Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Whats your fav thing about Regen FE?

Industry, I love all these new toys
- 2 (20%)
Special upgrade-able castes (not in yet, but it will be)
- 1 (10%)
Cool weapons and cavern layout, I'm scared of the caves now. Yay
- 2 (20%)
Kobolds! I like this updated KC version
- 3 (30%)
The other races with differnet playstyles
- 1 (10%)
The new difficulty
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19

Author Topic: |({[<---*Regeneration V5.0*--->]})| Alpha 2 get it  (Read 48773 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: |({[<---*Regeneration V4.5a*--->]})| Phoebus & ASCII DF-34.02
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2012, 09:30:50 pm »

Yea that sounds Cool for blast Furnaces, the chance for steel would have to be rare (because its steel and should be harder to get) but pig iron chances should be idk like 20%ish... i dont know much about pig iron and such.
Probally a %1 - %2  chance of steel and %10 - %20 for pig iron and some for extra iron.

Blast Furnaces seem to only be for Iron Smelting (mass smelting for that matter) so I guess chances for Steel and Pig Iron would be nice bonuses for sure

Hold on... remember that weird thing when i could not use my sheriff and such, i think my fortress were humans and they cant use them or something and they dont get the buildings i guess...  how did i get to humans =/
Yea humans have no sherif but get a Captain of the guard at pop 20. Humans lack the technology that dwarves do. You can see what civ you will be playing as post embark by looking at the neighbour screen "tab" if HUMANS is at the top your embarking as humans, Dwarves for well dwarves lol

EDIT:
Should I also make Blast Furnaces produce worthless "Slag"? my source

EDIT2:
Also Goblins will have Trolls, Ogres, and Orks as castes, with special 'BOSS' castes that can be WARBOSS, WARLOCK, and probally some horrible poisonous mutant
or at least I hope I can get that in for V5.0
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:10:07 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2012, 10:19:22 pm »

I like the Slag idea

And gobbbos Sound cool like that
Slaying elves since the dawn of time

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2012, 10:34:18 pm »

I kinda want slag to have a purpose other then just a useless by-product. Ah maybe can be used to make ammo for gunpowder weapons, kinda like shrapnel. But it might be too brittle/weak if it's anything close to welding slag.

Ok wiki'd Slag and it's practially useless (other then being there to control tempeture and help keep the new metal from oxidizing)

But it seems that in modern day use slag is ground down and mixed into concrete to make it slight stronger. How does Slag Blocks sound? Build with slag

EDIT:
Or slag Glass :/

Source

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2012, 10:57:15 pm »

Slag Floors awww yea!  8)

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:31 pm »

hey was wondering what you went by your question earlier. Im going to assume you are inquiring as to the equipment for brewing, and will respond as such. However if im wrong just let me know :P. So for beer you need a container for boiling, something for straining, a vat of spinning drum for roasting grains, storage for primary fermentation, storage for secondary fermentation/flavouring/carbonating, then you would need tubing(if your being safe and limiting the amount of oxygen allowed into the mix), and finally a vat for ice water to run the tubing through for after the boiling step. For wine its slightly different but for the most part fairly close. However in the interest of providing a broad info base i will tell you. For wine making you need a large container to crush the fruit, next you need a strainer to remove particulate from the juice, next you need your primary fermenter, then your secondary fermenter (or carboy if you want to be technical), strainer again then done.

So there would be the various equipments you need for beer and wine making, the same equipment would be used for hard alchol the only difference being many more steps. I also like the idea for syndromes for the alchol. oh and p.s. thx for saying i helped with the alchol industry :P im just an info and idea guy, your the one who did all the hard work.

and also the idea of slag is cool as it would be able to be used depending on which direction you go with it, either a garbage that is produced and needs to be gotten rid of or a material that in sufficient quantity can be reprocessed into something useful.

edit just as im posting my thoughts are sniped, any ways slag blocks would be cool

edit 2 just an idea but the slag could also be used to create glass or used in the glazing process

edit 3 on the wiki source you provided the slag of steel is even used as fertilizer
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:16:04 pm by Stronghammer »

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:43 am »

The Idea that my steel slag can be used to help my trees grow so i can turn it to charcoal So i can make more steel and get more slag to grow more trees to make more steel.... Efficiency...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:16 am »

@Stronghammer:
Thanks I'm probally going to trim the requried stuff down a bit for the brewery, Because DF brewing involves anything that can be brewed lol.

So maybe to build the brewery assembly you will need:
9 Post/Beams (for the boiling vat and two storage barrels(big))
1 metal vat
2 barrels(big) (new storage container that can hold lots more food/drink then normal barrels/pots)
5 building mat items
1 - 2 Pipe Sections
oh and probally two pieces of cloth (strainers)

Bring all these to the Tool Maker's Workshop (renamed Miner's Workshop) and get a Brewery Assembly and then build your brewery.

Also I'm making stuff like Silver Barb, Sun Berries, and Strawberries only brewable at the Brewery. They seem to be special plants and should be only brewed with the proper equipment.

And your welcome, You basically made the Alchol Industry I just assembled it (still needs work as far as reactions go but it's almost done) just like you helped me get the propper materials setup for the brewery.

@Slag:
Slag blocks it is, I can probally add the [GLAZE] reaction class to it. Also should I just add "make slag into blocks" at the Mason's Workshop 2 and maybe turn it directly into windows? I could make it a [SAND] token and you could probally grind it into powder to use for glass making. Slag for glazing and glass will require some science for sure. and depending on how I try to make slag glassable, the might be desserts of slag or something. As for fertilizer, I think I'd have to have it get ground down to Potash I don't think I can make new ferilizers.

@Joey:
Glad you like the slag blocks idea :P the goal of an industry is to make a profit from everything they can right?

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2012, 10:30:10 am »

oh your barrel idea gave me an idea, could it be possible to mod in larger barrels, not building ones as suggested in other threads but just barrels that can hold more. Maybe call them storage barrels or something. Also the idea of masons turning it into blocks, as well as another shop grinding it down into powder for glass, and potash  would be cool. The idea for the brewery materials is a good one, that way its more universal. All in all good work on the mod thus far. Also pleeeeease if you do a blast furnace could you make it do more then just iron and steel, as often on maps i have heaps and heaps of copper and silver yet very little in the way of iron.

Edit: also maybe a in between stage for the blast furnace, maybe grinding down the ore to help increase the yield or effieciency. However many would get irritated by that step as you would need bags (unless you made a toy just called whatever powder), i just like the idea of needlessly large amounts of industry and machinery. I am awaiting the day when toady inputs usable pipelines and moving machinery.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:33:46 am by Stronghammer »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2012, 10:49:26 am »

Yup I will be modding in a larger barrel, but you will need two empty ones to build the brewery.

I'm also thinking of making each of the brewing levels require lots of barrels, instead of 25 or 50 drink in one barrel it should be 5 or 10 drink in a barrel. Why well I just remembered that you wanted a fortress that can export booze to make a profit, so having the ability to trade off smaller barrels instead of your large booze barrel.

I could have a generic (batch smelt ores) which would grab any ORE and power smelt it, of course that might make it seem unrealistic with the fact so many metals are being melted together (tin, zinc, copper, silver, etc) as the dwarf will just grab whatever ore and drop it in. But that is the fastest way to allow for power smelting with very little reactions (Meph had managed to reach his reaction limit and I have no idea how close I am, So I must try and conserve reaction space as much as possible)

As for the grinding down the ore, great idea. That Grinder Trap part I made waaaaay back when will be excited to be told it can come out and play (plus it will probally make some delightfully messy traps ;) ) I will make the grinded ore into tool/toy for saving bag space.

EDIT:
Grinder will probally remove the "break stone" reaction from the quarry and might have a small chance to give grinded ore from useless rocks.

EDIT2:
Damn Brewing good and exellent booze is gonna be a hassle now, But it's worth it? this is two example reactions I got to make for every new booze

Spoiler: Good Brew (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Exellent Brew (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:03:08 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:19 am »

cool awesome great, cant wait to play. also the batch smelting would be nice.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2012, 11:55:39 am »

To speed things along, I created a simple little one purpose program to spit out the raws for each booze making reaction. All I have to do I input what plant I want and it spits out everything but the reaction's index and a simple "brew xxxx" Should make the Brewery reactions go swimminly

Then after then making the blast furnace. Then Tools and assemblies.

EDIT:
Program as simple as it is, makes this Reaction cloning sooooo much faster and easier then replacing 6 plant ID's in a sea of text by hand

EDIT2:
Brewery reactions done, 23 in total. 10 good, 10 exellent, and 3 misc (strawberry, silver barb, sunberry)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:15:49 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2012, 12:31:26 pm »

very nice, good idea too

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2012, 01:41:38 pm »

Science has the most votes thus far, So I think I'll just get ready to add "Venom sacs" to poisonous creatures so you can extract venom from it when you butcher them "Giant Cave Spider Venom Sac" then you can poison weapons/ammo by using the "dump" technique.

Gunpowdered weapons, Pistols that you can use by them selves or add a dagger/shortsword for extra melee attacking. Rifles that have better shooting damage but the only upgrade is a bayonet. So pistols being weaker but having the ability to have a better melee where as a rifle is stronger but not as good in close range combat.

Bolters I will leave in but their ammo will be unqiue (so no mixing your gun squads)

-Pistols and Rifles will use: pellets/slugs/rounds

-Bolters use Shells

Saddly you cannot mix ranged squads (no archer crossbowman axe throwing squads) because all their ammo would goto the wrong person (archer picks up bolts, can't shoot bolts with bow. crossbowman grabs throwing axes, can't shoot axes. throwing axeman grabs arrows, can't throw arrows) which is why I will make pistols and rifles use the same type of ammo, so you can have a mix of Pistol dwarves with swords and daggers ready for a melee and rifle dwarves firing away. they will all shoot but the rifles will have the ranged damage bonus.

Now guns are not made yet (excluding the bolter) As I just finished up the Brewery reactions and am now on the blast furnace.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2012, 02:03:31 pm »

I voted for "other" I think dwarves should be sciency, but the magic should go to elves, and religion to humans.

About the armored pets: A picture says more then words:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Works beautifully. I let you know when the entire system is done, this was just a test. You still want do other creatures ? Next think I would do is arena testing how good/bad they are. I believe that they survive longer, but cant fight well. Any chance for teeth/claw/nail upgrades of the chosen metal ?
they should also be unable to breed. Makes no sense that fully armord clad puppys are born ;)
I also made a custom graphic for the armored dog, so that works as well. I did not use castes for this reason though.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2012, 02:13:12 pm »

I voted for "other" I think dwarves should be sciency, but the magic should go to elves, and religion to humans.

About the armored pets: A picture says more then words:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Works beautifully. I let you know when the entire system is done, this was just a test. You still want do other creatures ? Next think I would do is arena testing how good/bad they are. I believe that they survive longer, but cant fight well. Any chance for teeth/claw/nail upgrades of the chosen metal ?
they should also be unable to breed. Makes no sense that fully armord clad puppys are born ;)
I also made a custom graphic for the armored dog, so that works as well. I did not use castes for this reason though.
Yea the teeth, claws will be easy just need to remove the tooth and claw tissues then re-add in the same ones but using the chosen metal.
Breeding will be easy fix, just have to remove the CHILD tag

Other animals should be easy aswell, just let me know which ones.

EDIT:
Humans are a mix of Science, Magic, and Religion, dwarves are all science (maybe some magic who knows ;) ), elves all magic, and kobolds religionous with some magic. Goblins/Orks will just be whatever evil suits them, same with undead.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:15:05 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19