Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chanceplay, the best PnP game system i ever made.  (Read 1109 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Chanceplay, the best PnP game system i ever made.
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »

I once upon a time invented this game, before even knowing of RTD, called Dicegame.
It was basic, you made a character, drew a health gauge, had a skill list and a location.
Then there was theese maps wich were names connected by arrows, bi-directional and one way.

You could do anything, given that you rolled the right number.
1 meant epic fail, you fail at what you do and get harmed according to the situation.
2. meant fail, you failed, you destroy/anger whatever you are dealing with
3. Meant sligtly failing, what you dealt with remains unchanged.
4. Meant slight success, the product is slightly useful
5. Meant success, the product is useful
6. Meant great success, the finsished product is well done and you even learned something from it! +1 to related skill.

It is good, there is no GM required, its all based of the players thoughts, however it was common sense to have things related. Each room you entered, you would roll a dice, using the success scale, the danger of the situation is determined.

It all starts with the initial player coming up with a map, telling the backstory and eventually a mission.

Example map:

This would be some abandoned town with some apocalyptic/wild landscape outside. Notice how you cant reenter the town after leaving for outside, if you are outside, and you still want to describe what kind of place you are, you could say Outside, My shelter or BlockNW, Level 4, Room 2, Toilet

Example char:

Health: XXXXX Skill Points: 2 Location: Square, South East Corner
Skills: Improvised Combat 3, Improvisation 5, Firemaking 2, Carrying 8
Inventory:
Lighter(2 uses left), Fuel can(Spent), Stick, PVC tube, Fire axe

Conventions: If in doubt of anything, be it a number or a chance, roll it. Make sure everyone have agreed at anything not straightforward, be it evitable death or wether that pingas sword really is 30 inches or not.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?