Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One chance to bring someone back, who does my character choose?  (Read 2095 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

I'm writing a story.  Don't want to give all the details, but a girl (age... 12? 13?) gains extreme psychic power, enough to bring her best friend back from the dead who died recently.  But doing so will make her lose that power forever.  She could use this power in other ways, like say, be employed by the government as a psychic agent and be set financially for life.  A different character chose this path, and is offering it her.  Or any other interesting, legal ways.  But the big question is, if she can bring back anyone, why should it be her best friend?  Why not bring back say, Mother Theresa?  Or a victim of a murder?  Or someone who was on their way to change the world for the better, and got killed on the way?

I'm curious what Bay12s responses are, 'cause I really, really can't think of one.  Yeah I know, the character should be choosing for me, but I'm really stumped.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: One chance to bring someone back, who does my character choose?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:55:45 am »

She's 12, she can't possible be expected to make the decision and if she's smart enough to consider it she's smart enough to realize this fact. She should wait maybe a decade, and THEN she can bring her friend back if she still think it's the best use of her powers.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 10:13:17 am »

Does she need to do that NOW?

She could get rich with her powers, set all sorts of stuff up, and then bring the friend back.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 10:17:27 am »

She could get rich with her powers, set all sorts of stuff up, and then bring the friend back.

I agree, profit from this power as much as possible, THEN you raise someone from the dead.  Not Mother Teresa, or Martin Luther King, they did good in life, but in this age, what could they do as zombies?  If this girl finds the corpse of say, Mary Magdalene or some other biblical figure, raise them up.  This will prove God, and everything that happened in the bible, exists. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 11:11:39 am »

I agree, profit from this power as much as possible, THEN you raise someone from the dead.  Not Mother Teresa, or Martin Luther King, they did good in life, but in this age, what could they do as zombies?  If this girl finds the corpse of say, Mary Magdalene or some other biblical figure, raise them up.  This will prove God, and everything that happened in the bible, exists. 

Not necessarily. It could prove the existence of the person, but not necessarily the other elements of the scripture, without a good amount of plotline-bending. We could say, for instance, that Tuthankhamun existed (and he certainly did!), but he's certainly not a god, although in his time his followers thought the pharaohs (kings) were divine. In fact, his name actually means 'Living image of Aten' (the sun disk).
..And I suppose you'd have to know where these people are buried. At this point they'd have decayed to a rather inconvenient state.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:40:12 pm »

I'm writing a story.  Don't want to give all the details, but a girl (age... 12? 13?) gains extreme psychic power, enough to bring her best friend back from the dead who died recently.  But doing so will make her lose that power forever.  She could use this power in other ways, like say, be employed by the government as a psychic agent and be set financially for life.  A different character chose this path, and is offering it her.  Or any other interesting, legal ways.  But the big question is, if she can bring back anyone, why should it be her best friend?  Why not bring back say, Mother Theresa?  Or a victim of a murder?  Or someone who was on their way to change the world for the better, and got killed on the way?

I'm curious what Bay12s responses are, 'cause I really, really can't think of one.  Yeah I know, the character should be choosing for me, but I'm really stumped.
Depends really on what type of child she is. We need more information before we caqn make a good guess.

Armok says as Armok would do. If she has the same weird sort of Sheldon thing going on, then do what he says. Armok: He's like if Socially Awkward Penguin got a Diploma in Philosophy
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 02:03:56 pm »

Or read a poorly made website on it and decided he was a expert.

But yeah, a 12 year old? I would think that it would be the friend right away.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 01:04:51 pm »

Depends how smart she is. Most would bring back their friend without a second thought. But when I was that age, I would use my powers for profit, fun, !!FUN!!, lulz, respect, the good of mankind, science, ect...
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:20:44 pm »

why did the friend die?
if he died recently, there'd be nothing stopping the 12 years old from EXTREME revenge. then maybe she could bring him back.
after all, why bring him back if "the evil" might kill him again?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.