I'm glad someone is attempting this. I've thought about it (loved the original thread) but don't think I have the time, also didn't know you could turn off skill rust. I hope you've done everything you can with your embark size, number of caverns etc. to keep your FPS high enough for decades of in game time. . .

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 06:12:42 am »

Of course he's making a garden statues of himself! He's the most interesting dwarf in the world, yes or no?  :P
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »

I'm glad someone is attempting this. I've thought about it (loved the original thread) but don't think I have the time, also didn't know you could turn off skill rust. I hope you've done everything you can with your embark size, number of caverns etc. to keep your FPS high enough for decades of in game time. . .

I'm doing multiple things to keep the FPS Highish, if not as high as I'd prefer it to be.  My Max FPS cap is set to 1000, though it generally runs anywhere from 350 to 150 depending on the circumstances.  I have a cap on dwarves set to 20 with babies untouched on a 3x4 embark location, no running water, weather turned on (I'll turn this off later, I plan on making a rain basin to get an underground resevoir for my hospital to speed up the medical process), temperature turned OFF, and I've been quantum stockpiling stones using autodump.. its a godsend. 

As for my population, it fluxuated a bit during the earlier years, since I had no real military.. invasions actually killed people.  Now that I have 2 spearlords and 3 axelords and a hammerlord, defenses are pretty good.  Children have been being born as well, I think we're up to 5 or so.  Morul II himself has chosen a lover, whom i've turned off all jobs for to keep safe.  Once they get official, I hope to have many offspring who will assist their father.  Maybe take up his cause if anything ever happens to him. 

Edit: Masterwork Porcelain Statue? = 3000 dwarf bucks.  Who says Pottery isn't lucrative  :P Too bad this one isn't of himself..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:23:58 pm by Crustypeanut »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:55 pm »

Dwarves can use Large Daggers, Whips, Pikes, and Bows right? Cause I have all four of those now.  Human traders had the pike and whip, got a large dagger from a kobold, and lots of bows and arrows from the Ferric Elves.  Even got some steel bows and 70 steel arrows.  I love Ferric Elves.. so much more bad ass than regular ones.  Plus, they attack while riding giant badgers - and being naked.  Yup.. no pants.. shirts.. shoes.. or even thongs.  NAKKEEEDD, with at most a quiver, a mail shirt, and a helmet. 

Also, with that trade with the humans, got Appraisal crossed off the list.  Would've happened last season with the elves, but Morul II was busy fixing up some poeple after a siege and couldn't get to the elves.. so I had to kill them.  Used their goods to trade with the humans that got him Legendary in Appraisal.. XD

Also, I'd like to note that Morul II and his lover are now married! He took a break from working and got married during it.. no formal celebrations though sadly.  No babies as of yet, but they are now sharing his well-designed room decorated with his porcelain floors, statues, and masterwork bed.

Edit: Apparently someone was right earlier about Glazing and that it does NOT grant Experience - to rectify this, I think I can change the glazing reactions to NOT preserve the original product (the clay craft, jug, pot, brick, or statue), and instead make a PRODUCT rather than an IMPROVEMENT thats a glazed product of the same type as the original.  I'm gonna test this soon on another save, see if that works.  Though not right now. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:01:54 pm by Crustypeanut »

ragman le bon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 04:11:48 pm »

Dwarves can use Large Daggers, Whips, Pikes, and Bows right? Cause I have all four of those now.  Human traders had the pike and whip, got a large dagger from a kobold, and lots of bows and arrows from the Ferric Elves.  Even got some steel bows and 70 steel arrows.  I love Ferric Elves.. so much more bad ass than regular ones.  Plus, they attack while riding giant badgers - and being naked.  Yup.. no pants.. shirts.. shoes.. or even thongs.  NAKKEEEDD, with at most a quiver, a mail shirt, and a helmet. 

Definitely from my experience dwarfs can use whips and bows. I've had pike dwarfs but I can't remember if they actually had pikes equipped. Glancing at wiki didn't help but I think I've heard something about only the largest dwarfs being able to use the large, or two handed weapons. I'n pretty vague on this though

Also, I'd like to note that Morul II and his lover are now married! He took a break from working and got married during it.. no formal celebrations though sadly.  No babies as of yet, but they are now sharing his well-designed room decorated with his porcelain floors, statues, and masterwork bed.

Look after her! If you've got a long running fort maybe you could eventually kill everyone else off except this couple and their children, running one big family business. It would fit in nicely with the theme as well  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4