Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crisis and horror  (Read 3880 times)

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
Crisis and horror
« on: August 29, 2011, 04:21:09 am »

I embark, founding "Strokedaxes" on the brook "Murderseizures". A suitably auspicious start.
For a few months, all is well, until the merchants have visited, and I see fit to check my trade agreements via the civilization screen. I notice that my ruler is king Urist Orbstake. Intriguingly, his title is King / Elf Administrator.
'Splendid' I cry, 'Mighty Urist of the Mirrors of Imprisoning has subjugated the elves and rules both kingdoms.' I decide to gaze upon the legends of his ascension to the dual throne. I open the legends viewer.

At this point, as a way of understanding the creeping terror that began to wash through me, I suggest listening to this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jssmikotM4 while reading on.

Urist Orbstake is an elf. My king, my absolute monarch, the final arbiter of dwarven lore is a pointy eared tree-goblin, and he dares to hold the name Urist.
I dig deeper.
The last five dwarven kings have all been elves. My nation has suffered thirty years of shame.
I dig deeper, and then it hits me.
My civilizations population is listed as 746 Cats, 10 Yaks and 387 Elves. Not a single dwarf lives among the Mirrors of Imprisoning. The seed of resentment that has been growing within me begins to bloom into a bloody flower of vengeance.

Strokedaxes must grow strong. It must be a gleaming example of dwarven economy, engineering and happiness. It must live in deference to it's elven overlords, sending bountiful tribute. It must grow to the point at which it is deemed worthy of the monarch coming to reside within the throne room I have prepared just for him, at which point the usurper will become acquainted with the oldest tradition of the dwarven nobility.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crisis and horror
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 05:40:20 am »

Obviously, you misdirect your wrath.

Look closer:
civilizations population is listed as 746 Cats, 10 Yaks and 387 Elves
746 Cats

This. This is who is responsible for the horrible humilation of dwarfkind and this is who must pay for it with their blood!
slaughter cats. Leave noone alive. Burn cats on the bonfires made of cat bones! burn crops too, optionally.
Also when the king arrives, consider sparing him - he's nothing but a cat's puppet.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:43:31 am »

Obviously, you misdirect your wrath.

Look closer:
civilizations population is listed as 746 Cats, 10 Yaks and 387 Elves
746 Cats

This. This is who is responsible for the horrible humilation of dwarfkind and this is who must pay for it with their blood!
slaughter cats. Leave noone alive. Burn cats on the bonfires made of cat bones! burn crops too, optionally.
Also when the king arrives, consider sparing him - he's nothing but a cat's puppet.
What's more: If you count together elves and cats you get roughly number 1.000, which is a notable number. It's quite clear that Armok demands a notable number of sacrifices.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:05:17 am »

anyways:

I suggest reaserching the battles and relationships of these elves more closely, try to find why their in your kingdom in the first place. You never know, you may find another cacame origins story somewere in their.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:05:46 pm »

Out of curiosity, where are you finding civ stats -- population numbers, specifically?

TrullLulli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:56:14 pm »

It is clear you must take over this so called dwarven civilization and reform it

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 01:09:07 pm »

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 01:58:47 pm »

Is your liaison an elf?

You have to take great care on your quest to rebuild your dwarven empire: The only dwarfs you probably will ever get are the Starting Seven and 7-9 migrants during the first year.
Start an excessive breeding program: set your population/child cap high, establish a safe and and selfsubstaining outpost, then let your dorfs idle and fraternize until they are married: They will spawn babies like rabbits.

I do not know if cousins can marry in fortress mode, if not, you may  have only this generation of void-born dwarvesto accomplish your gory glorious goals of cat skulls and elf blood.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 02:12:29 pm »

Oddly, immigrants appaear as usual.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 03:04:35 pm »

migrants will be generatored every single wave, because toady hasent yet implamented taking dwarves from the current population pools. as such, you should have no problems concerning migrants, bar when you get the king? all dependable.

eather way, your main goal is the increasement of the dwarven population. youll need to do a succesion of fortresses to acheive this, abandoning each one after youve acheived a set population/set of goals. doing this succesivly will dump the fortress dwarfs into the civalisations population pool. although that will only occur if you abandon in a time of peace, otherwise the seigers tend to butcher most of the population i belive. :P

Good luck my freind, Armok be with you.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 01:11:59 pm »

For years the king's leaden throne had been awaiting his arrival. It sat within an iron box-like room suspended over a magma pipe, weighed down by a memorial to each of the 50 dwarves who fell in the line of duty.

Since the founding of Strokedaxe sieges had broken against it's walls over and over again like waves on the beach, and within the citizens toiled, trained and grew strong. The population of 200 sported an army of 60, each a master in their field, led by Militia Commander Inod Giltbrew, one of the founders of the fortress with over a hundred kills to his name. He lost a hand long ago and now fights only with Razonshen, an electrum shield awarded to him for his prowess in battle.

The plan was simple, prosper, attract the king, send him to sit upon his throne, then send the pointy eared bastard hurtling to his magma doom. Oh what optimism.

The king arrived. Urist Orbstake turned out to, indeed, be an elf. I begin to put the plan into action. Slowly the horror dawns on me. The king will not follow my directions. As an elf his is flagged as "friendly" rather than a member of my civilization. He cannot be assigned to burrows or have rooms granted to him. All he does is stand on the edge of the map.

The dwarves of Strokedaxe had come too far and lost too much to give up now. Inod Giltbrew was sent out alone to slay the usurper in the daylight and leave his body for the birds. As Inod drew near, the king began to flee. Seeing a potential tactic in repositioning the elven monarch and constructing his doom in a more dwarven fashion, I cancel the order to kill him.

Inod doesn't listen.

The militia commander goes rogue. He ignores orders and crushes the elf with his shield. Then, standing over the corpse of something that is no longer king, he shrugs off his armour. He keeps only his shield. Clearly, I assume, his work done, his people liberated, he must be retiring.

The king's entourage arrive and rather than celebrating their nation's finest hero, they attack Inod. This is a group of legendary, armed, armoured dwarves. These filthy collaborators are no match for the king slayer. He dispatches all 5 of them with nothing but his shield, suffering only minor bruises in the process.

Furious at his betrayal, Inod walks back towards the fortress. Rather than the thanks he expects, common folk charge towards him to attack. None survive.

Almost in tears at this point, I do two things. First I build a coffin in what would have been the king's throne room and designate it Inod's tomb. Secondly, I mobilise the military to muster on Inod's location. Over the next few minutes, I become deeply aware of the levels of sheer deadliness a dwarf can achieve through seven years of constant training. Inod went down in the end, impaled by a Spearmaster from behind. He took eight of his formerly loyal troops down with him.

Inod Giltbrew is taken down to the depths of the earth and placed within his tomb, surrounded by the memorials to the 50 dwarven heroes he will now be joining. The doors are sealed, and the level is pulled that sends him down into Armok's arms.

"A section of the cavern has collapsed". Without unpausing, my work now done, I abandon the fortress.

EPILOGUE:

I open the legends viewer to review the saga. I am pleased by the results. Strokedaxe is now home to a new, independent civilization of dwarves. I did it. I freed my people.

The Mirrors of Imprisoning's population now reads 746 Cats, 10 Yaks and 386 Elves 1 Dwarf. The king is dead, but they have acquired a dwarven infiltrator. The fight goes on.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 02:23:18 pm »

You know what to do next. Slaughter the rest of them in adventure mode.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 02:38:17 pm »

Truly, said dwarf should be tracked down and given the greatest honor we can make:

A place in a Last Supper type picture with Ajax, Cacame, Ironblood and the like.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:52:54 pm »

Look up Cacame. All the dwarfier for having started life raised by elves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 09:12:52 am »

I open the legends viewer to review the saga. I am pleased by the results. Strokedaxe is now home to a new, independent civilization of dwarves. I did it. I freed my people.

*claps*  Awesome story and well told!
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"
Pages: [1] 2