Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two-player fortress  (Read 1499 times)

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two-player fortress
« on: August 29, 2011, 12:22:12 pm »

I'm looking for someone to share the timeload of making a truly amazing fortress. More defined I'm looking for a person not quailing from moderate documentation and planning. An rpg journal is something I can negotiate about but what in my opinion would be cool to make. Will this story begin?

Fortress design

Starting by carving spaces underground to provide homes (up to 200) for the first generation of workers. After the first generation has settled down the surface fortress becomes a focus and most dwarves will move from the crypts to the surface. Goblin sieges are first repelled passively but then with massive traps (water & atom smasher traps) and the significant military force.

To support a significant military force revenues from trade should be generated. One good way is to use highly refined crafts as trade material. The fortress is preferably on no-soil ground as soil kind of makes it harder to build appropriately on the surface. It would be appropriate for start to just create a huge pedestal of rough stone blocks using the stone from the crypt (acting first as underground housing) mining operations. The city block, or pedestal should first take the shape of a walled area so that goblins and thieves can be held back easily by passive means.

And then, the visual designs for the start.

Underground crypts

Above ground fortress

So is somebody interested in teaming up on this project?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Two-player fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 02:26:37 pm »

The Idea sounds good I like it, Altho any Mods? As with vanilla DF I find it too easy... Once I get a good army set up I have no worries (other then poisonous FB/Titans but the range squad can take it out with ease) and then once I have taht set up... I find no more challenge, and thus find a way to end my fortress.

So a summary

1. I am interested but would like to wait for...
2. Are there any Mods (harder hostiles?)
3. If yes for Mods which ones? I have one that will make it interesting, but the others are good aswell.
4. If no for Mods have goblins and the like been tweaked to be harder?

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:35:26 pm »

We could setup in Dig Deeper, any preferences?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:13:03 pm »

I am not familiar with that Mod, but with the little reviewing of it. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, My Mod is current'y missing the few 'Desired' features that I'm still trying to put into it.

SO for Dig Deeper its a go, expect much !!FUN!! as I try and get myself comfortable with its features

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:04:05 am »

Sorry, just checked Dig Deeper and it's currently outdated. Why I suggested it in the first place is because I've played it  before and it's in all ways more challenging. Higher mining costs and goblins replaced with orcs that have trap avoid. So we should have to go along with Civilization Forge Mod or Genesis Mod, both seem okay.

Im looking at Genesis mod now...
* dragons, sea serpent and hydra get "dragonscale" which can be tanned and is twice stronger than a leather.

But lacks balls.
* genitals' size is lowered.
* goblins get bronze.

But!  The goblin civ is a little tougher and the big monsters (hippo, rhino, elephant plus) have tougher skins, muscles, bones, for fun.
There's also a hostile werewolf civ and illithid/mind flayer civ.

I'm sure if Genesis makes the game better flowing.

Looking at Corrosion mod
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81068.0

"Fortunately, there were survivors. People who refused to take the drug, some rejected it for religious reasons, others for political, some never took medicine to begin with. Nevertheless all of them were considered idiots, savages, and outcasts. Yet here they are, a band of hastily strewn together men and women who are expected to hold back the hordes."

Sounds good!
additionally
# New Food and harder to get food!
# Nerfed Traps (tell me if they’re still shredding limbs)
# Training workshops

Have you played Corrosion? We should try Genesis Mod.