Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaiming fortress in unfavorable conditions  (Read 3593 times)

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reclaiming fortress in unfavorable conditions
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:15:14 am »

I've been having some Fun building this fortress (well, technically it's pretty much unfinished spiral staircase through 120 z-levels) and while trying to fix some irrigation on 3rd level of caves I dug a bit too deep, hilarity ensued.
I didn't savescum in that fortress (boy it was fun ^^) and thus made no backups.

It crumbled to its end and stuff, now I'm trying to get back to work there. Except new denizens moved above ground and before I can do anything, stuff starts to die. I mean dwarves. And dogs.

Anyway, is there a nice method (with little cheating, if necessary) of reclaiming it? I can think of few methods, albeit I don't really know a working one:
- make an overpowered adventurer, clean up, then reclaim
- emark with 7 military-trained dwarves, force them grab equipment the very first second and keep fingers crossed hoping they kill something (tried with crossbows and 200 dogs - not a single obstacle removed)
- mod weapons/creatures? Perhaps play with speed of dwarves, damage/accuracy of a weapon? Any advice?

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaiming fortress in unfavorable conditions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:26:21 am »

well.. my first cheaty thought: mod bunnies to have dragonbreath and embark with hundreds of bunnies. (Maybe give them the same temper then badger?)

then lean back and watch the inferno.

(you can even "control" the bunnies with creating meeting-areas. And who didnt wanted to see bunnies rule hell once in their life?)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 10:32:09 am »

Perhaps try modding high-quality weapons and armour to be available on embark? Steel perhaps, and make it ridiculously cheap so you could embark with several steel-clad dwarves? I'm not sure how you mod that stuff, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 12:00:25 pm »

Perhaps try modding high-quality weapons and armour to be available on embark? Steel perhaps, and make it ridiculously cheap so you could embark with several steel-clad dwarves? I'm not sure how you mod that stuff, though.
I would assume you go to the raw file for steel. Change the material value from 30 to something lower - maybe something like 1. Once the people are cleared out, change the raw back. I'm not sure if a re-embark would be necessary after that.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:59:40 pm »

Well, if you actually dug too deep, you may want to make sure that the flow is stopped. Means either sealing off parts of the fort, or waging constant waragainst the flow with military/traps. In either case, the adventurer isn't going to help much.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:58:08 pm »

Embark with dwarves who know shields and dodge best.  Give them basic mining skill and a few picks and shields. Immediately dig into an untapped area and isolate it.  Draft your guys into a unit and let them train.  When the first migrant wave arrives, keep the usefuls and use the lye makers to explore and trigger ambushes.  When your original troop is definitely wearing shields, holding weapons and trained a bit with them (if you used picks you might dig out a clay level for quick training), then start digging to and mopping up your enemies.  It might take two or three tries but you'll get it--dodge and block skills will keep your guys alive in most troubling situations and they'll have the chance to learn to fight in real action.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 03:58:57 am »

The fire-breathing bunnies sound pretty reasonable? Couldn't find any dragon breathe tag on a dragon, how do I go about adding that option to them? And preferably resistance to that attack so one bunny won't simply end up killing the rest?

I think steel weapons/armor won't be enough with unskilled dwarves. My Iron-equipped squad that was training for those 5 or so years (Great Axedwarves, Legendary Fighters) were wiped out without killing even one.

As for sealing off - I could've done that. However, last two times I dug deep, the guys down there weren't very eager to visit me, so this time I though I have some (little) time till one of them stumbles on my corridor. Turned out I have less than that, they rushed straight at me and I failed to seal it.

Now, I can't really seal the place now with a reclaim (it's very, very far from where I start, all 120 levels down).

I also can't really get any work done, like mining - as soon as I unpause I get message that one of them is hanging right above my emabark part. And right after that 2-3 more close by. Tried 3 times and results were the same. When drafted, dwarves tried to fight a bit. But as civilians they just run and scream.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 06:51:50 am »

[breathes_fire] and [fireimmune_super] or something similar should be in the dragon raws. Don't quote me because I haven't played around with raws in a while but they're definitely there.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 07:59:00 am »

[DRAGONFIREBREATH][FIREIMMUNE_SUPER]

Dragons have those two tags in their raws.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 10:17:37 am »

Fire breathing doesn't scratch the problem.

First of all - game crashed quite a lot. If I gave my (200) dogs firebreath - game crashed first second enemy was spotted. 2 times in a row. When I've given them only to dwarves - still crashed, not as fast but enough to be a problem.

And from little I've seen, 7 firebreathers are not enough to kill those things. Not a single kill in 3 reclaims.

Any other ideas? :(
I'm really keen on cleaning the mess that was created so far..

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 06:47:34 pm »

Runesmith.
I hate to say it, I really do. I do my best to look down on cheaty mods of any kind. But it just seems like you need it.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 07:54:17 pm »

If you REALLY want to, use cheat engine to get as many points as possible for starting embark that you will need.
Outfit dwarves with the skills, hammerer,armour user, shield user, fighter, striker, dodger.
Get steel armour and silver hammers and shields.
On embark use runesmith to edit them to be level 20 in every one of those skills (that's the max legendary can go if I remember correctly)
and ASAP draft them into service to fight as one squad. It may also help to set dwarf raws to say [SPEED:0]
That makes them incredably fast and they will attack many many times before the demons can attack once.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 11:43:08 pm »

The guys you are fighting are immune to fire.

Some of them are immune to death. (Except via de-grinching or obsidian casting)

Some of them will explode on death, vaporizing anyone/anything around them.

Aka, runesmith or find another embark.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 01:08:09 am »

Can you, through several embarks, build enough walls to seal off the threats until you can get up to normal strength?

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 05:03:56 am »

It'd be possible, but you'd build 0-2 walls/floors each embark, tops. and you'd need 25 constructions, if I count it right.

I solved it using runesmith, was very easy with it. Find the buggers that bother me -> toggle "Dead" flag -> problem solved. However, i ended up dropping that embark in the end, because I had about 15 pages of animals in the river and 4 pages of batmen and I was at 30 FPS after embark. :( (running fortress on that map was at 75 FPS before the "accident")