Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RogueBot: IRC Roguelike Mafia - Currently Offline!  (Read 3098 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
RogueBot: IRC Roguelike Mafia - Currently Offline!
« on: August 28, 2011, 06:42:58 pm »

Server: irc.newnet.net
Channel: #roguebot

So, in my last month or so, I've taken to creating a Roguelike Mafia IRC bot. It's given me something to do over the summer. Now, however, it has finally gotten to a point that it is somewhat playable, and luckily, Think0028 is able to host the bot online when I'm unable to.

Right now, the bot has a few minor kinks to work out, but overall, it is actually playable! So, join the server. If you don't know how:

Step 1. Download an IRC client of your choice. A good choice is mIRC, but any client will do. I personally use Chatzilla, which is an extension for Firefox.
Step 2. Open the IRC client. Type /server server_name. In this case, it would be /server irc.newnet.net. It may take a bit to finish connecting to the server.
Step 3. Type /j roguebot. This will join the channel called #roguebot.
Step 4. Start playing!

If you have any ideas on how to improve RogueBot, feel free to post them here. Any ideas are welcome: Typos, bugs, item/class/action ideas, and even additional commands. I'll attempt to incorporate as much as I can into the game if I can manage it. And feel free to rewrite/rename any sentences/items/classes/actions you wish, so long as you provide a good rationale.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:17:20 pm by webadict »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RogueBot: IRC Roguelike Mafia - Currently Online!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »

Note: If you can't or don't want to download an IRC chat client, you can use Mibbit right in your browser without downloading anything. I do suggest getting a dedicated client, however.

That being said, go ahead and join, we're in the server right now.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 08:45:25 pm »

Fixed a couple of bugs and added some functionality. And it isn't as bad as Mr.Person might say it is.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 12:09:10 am »

It is ready?
Yaaay! Are you going to send me code so that I can rip it's guts out and rebuild it in my own image?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:03:25 am »

The only shitty part is the !help system, but even that's getting improved to the point of acceptable.

Now the slowness fo the system...
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:35:12 am »

It is ready?
Yaaay! Are you going to send me code so that I can rip it's guts out and rebuild it in my own image?
Depends on if I get an improved copy or not.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:38:16 am »

The only shitty part is the !help system, but even that's getting improved to the point of acceptable.

Now the slowness fo the system...
The slowness is server-sided. If it was faster, the server would kick the bot. There ARE some servers that would allow faster messaging, but the one I'm on boots for spamming if you make it talk too fast.

So, I COULD change the bot to make it faster, but it involves going to a different server. And doing some other stuff.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:44:40 am »

Depends on if I get an improved copy or not.
Depends on if I get the time to polish it into an improved version.
If I can, then without question you will! Sort of buried under a ton of work right now, but I promise that if I can make it sing, your getting a copy.

I'll even put your name first in the credits.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 08:08:43 am »

The slowness is server-sided. If it was faster, the server would kick the bot. There ARE some servers that would allow faster messaging, but the one I'm on boots for spamming if you make it talk too fast.

So, I COULD change the bot to make it faster, but it involves going to a different server. And doing some other stuff.

Obviously, the fix is to host your own IRC server.  Then you could integrate the bot into the server, allowing it to talk as fast as it can, as well as allowing it to be played from any room in the server (at the same time, even) and giving you ultimate control over everything.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 08:32:23 am »

Obviously, the fix is to host your own IRC server.  Then you could integrate the bot into the server, allowing it to talk as fast as it can, as well as allowing it to be played from any room in the server (at the same time, even) and giving you ultimate control over everything.
Hosting my own server is expensive, unless I want to host it from my computer, which is fairly pointless since it'll only be running when I am, and it'll eat up my bandwidth, which is incredibly small with 2 other roommates.

So, no thank you. That would be most unnecessary. I'll see if I can get the bot hosted on globalgamers eventually, which would make it faster.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: RogueBot: IRC Roguelike Mafia - Currently Offline!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 08:57:04 am »

Actually, IRC takes very little in the way of resources, but it would probably eat said bandwidth if it's already shared.

(Clearly you should sneak it on to a server at your job)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 10:00:44 am »

Well, that MIGHT work, if I didn't work for my school. And I had any dedicated access to the server.

And yeah, my bandwidth is pretty crappy, but I'll see if it's possible. Otherwise it'll be globalgamers.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 12:41:25 pm »

This is awesome. Thanks wuba.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 02:56:42 pm »

This is awesome. Thanks wuba.

Oh yeah, this. Thanks Webadict.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 07:59:12 pm »

Any care to play RogueBot now? I'll be on in a few minutes.
Pages: [1] 2