Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Guess where the Bay 12 temporary HQ is...  (Read 4456 times)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
Re: Guess where the Bay 12 temporary HQ is...
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 05:21:11 am »

I was here in Miami for Andrew. (I've been in a few named storms.) We are used to the threat of hurricane and a good many people are prepared. A greater many people are not. Again, this is Miami, FL, USA.

I don't think I'd like to be in NYC for a hurricane. (That is a gross understatement.) Elevators and subways are a no-go. There will be power outages, planned and un-planned. Phones will be a dream you once had, as everyone will constantly be trying to call in or out. (Texting may help this time, dunno.) It'll be a mess.

But, like after Andrew, you'll see people come together for the greater good. Did you know that in the absence of a working traffic light on US-1 people will actually stop and wave you through? All six lanes. I don't know traffic in your country, but in FL, TX, NY, DC, VA, NJ, WA, but not UT, that shit don't happen normally. Many people threw up block parties, mostly because the freezer was full of stuff going bad, (no power,) and general major cleanup was the norm for a fortnight. Plus, there will be a few guys selling ice at $10 a bag.

I should imagine your biggest worry is going to be, "When are they opening the airport? I like the rain in Sealth better."
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 05:51:24 am »

Put Scamps on a pasture near your entrance,so in case of an abush you'll be prepared.

PS:Watch out for snakemen!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 07:05:48 am »

You guys picked a hell of a time to visit NY. I hope the weather clears up so you guys can actually go out and see your exhibit! I'm sure the people at MMoA would love to have you on hand.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 10:10:15 am »

We've survived the actual storm without any trouble.  From our hotel, we couldn't even hear it, though we got to see some weeds flip around a bit.

Would you be allowed to post a picture of the display with DF in it? I'd like to see how the normal, outside world views it...

I'm not really sure.  We have pictures (but no cable to transfer them here).  As far as I know there weren't any policies, but I'll have to check.

We'd been wanting to go to the Ancient Near East Room in the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a long time.

Is that the one with all the bronze swords and stuff?  I went to NY with my high school Classical Society some years ago, and I spent almost of all my Metropolitan time in that room.  It is incredibly badass.

Yeah, it was really cool.  We got a chance to visit the main places we wanted to go (Met/MoMA) on Friday (a little rushed).  There were a ton of little rollers for making repeated impressions on clay, and vessels with animals on them...  and half the interior walls of one of Ashurnasirpal's palaces.  (example image from google search, on flickr)  The wall panels you see on the left and right extend all the way around, and they are covered with gobs of cuneiform.  The Egyptian section was awesome as well.  Here's the temple from that (google search), although I liked all the zillions of little figurines in the cabinets even more, he he he.

Thats unfortunate timing, I guess it will be an adventure though.  Flights out might be backed up for a while so maybe you will have time to do everything you set out to do :/

Yeah, I expect that will still be a nightmare.  My first flight was cancelled, and I'm not sure what's going to happen with the next one I got.  At least we've got one for the moment.  We'll just have to keep trying until it works.

So, are we going to see more impressive weather effects in Dwarf Fortress after this? :P

From what I saw, it'll probably help more with the inn release, especially with people getting stuck in them.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

HartLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Surrender... or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 10:54:04 am »

It's funny how you guys just happened to be up there on the one day a hurricane hit.

I hope there are no nuclear powerplants near the place where you are staying. Even thought they are save (to a highly disputeable degree) i atleast wouldnt want to be near one if the forces of nature hit the general area.
You do realize you MIGHT be able to make a fully functioning reactor go critical (from outside) if you !!NUKED!! it without any warning. Might.
To give you an idea of how strong those concrete walls at the reactors are, there's footage on youtube of a jet being launched at high speed into a slab of concrete of a similar design... the jet disintegrates, all that is left of it besides some settling dust are the wing tips which had stuck out beyond the slab.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 02:18:39 pm »

yeah but there is more then a concrete-shell to a nuclear Powerplant ut i am not here to discuss that. I was just worried about toadys and NYs safety.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 02:31:01 pm »

Toady is struck by inspiration! The Programmer sails off to New York.

Good luck, have fun, see "Gone with the wind" and be surprised it has nothing to do with weather.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 02:42:07 pm »

We've survived the actual storm without any trouble.  From our hotel, we couldn't even hear it, though we got to see some weeds flip around a bit.

Would you be allowed to post a picture of the display with DF in it? I'd like to see how the normal, outside world views it...

I'm not really sure.  We have pictures (but no cable to transfer them here).  As far as I know there weren't any policies, but I'll have to check.
From their website: "No photographs or videotapes may be reproduced, distributed, or sold without permission from the Museum." However if you called them up I'm sure they'd be cool with it. At most I imagine they'd want you to wait until the exhibit is no longer showing.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 11:07:30 am »

Surely they wouldn't object to you using photos of the exhibit of your own creation?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 11:34:03 am »

Surely they wouldn't object to you using photos of the exhibit of your own creation?

Yes. Yes they would. Within the walls of the museum you follow their rules.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 12:02:18 pm »

Timing is everything, eh?

Hope your trip was wonderful, and may your return be safe and swift.

HartLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Surrender... or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 05:29:48 pm »

I was just worried about toadys and NYs safety.
Sorry to rant,
 [deleted rant about ignorance]
Oops :P,*facepalm*, ranting again :-X

Edit for after I posted I remembered what a headbang is.*facepalm again*

...may your return be safe and swift.
Emphasis on swift.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:02:18 am by HartLord »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 08:05:20 pm »

Toady, you've been asked if the storm itself gave you ideas, but did you see anything cool or pertinent in the exhibit? Those rolling stamps (a form of which was also used by ancient mesoamericans) could be a cool addition, although I suppose they're the sort of tool that's currently abstracted away in fortress mode.
Quite likely not, but he's nonetheless obligated to ask.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:45:38 pm by Cruxador »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 10:49:28 pm »

I remember visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art recently a couple months ago while visiting the folks up north (family reunion along with a press party I was invited to involving a client. 2 birds 1 stone, why not?). So much inspiration you can draw from that place. The ancient sculptures and such made me near-irresistible to stating "This artifact is of highest quality" and translating the descriptions on the plaques as if it were rendered in DF. My siblings rolled their eyes about my stating such things. But yeah, that museum is pretty awesome. I think when I visited, there was some crazy fashion designer that made some crazy-awesome dresses and such. Again, DF came to mind regarding that the dude must've had one hell of a fey mood to design these things.

EDIT:
I'm not sure if that exhibit is up anymore. But he had some pretty strange outfits made.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:20:08 pm by Itnetlolor »

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 01:57:49 pm »

Cool, I have to check that out next time I go to NY.

Get home safe Tarn and Zack!
Pages: 1 [2] 3