Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Equipping my troops: What should be adamantine?  (Read 3324 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Equipping my troops: What should be adamantine?
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:21:22 am »

Simple question. I got a shitload of adamantine wafers and steel bars, but I'm not sure what to make for my troops in terms of armor and weapons. Got any suggestions?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
Re: Equipping my troops: What should be adamantine?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:25:19 am »

Simple question. I got a shitload of adamantine wafers and steel bars, but I'm not sure what to make for my troops in terms of armor and weapons. Got any suggestions?

Thongs and Hammers.

All day, every day.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:30:53 am »

Everything except shields and blunt weapons is better when it's adamantine.
Adamantine blades rely heavily on edge sharpness, so you better make sure they are of good quality.
No quality adamantine swords can get their slashes deflected by mere clothing.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:34:58 am »

Swords, axes and spears should be adamantine.

I don't know if it is better then steel as armor material, but its extremely light, so even a fully equiped dwarf would be as fast as he would be naked.

Blunt weapons (hammer and mace) and shields should be made from steel, because adamantine is far too light to deal any blunt damage (and dwarves love to shieldbash)

Crossbows should be made from steel for the same reason, should they ever end up in melee combat steel gives them a little chance to fight back, with a adamantine x-bow they are completely defenseless. (can you even make candy x-bows? Doh, can't remember right now :P)
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:37:31 am »

Blunt weapons (hammer and mace) and shields should be made from steel, because adamantine is far too light to deal any blunt damage (and dwarves love to shieldbash)
Hammers and maces should be made from silver.  Shields should be made from copper.  However, Cyroth was correct for his reasoning.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:39:38 am »

Hammers and maces should be made from silver.  Shields should be made from copper.  However, Cyroth was correct for his reasoning.

I know that much, but the question was only about steel or candy :D
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:10:21 am »

Also, you should probably retrain a few FBs, and equip them with their most powerful and terrifying weapon...
...Shirts. Made out of Adamantine.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:14:52 am »

(can you even make candy x-bows? Doh, can't remember right now :P)

I think you can. Still, they are quite useless.

...and one of my forts had two artifact adamantine crossbows...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 11:09:58 am »

all armor should be made from blue candy, though clothing should not. candy clothing is awesome, but unfortunately it wears over time, and it would suck to have a masterful adamantine robe worth tons just wear away to everyday use.

Although... having a group wearing nothing but adamantine robes and swords does sound pretty badass to me.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 11:23:55 am »

I remember a comment from long ago that said adamantine chain (mail shirt) was not very good. Is this true? I also have a lot of candy and am considering adamantine armor for my marksdorfs (helm, mail shirt, gauntlets, greaves, high boot)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 11:35:07 am »

Make sure you equip everyone with addy WEAPONS first- since dwarves are the only ones to use steel (with the odd kobold thief here and there,) steel armor will be better than any weapon you are likely to face. Addy armor is lighter, but the increase in speed and effectiveness is marginal.

Weaponwise, adamantine can slice through anything as though it were butter, which means that no enemy on [insert world name here] can stand against it- this is important for fighting inorganic FB's, Titans, etc. Because adamantine is so light, it makes for a terrible blunt weapon- no maces, hammers, or shields. Only make slashing or piercing weapons out of adamantine- swords, axes, and spears. Watch the limbs fly.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 11:39:48 am »

Make crossbows, shields and bolts out of steel. Make armor, swords, spears and axes from the Blue Metal. Adamantine is extremely strong and so makes incredible armor, is ten times sharper than the sharpest non-adamantine metal and so makes powerful edged weapons, and is virtually weightless and so makes crappy blunt weapons.

EDIT:
Make sure you equip everyone with addy WEAPONS first- since dwarves are the only ones to use steel (with the odd kobold thief here and there,) steel armor will be better than any weapon you are likely to face. Addy armor is lighter, but the increase in speed and effectiveness is marginal.

Weaponwise, adamantine can slice through anything as though it were butter, which means that no enemy on [insert world name here] can stand against it- this is important for fighting inorganic FB's, Titans, etc. Because adamantine is so light, it makes for a terrible blunt weapon- no maces, hammers, or shields. Only make slashing or piercing weapons out of adamantine- swords, axes, and spears. Watch the limbs fly.
Dammit, that's basically what I said.

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 11:56:54 am »

The problem with making adamantine armor is that it's so thin and light that it doesn't protect you very well from blunt weapons.  However, it is far superior at protecting you from slashing or piercing weapons.

I make my cloaks and edged weapons from adamantine.  Armor from steel, and whatever my densest material is for shields.

If you find your Adamantine cloaks wearing out over time, then use the Unraveler from my MOD to unravel it back in to cloth and then weave another one.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 12:06:07 pm »

I'm not so sure of that, actually. Shields are currently bugged so that any material will be equally effective in deflecting an attack, so I usually make them out of wood; it's heavy enough that walloping a wild animal or lightly-armoured goblin with it will still do some damage and it frees up metal, fuel and dwarfpower for making weapons and armour. (You have to think about this sort of thing when you're trying to introduce universal conscription and training for a population of sixty dwarves before tackling the caverns.) The same goes for crossbows, though mine have been modded with bayonets since 40d.

Besides, I've always thought the ideal metal for making any weapon is the metal you've got on hand. A copper axe or shortsword is better than nothing, better than a copper hammer against some enemies in fact, and iron hammers will crack skulls just fine as well.

The problem with making adamantine armor is that it's so thin and light that it doesn't protect you very well from blunt weapons.  However, it is far superior at protecting you from slashing or piercing weapons.

I make my cloaks and edged weapons from adamantine.  Armor from steel, and whatever my densest material is for shields.

If you find your Adamantine cloaks wearing out over time, then use the Unraveler from my MOD to unravel it back in to cloth and then weave another one.
Leather is quite good at withstanding blunt damage, so an adamantine breastplate and greaves over leather armour and leggings seems like another good setup.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 12:18:15 pm »

Leather is quite good at withstanding blunt damage, so an adamantine breastplate and greaves over leather armour and leggings seems like another good setup.

Except that all those things are shaped, and thus incompatible with one another. Breastplate over Leather shirt (over Mail) and Greaves over Leather Trousers works well though.
Pages: [1] 2