Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reacher Bone Mace  (Read 2075 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Reacher Bone Mace
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:41:53 am »

Is it useful in any way besides raising room value?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Reacher Bone Mace
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:44:21 am »

Captain of the Guard?

i've heard that bone has a low density, so it kinda sucks as a blunt weapon.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:28:27 pm »

Could a hammerer use a mace too?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:05:04 pm »

he can use even a scourge...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:34:09 pm »

Hammerer can use any weapon, or none at all. That being said, bone blunt weapons are still pretty dangerous against an unarmored dwarf. It still has nice bling factor, so you might want to use it anyways.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 06:15:31 pm »

In the hands of a skilled Dwarf, all artifacts are good, especially blunt ones. That being said, I'd try it out before you make a judgement call. Give it to a dwarf, along with a bunch of dwarves with Bronze maces, and send then out to kill a bunch of gobs and read the reports.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:41:36 pm »

I've had a bone mace Artifact in a previous fortress, and in my opinion they aren't to bad. Sure it would be better if it was silver, or gold, or platinum, but, in the hands of a Macelord, against vanilla goblins it's more than enough. Unless you've modded in enemies to use full steel armor or modded goblins to be made out of stone or metal, or something like that, it'll be fine, and he'll do a reasonable amount of damage.

If it was me I'd give it to my best Macedwarf, but I try to use all my Artifacts weapons/armor unless they are completely ineffectual which this one is not.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 08:12:27 pm »

Sometimes dwarves won't use artifacts. I've had dwarves take *Bronze Mail Leggings* over a pair of artifact Bronze Mail Leggings, covered in gemstones and silk.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:45:32 pm »

Sometimes dwarves won't use artifacts. I've had dwarves take *Bronze Mail Leggings* over a pair of artifact Bronze Mail Leggings, covered in gemstones and silk.
you have to assign it to them, and even then, if they have grown attached to the old equipment (yes even armor) they might not put it down.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 10:03:45 pm »

Captain of the Guard?

i've heard that bone has a low density, so it kinda sucks as a blunt weapon.

Do NOT give it to your Captain of the Guard unless you want a legendary Mace wielding executioner.

I gave an artifact bone warhammer to my Baroness as bling, who for some reason started attacking an elephant. 

By the time the elephant was dead, she was a legendary hammer dwarf and has no problem killing armored goblin invaders.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 11:16:21 pm »

That noble deserves something nice. I mean, she decided on a whim to start killing elephants for sport, then uses her elephant bashing skills to kill goblins.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:26 pm »

Would "not being immersed in magma" count as "something nice"?