Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Morul II - The Even More Most Interesting Dwarf In The World!  (Read 5519 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Morul II - The Even More Most Interesting Dwarf In The World!
« on: August 29, 2011, 02:46:07 pm »

In honor of the legendary Morul, The Most Interesting Dwarf In The World, I will be doing the same thing - using the most recent edition of the game, plus some modifications of my own. 

The dwarf in question - Morul II Uzolurol  is the dwarf that will become the newest incarnation of the legendary Morul.  He is a simple Farmer / Doctor, Proficient in Farming, Novice in all five medical skills

The location is in a newly generated world, on a Untamed Wilds Tropical Broadleaf Forest, Mostly flat terrain, with clay, sand, and shallow/deep metals. No rivers or volcanos, but there are enough ponds for fishing. 

The Starting equipment was rather simple, 3 years worth of food and alcohol, plump helmet, pigtail, and dimple cup seeds, anvil, basic mining/woodcutting tools, and two breeding dogs.

Invasions are on, and there are some extra civilizations to contend with - Dark Stranglers, Beak Wolves, Frogmen, and Ferric Elves from the Fortress Defense Mod.  Goblins are modded out because of my last attempt at this, they screwed everything over with ambushes.

Also, Morul II will be doing all the jobs himself until he's reached Legendary in said skill, then it will be open for the other dwarves to do.  So, at first, this is more or a less a hermit challenge + him having to feed ~20 other hungry and thirsty dwarves.. Skill rust has been turned off as well.

The skills that presumably weren't in the Original Morul's challenge are as follows:
  • Archer
  • Fighter
  • Striker
  • Kicker
  • Biter
  • Dodger
  • Wound Dresser
  • Diagnostician
  • Surgeon
  • Bone Doctor
  • Wound Dresser
  • Suturer
  • Crutchwalker - This will be FUN
  • Shearer
  • Spinner
  • Potter
  • Glazer - Put on Hold, does not work.  Will make Custom Reaction later to get this.
  • Waxworker
  • Beekeeper
  • Presser
  • Misc Object User (I believe Shield Bashing counts as this)
  • Concentration (Should happen with training.. rest of my soldiers have it..)
  • Teacher/Student/Leader (Teacher / Student shouldn't be insanely hard, Leader? I'unno)
  • Bowman/Knife User/Pikeman/Lasher (I think I can get some or all of these, I already have a Large Dagger, a bow, and hopefully I can look into getting a pike and whip.. provided dwarves can use all four of these.  Blowgunner will be pretty much out of the question.)

And I believe thats all of them.. if I missed any, let me know.

The start year is year 6.. Let the games begin!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th Hematite, 6, Early Summer - Mining
17th Timber, 7, Late Autumn - Wood Cutting
5th Timber, 9, Late Autumn - Carpentry
26th Galena, 11, Late Summer - Appraisal
13th Timber, 11, Late Autumn - Pottery
28th Slate, 12, Mid Spring - Stonecrafting
26th Moonstone, 13, Early Winter - Leatherworking
3rd Granite, 16, Early Spring - Cooking
21st Slate, 17, Mid Spring - Planting
8th Hematite, 19, Early Summer - Beekeeping
20th Obsidian, 19, Late Winter - Organizing
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:13:13 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Morul II - The More Modern, Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 03:11:47 pm »

Did you disable skill rust in the raws? Good luck getting him to be a legendary beekeeper.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:14:13 pm »

Nope, I did not disable skill rust.. and yes, some of these skills are gonna be a real hassle. 

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »

It's going to be absurdly dwarven to complete the challenge with skill rust on, no? You'd probably outdwarf a third of the community, if not more. Following this one.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 03:24:37 pm »

Go disable skill rust. It will be physically impossible to achieve this goal if it's active.

I'm gonna give it a shot without it.. if it becomes a hassle, then I'll change it.  For future reference, where exactly do I go to change it anyways?

To be honest, I'm more afraid of him dying of old age before he finishes - his predecessor took what, 60-odd years to finish? Considering that Morul II is 77 already.. I might have to re-start it with his first-born male child.. hopefully he'll be named Morul too.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:28:09 pm by Crustypeanut »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:12:29 pm »

I just noticed Morul II likes Winged Women for their Macabre ways.. O.o

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:33:56 pm »

Is it wrong that when he posted that, my immediate thought was 'Winged women? HOT!'
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »

I think Glazer is currently bugged and you literally cannot gain exp in it, so scratch that one.

As for medical skills, I recommend building a drop trap; a retractable bridge a couple z's up linked to a lever. Lure a dwarf onto the bridge somehow (e.g. put him in a squad and station) and pull the lever. If you cause a compound fracture, congrats! You've created instant experience in all five medical skills.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:43:43 pm »

Is it wrong that when he posted that, my immediate thought was 'Winged women? HOT!'
As long as they are !!Winged women!! it's okay for them to be hot.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 08:14:38 pm »

What year did your fortress start in? If it took him 6 years to become a legendary miner, this will be slow going.

As for old age: Changing that about dwarves in the raws would work after world gen, right?

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 09:16:25 pm »

I started on year 6 actually, so it took him half a year to get that.  However, its pretty slow going now.. Its year 8 and he's not quite legendary Plant Gathering.  o.o

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 09:37:34 pm »

Old age will kill you.  Good luck overcoming death.  No need to turn off skill rust- the effective skill level goes down, yes, but it'll still say Legendary Pump Operator (V. Rusty).  Also, do you want all social skills?  I think some are mutually exclusive, even still some need certain personality traits.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 09:58:38 pm »

If he can't get certain ones due to personality traits, I won't count those as goals for this challenge.

Nunzillor

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 02:01:05 am »

Hmm this should be easier when the next update comes out.  Then you should be able to make him immortal.  At least, I think so...

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 05:18:04 pm »

Man I'll tell you one thing, having Morul II provide food for 32 other dwarves.. is a PAIN.  I've had him nearly non-stop farming plump helmets, but due to his low skill he doesn't get much out of them yet.  I've had to resort to butchering all of the male dogs / puppies except one (the breeder). 

Edit: Oh thank the Caravan! I'm glad I made those Stoneware Crafts.. bought an entire caravan load of food and alcohol.

Edit 2:First invasion of the challenge happened..  a siege of Dark Stranglers.  My army consists of 10 Dwarf Wrestlers right now.. but the dark stranglers aren't a match for 'em.   This means.. MORE MEAT! Since I've edited the raws for the butchering of sentients, every invasion = more meat, soap, leather, and bones.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:49:14 pm by Crustypeanut »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4