Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Complex Weapons  (Read 2153 times)

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Complex Weapons
« on: August 27, 2011, 04:57:08 pm »

This idea would probably require quite a bit of work, but could make the game more descriptive and complex.  Weapons should, simply put, have different "parts".  This does NOT mean that you would have to say what each of the parts are connected to and whatnot like for creatures, but more like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tokens that could be used(can have different names than the ones im using, its just an example)
[NEW_PART:] - adds a new part to the weapon
[OPTIONAL:(USE_MAT_FROM: or USE_MAT: or DONT_INCLUDE)] - allows that part's material to not be selected, either creating the part with a material from the blade, one that you choose yourself, or just not including the part at all. (if the part had an attack and wasn't included, that attack could not be used)
[HANDLE] just marks which part is held by the wielder.
Materials for some parts of the weapon should be less restricted though(for example, the grip could be bone or leather, both of which could be viable options for swords and daggers), most likely by a token such as [USABLE_MATERIAL:] or something of the sort on each part.
weight can still be easily calculated (unless Toady can't make his code do maths for 2nd graders(size x mat weight + size x mat weight....))

Using a system like this for creating weapons would make poisons more fun and realistic, and you would be able to use different poisons for different parts of the weapon.  You could even be very evil and put contact poison the held part of crossbow bolts(when this function is included, of course), stick them into elven merchants enemies, and when they try to pull them out they will be poisoned, so they have to leave them in!  I'm sure there are also other fun things that modders could find. 
Coverings would be shown like how they are on body parts:

-Iron Short Sword-
elf blood spatter(blade)
<insert poison name here> covering(pommel)

On an entirely different note to support this, descriptions would be much more vivid.  [ENGRAVABLE]/tokens like that could also be included on each part of the weapon, so instead of:

"this is a well-crafted iron short sword.  it is studded with diamonds."

you could get a description like:

"this is a well-crafted short sword.  the blade is iron.  an image of a rendition of cheese is engraved into the blade.  the pommel is platinum.  the pommel is in the shape of a goblin.  the goblin is in a fetal position.  the crossguard is gold.  the crossguard is studded with diamonds.  the grip is bone."

seeing a description like that (or possibly even more awesome) on my weapons would be amazing.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Complex Weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:10:48 pm »

I really do agree with this suggestion, definitely. :thumbs up:
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 01:48:25 am »

I do believe this has been suggested several times before. Search before you post.
But still, this is something I would support
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:18:27 am »

Would bring more realism and epicness. "elephant penetrates Urist's head with elephant tusk jamming the skull through the brain, tearing the brain"

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 06:11:26 am »

Scaped Lunatic,fearsome enemies use this under their names,are you a spambot?
I support this idea!

PS:covering a pommel with poison seens pretty useless,we could have a hidden chamber inside the blade that contains poison,and a button on the pommel  to eject the poison.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 02:38:04 pm »

I imagined bastardized compound weapons when I saw the idea... Perhaps this system would allow for a degree of weapon modularity? (Being able to replace blades, ETC. Hidden mechanisms maybe....)

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 03:25:25 pm »

dual-flail-crossbows anyone?(im thinking numbchuck-like-things, with crossbows)

oh and blades everywhere conceivable

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 09:27:58 pm »

Great idea, but seems like it would increase processing load a lot, tracking different parts for each item.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:37:03 am »

i think it would be even better if weapons would be declared in the same way as creatures' bodies.
There would be no need to declare specific attacks, you will just have weapon with several [GRIP] parts and one or more [EDGE] or [BLUNT] part.
Attack parameters would then be calculated as if a person swings the [EDGE] part, while holding the weapon by [GRIP] part.
There will be only two basic types of attack: swinging and thrusting.
A tag like [FLEXIBLE] would account for whip-like behaviour, meaning that not all mass of weapon strikes, but only the tip, which is connected to the handle by [FLEXIBLE] tag.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:40:36 am by nanomage »

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 12:07:37 pm »

this is pretty cool. Maybe when you smelt a weapon, it could have an option under the standard weapons that says "custom weapons" choosing it could bring up a different list of your custom weapon, along with an option to make a new one. This way you can mass produce a flail attached to a spear like shaft, or blades along the edges of your crossbows. I like this idea, it could bring some originality and fun to weapon smithing, especially if certain civs have a randomly generated type of  weapon they wield.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 02:41:32 pm »

This is pretty cool I have totally derailed this thread with a single post.... I like the OP a bit more then mine...

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:09:06 am »

Another thing I'd like to see is weapons using multiple skills depending on attack.

For example a halberd using the pike skill for thrusts, axe for swings, and something else for haft bashing.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:52:28 pm »

staff skill. also, add staves, cause theyre awesome. then add blades to the ends. then make another one and attach it with a chain from the centers. then add magma...somehow

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 02:16:29 pm »

Another thing I'd like to see is weapons using multiple skills depending on attack.

For example a halberd using the pike skill for thrusts, axe for swings, and something else for haft bashing.

For the sake of sanity, can we just declare that a halberd is a single weapon and there's one skill covering all uses of it? You can't just swing a halberd like it's a hand axe anyway.

It's not like any of the alternate attacks would ever get used. The game doesn't simulate reach, or the mechanics of parrying, or feints, or any of the other details that make it necessary to use different attacks in real combat. So either creatures will be programmed to randomly choose one of their possible attacks every time (i.e. artificial stupidity), or they'll pick the best attack mode and just spam that.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 03:03:56 pm »

For the sake of sanity, can we just declare that a halberd is a single weapon and there's one skill covering all uses of it? You can't just swing a halberd like it's a hand axe anyway.
the swing of a halberd is just like an axe (see pics)
note that the blades are a lot thiner than modern splitting axes because they were designed to cut legs and arms rather than wood; consequently, narrowish slicing blades are the norm.
think
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2