Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Guess where the Bay 12 temporary HQ is...  (Read 4459 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Guess where the Bay 12 temporary HQ is...
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:00:06 pm »

We'd been wanting to go to the Ancient Near East Room in the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a long time.  Zach especially, since he's studied various ancient cultures.  With DF being part of an exhibit in New York, we though, hey, there's an excuse!, so we decided we'd get out there.  We set up the trip back in May.  We weren't sure we'd have time for an Bay 12 Meetup, so we haven't said anything, since we were trying to pack a lot into two days, including meeting friends we haven't seen for years, but we even thought we might try to get something next-day organized at some point for whoever could drop by.  In the end, we didn't even get to meet our friends, since they've evacuated!  We are enclosed in our hotel in the city at this point, waiting for the storm to come in.  We'll keep you posted if possible.  I only have code for secondary projects on this laptop, so there won't be any dev logs until we fly out of here, and it's unclear how that's going to play out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guess where the Bay 12 temporary HQ is...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 07:06:51 pm »

So that explains the lack of dev logs over the last few days then :P

Would you be allowed to post a picture of the display with DF in it? I'd like to see how the normal, outside world views it...
[Signature]

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »

Be careful when jumping in strange ponds.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:11:10 pm »

Try to have fun.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:21:22 pm »

We'd been wanting to go to the Ancient Near East Room in the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a long time.

Is that the one with all the bronze swords and stuff?  I went to NY with my high school Classical Society some years ago, and I spent almost of all my Metropolitan time in that room.  It is incredibly badass.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:47:07 pm »

My grandmother lives just a few blocks from the end of the evacuation zone, so I've been following the weather a bit. Best of luck to you in the coming storm, Toady... Hope you'll get another chance at the opportunity, perhaps I can fly over there and come by if you do.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 07:48:33 pm »

Well that explains a lot. Sorry to hear you got stuck in the storm! Looks like it's going to be at its hardest tomorrow. Hope it's not like some places that have been hit (down power lines in water everywhere, etc.) From the news, sounds like New York's entire grid is getting its power switched off or something. I could be wrong.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 07:52:04 pm »

Still, you get to be stranded in a huge city when a hurricane hits. And you don't even live there, so all you need to deal with are ruined plans and a great view of the power of weather. I hope you guys enjoy yourselves.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 08:26:18 pm »

Best of luck to you guys, and all else under the looming threat of inclement weather.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 08:27:15 pm »

Random thought... what's actually the threat of a hurricane in NY? Wouldn't the winds get dispersed near instantly by all the buildings? Is it just flooding that's the problem?

...I suppose if an undersea volcano erupted into the hurricane, turning it into a massive torrent of swirling airborne magma, then it travels across a swamp, where it picks up alligators which are set alight and hurled by 150mph winds through the windows of nearby office buildings to prey on the populace and spread conflagrations about the city, it would be a fairly decent threat.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:28:47 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 08:50:29 pm »

Well you can take it as chance to see the power of storms and floods first hand - as long you stay in a safe place. It may bring you a idea how to handle "storms" like hurricanes, Taifuns. or Orkans in df.

I hope there are no nuclear powerplants near the place where you are staying. Even thought they are save (to a highly disputeable degree) i atleast wouldnt want to be near one if the forces of nature hit the general area. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 08:52:06 pm »

Thats unfortunate timing, I guess it will be an adventure though.  Flights out might be backed up for a while so maybe you will have time to do everything you set out to do :/
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 10:05:59 pm »

Bon Voyage!
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 10:18:52 pm »

So, are we going to see more impressive weather effects in Dwarf Fortress after this? :P
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 10:22:59 pm »

@DrKillPatient:
Well, consider the heavy winds, buildings would be swaying every which way. Then you have the flooding and surges, there goes subway operations, and let's not forget blackouts caused by the storm. I hope you like climbing stairwells, because elevators are kaput to minimize rescue operations, and set emergency support towards the more critical parts of the city.

New York isn't exactly a place I would call that is 'used to the weather' to the extremes of even a CAT1-2 hurricane. Even if they were, the infrastructure is pretty well fastened in place in regards to time they were made, so failures can get catastrophicly bad if they get hit hard. I don't mind hurricanes so much (kinda used to it living in the front lines of Hurricane Alley), but it's a shame Irene was aiming high this time.

That sucks that your plans got messed up. I wish you the best of safety. For the uninitiated, these can get rough.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:26:49 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: [1] 2 3