Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannibal's fort - Where's the booze? (SOLUTION FOUND)  (Read 1411 times)

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cannibal's fort - Where's the booze? (SOLUTION FOUND)
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:46:02 am »

I'm trying to mod some DF for myself to make getting rid of the Fortress Defense bodies a little easier. I've modded the dwarf entity files to make them cool with eating sentient creatures and I've decided I won't do any farming unless there's an emergency (I might try to mod it so it only brings very low quality food as emergency rations). I intend on this being a meat-only fortress. Which brings me to my problem:

Where's the booze?

I figure I might be able to mod in some blood ale but how would I go about doing this? Bones are also a huge problem so marrow beer might not be a terrible idea either.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:58:20 pm by Conrad »
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal's fort - Where's the booze?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:51:50 pm »

First off, your topic is misnamed. If your fort was a cannibal fort, your dwarves would be eating the corpses of their own dead.

Second off, I don't know how to do this. Instead of beer from bones, use it to make bolts or armor instead. OR just remove the tag that makes dwarves [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] and embark on either the edge of a lake, on a river or stream, or an area with an aquifer to dig a well.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 02:01:08 pm »

Well, if it helps they might be eating their own kind. I haven't tested it yet.

At any rate, I think I've gotten some help from the modder's workshop and might be able to do this after all. Thanks for the input, though.
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 04:59:15 pm »

No problem. I myself have removed the alcohol dependency for dwarfs and they seem fine with water (though I still keep several barrels of booze).

I'm not sure if this would work or not, but I've also made it OK with humans and other sentient beings in the mod I use (Civ Forge) to butcher other sentients, but in Adventurer Mode, when I tried to butcher a goblin, it still said, "You are not that hungry". I'm still wondering if it'd be possible in Dwarf Fortress Mode, however.

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal's fort - Where's the booze? (SOLUTION FOUND)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 06:01:58 pm »

I should have updated this topic : /   I found a way to brew blood to alcohol and I'm working on brewing bones, skulls and scales the same way.

As far as sentient butchering, in dwarf mode it works alright. I've been butchering troglodytes, gremlins and cave ogres with no problem. A cave ogre drops about 200 meat by itself so one of those will feed a fort for quite a while.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 06:47:43 pm »

Brewable blood?  MUST. HAVE. RAWS.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 08:34:20 pm »

There's a few things you need to do and I couldn't have done it without the nice folks at the Modder's Workshop (Kweri, Sphalerite, trees, Hugo_the_dwarf, Kilroy the guard). Just thought I'd shoot some credit before I post the raws. There's two reactions, one to press meat into blood and one to brew blood into blood ale) There's quite a bit of copy pasting to do, so be ready!

First you need to throw these into the blood_template (in materials_template_default)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then into the muscle_template (or whatever else you want to press to get the blood out) add this:
That will allow the reaction to take place with meat.

Into reaction_other, add :

Into whatever creature you want to have brewable blood:

Then add [PERMITTED_REACTION:BREW_BLOOD] and [PERMITTED_REACTION:PRESS_MEAT] to the dwarf entity.

There's a few things I'm messing with now so I'll update this when I'm done. Just FYI, the way it's set up, a 3 meat stack and a 300 meat stack will both create the same amount of booze. I had to do it this way because if the reaction creates more blood than would fit in the barrel, the blood ale will just go onto the ground.

I'll also update when I've got marrow beer and the rest of the delectable meat drinks I'm making.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 08:35:50 pm »

Surely your blood drink should be something much nicer, like bloodwine, or Haemobrew.
*Hugs*

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 09:29:51 pm »

Surely your blood drink should be something much nicer, like bloodwine, or Haemobrew.

Awesome! I wanted to use ale for scale ale but I couldn't think of anything better for blood. I like bloodwine! I'll have bloodwine, skull vodka, scale ale and marrow brew! Subsisting on meat alone is going to be a whole lot easier soon.