Poll

Place

Hol-
- 0 (0%)
-Dep(p)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Western Roman Invasion : "Attila the Douche" (End)  (Read 26830 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: "Again with the Romans?!" : Western Roman Invasion (VH/VH, Part 2)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 12:22:36 am »

So, let me get this right; Stworca is not only a Napoleon level general, but he can also make one of the shittiest nations ever and turn it around in three years?

I call shenanigans.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 12:47:28 am »

Ah, Stworca, you never cease to make the rest of us look like idiots when it comes to Total War.  And we love you for it. 

I need a bit of help, Oh Mighty Stworca.  I have a game in BI ( haven't played it in a while, but I can hop right back in if I wanted to ) where I'm the saxons.  I tried to take out a single city faction, failed, savescummed, won battles against them, got backstabbed by other factions, including the two Roman empires, ( I think ).  They have sent their armies at me, I have pushed them all back so far, but every battle gives me casualties, dead soldiers that I can't replace.  My economy is crap, I have only one city, my army is rotting because I keep taking casualties and can't hire any new soldiers, and I have enemies surrounding me at all sides.

Nice scorched Earth strategy, unfortunately I can't do that, because i only have ONE [CENSORED] CITY!  I don't know how to disband buildings, I don't think I can disband my current army, or else I'll be too weak to repel any assaults.  From one commander to another, I need your help. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 12:50:13 am »

Very nice work.  The first few years of WRE are micromanagement hell, but once you get the peasant/sea trade renaissance going, things should go swimmingly!  I was surprised by a few of your choices.  I personally prefer to hold off attacking the celts a couple turns so I can build enough peasants to hold England without revolt, I like keeping my barracks there.  I also don't find it necessary to pull out of yugoslavia if you move your capitol north to Milan.  This is semi-historically plausible since the capitol was later moved to Ravenna.  On the other hand, it might just be asking for trouble from the ERE to have a border with them.  I generally disband the expensive elite troops in rome rather then send them north, advanced roman troops aren't much better then committes except for the siege equipment.  I think I might do more abandoning in spain then you do but it's been a while.  I tend to make use of mercenaries as fire brigade police force.  All of this is a bit more expensive and means that I need to economize on buildings.  But I find that I don't need to build christian shrines in as many locations and I usually delay building some of the less profitable docks until the checks clear.  I am also very surprised that you expand on pagan temples, as I think that's not a good investment since the stable course is towards religious uniformity.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:54:23 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 12:58:12 am »

Ah, Stworca, you never cease to make the rest of us look like idiots when it comes to Total War.  And we love you for it. 

I need a bit of help, Oh Mighty Stworca.  I have a game in BI ( haven't played it in a while, but I can hop right back in if I wanted to ) where I'm the saxons.  I tried to take out a single city faction, failed, savescummed, won battles against them, got backstabbed by other factions, including the two Roman empires, ( I think ).  They have sent their armies at me, I have pushed them all back so far, but every battle gives me casualties, dead soldiers that I can't replace.  My economy is crap, I have only one city, my army is rotting because I keep taking casualties and can't hire any new soldiers, and I have enemies surrounding me at all sides.

Nice scorched Earth strategy, unfortunately I can't do that, because i only have ONE [CENSORED] CITY!  I don't know how to disband buildings, I don't think I can disband my current army, or else I'll be too weak to repel any assaults.  From one commander to another, I need your help.

As the saxons, you should start within spitting distance of the lightly defended rebel city of campus frisii in what is today the Netherlands.  That should make for an easy initial target.  After them, you should try to take out your fellow barbarians.  When you do, they will form a horde and go after the western roman empire.  Once the empire is mauled, you can swoop in.  Very often, barbarians will not defend their only city very well, meaning that if you use a spy on them, you can take them down with a single, surgical strike.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 01:08:19 am »

This is fantastical. You are some kind of witch, Stworca.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 01:19:16 am »

As the saxons, you should start within spitting distance of the lightly defended rebel city of campus frisii in what is today the Netherlands.  That should make for an easy initial target.  After them, you should try to take out your fellow barbarians.  When you do, they will form a horde and go after the western roman empire.  Once the empire is mauled, you can swoop in.  Very often, barbarians will not defend their only city very well, meaning that if you use a spy on them, you can take them down with a single, surgical strike.

Believe me, I tried that.  Remember, I'm already at war with practically everybody around me.  If I attack one faction, the others will swoop in and kill me.  Im a decent tactician, I have fought off roughly equal sized armies, sometimes even larger armies, but I'm not that good. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 01:25:35 am »

Interesting.  Have you tried pre-emptively hording yourself?  If you have only one city, you can go to your capitol and decide to start a horde, giving you 3-4 stacks of decent troops that you keep until you take a new city.  England seems like a fitting target, although you need to watch out for the powerful Romano-British army that will appear when you take both settlements.  The roman navy is pretty weak around Britain so that shouldn't be too hard a target.  From there, you can conquer the celts (who don't horde) before moving south with a nice secure powerbase.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 05:38:42 am »

Saxons can not turn into horde. This is why playing as Franks is so easy. You have a few indy cities around you, as well as two horde-less foes (Alemanni and Saxons).

What i would do.. hmm.. Ally yourself with burgundians, take the Indy city just west of your starting position. Trade Rights with everyone and their mom. Then wait for an opening.
The easiest target would be WRE, but you can only waltz in when They are in trouble. Rebellions or wars are required. You also can not afford any casualties at all. (This should be obvious though). Now, the Franks MAY attack you at some point. Taking them out is 'easy' but then They turn into a horde that will swoop north and raze everything. (Barbarians tend to swoop)
If you feel lucky you can take them out early, and hope that they attack someone other than you (It will only work if they are at WAR with someone else than you)

Alternatively you can limit yourself to one province on the mainland, and conquer Britain. The 4 provinces there are very easy to defend.. Until them R-B start appearing. Take the 2 celtic provinces first, build up, then take the rest and hope for the best against Romano-Brits.
In the main land Don't go too far south until all the horde business is resolved.

1. Very nice work.  The first few years of WRE are micromanagement hell, but once you get the peasant/sea trade renaissance going, things should go swimmingly! 2. I was surprised by a few of your choices.  3. I personally prefer to hold off attacking the celts a couple turns so I can build enough peasants to hold England without revolt, 4. I like keeping my barracks there. 5. I also don't find it necessary to pull out of yugoslavia if you move your capitol north to Milan.  This is semi-historically plausible since the capitol was later moved to Ravenna.  On the other hand, it might just be asking for trouble from the ERE to have a border with them. 6. I generally disband the expensive elite troops in rome rather then send them north, advanced roman troops aren't much better then committes except for the siege equipment. 7. I think I might do more abandoning in spain then you do but it's been a while.  I tend to make use of mercenaries as fire brigade police force. 8. All of this is a bit more expensive and means that I need to economize on buildings. 9. But I find that I don't need to build christian shrines in as many locations and I usually delay building some of the less profitable docks until the checks clear. 10. I am also very surprised that you expand on pagan temples, as I think that's not a good investment since the stable course is towards religious uniformity.

1. Thank You.
2. I was surprised that it worked!
3. Perhaps it's more 'stable' to do so, but with an army that we have there : standing around would be a waste. Besides, the looting money that early on means economic buildings made faster, Yay!
4. No need for it if you take out Celts right away.
5. I don't see us holding the hordes back in Yugoslavia. I will probably use the chokepoints in alps. Holding Yugoslavia means not only bordering ERE.. But it also means that hordes will curbstomp us sooner. I don't mean huns here. ALL of the hordes will go for us on VH (At least that's what i predict.. After playing Spain and all that..)
6. I will have the Rome garrison on the battlefront in the next turn. It would take much longer to build such units myself. It would also be more expensive. On their way they have strengthened a city or two for a bit, while i was doing my magic. (disbanding, peasanting etc.) I remember all the Hordes going after me when i was playing Franks, and i didn't ever hold Illyrian lands. I think Raxolans were the only eastern nation that didn't roam in Germany and Italy.
7. I thought about it, but Corduba is easy to hold, and the north province is required to win. These two are also profitable, and i like having an open road to strike Berbers from the north, should i want to.
8. Well.. I went with the fastest economical recovery route that i could think of.. And we still took out 4 provinces. I'm quite happy with the outcome, and can't see how we could be more aggressive. No matter how much money i would invest. We attacked with everything we could.
9. I'd rather deal with it early, this way : Whether the cities rebel or not, They will be christian. Once i retake Iberia and Carthago nova, they will all be christian (or close to christian, which is fine by me). The only thing i'll need to remember is picking a christian heir. Although i hope that our current emperor will live happily until we WIN.
10. It is a good investment for the next few turns. I need those extra 5% happiness. We will go all christian in a bit. Once our I-WIN crusader from the east conquers Aquincium. He has.. i believe.. 45% conversion by himself.  :o

I have the next 3 turns already played.. But as always, suggestions, questions and pies are welcome.
I guess the main question to the viewers that i have is regarding Aquincum. Holding it will lead to pain. But we like pain, don't we..? Hmm.

Stworca is not only a Napoleon level general

I WOULDN'T LOSE AT WATERLOO, LIKE THAT MIDG--  (You are too kind)
Also, 3 turns are 1,5 year. :D
I was lucky that the damn, useless peasant (Our beloved emperor) died in turn 2.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:49:48 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 05:58:12 am »

That's the thing.  I try to ally with someone, they stab me in the back next turn.  The first time this happened, some faction to my east brought their army up and attacked my main ( I think it was my only ) city while my army was down south sieging some blue faction ( they were really hard to subdue too, so many general units ).  The bastards from the east demanded that I become their vassal, and I grudgingly accepted, thinking that this would probably automatically end my game.  Then the idiots decided to just f*uck it, and sieged me, despite me having practically surrendered.  But that was their mistake.  My "surrender" bought me an extra turn, enough time for my main ( and currently decomposing ) army to return, and with the help of the city garrison, drive back the intruders.

So yeah, every faction around me is a douchebag, but you're already used to that kind of behavior Stworca.  Remember, this is NORMAL MODE.  And another thing, I cannot fight a battle with no casualties.  At best, I lose around only 20-40 men, AT BEST.  Seriously, I should just restart the campaign, find a secluded area, and turtle the game from there.   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 06:08:01 am »

Well 20-40 still counts as no casualties. "Casualty" is a unit getting wiped out.
Since the main land is so amazingly hostile, just turn your Saxons into Anglo-Saxons. Report back once you conquer the world! (Or at least britain!) You might as well 'move'. Sieging WRE cities in France, and should you get backstabbed home, abandon it and move fully to newly conquered lands.

mainiac seems to know more about Barb Invasion though, so he might give you a better advice.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:08:58 am by Stworca »

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: "Again with the Romans?!" : Western Roman Invasion (VH/VH, Part 3)
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 08:37:34 am »

Spoiler: New possibilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Finishing touches (click to show/hide)

I've made some moves, but as always, i'm open to suggestions. I don't plan on wiping the Franks just yet (it would be very tough to do), we will cripple them though. Wipe out their army, siege the city for a bit, but TRY to not take it.
Should it backfire : Meh. I've had worse.

One thing that i've considered, was sending our "Anne Frank" army to.. *drums* siege Byzantium. I'd toss a few siege weapons on the way and we could win the game in a short time. BUT! It's risky, and even if we succeed : IT would be bad. I don't plan on finishing the LP too soon. We want them hordes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:12:37 am by Stworca »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 09:20:31 am »

Just because a city has negative income doesn't mean it isn't contributing to the empire.  Troop costs are divided among the towns according to population.  These are the vast majority of maintenance costs.  So in fact, even the most negative income town actually is contributing to the empire's finances, it just isn't contributing less then average.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 09:26:39 am »

Wait, are you saying this to me, good sir?

I know how this one works :) To figure the actual gain or loss one needs to add the "wages" and "upkeep" paid to the 'official' income, and then reduce it by the upkeep of troops needed to control that city.
The "-3000 gold" Rome was actually making more money than any other city in the empire.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 09:30:12 am »

I figured you probably knew, but what you wrote after taking cathago nova had me a little puzzled.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 09:32:25 am »

It was because despite low taxes and 1000+ units garrisoned, the public order was still 0%.
No way we're keeping a town like that.

Edit : In a few turns it will be Christian. After we take it later on (perhaps enslave and not exterminate this time) it will be stable.

Once again : Any suggestions you people might want to have : Toss them right at me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:47:59 am by Stworca »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12