Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canceling Rest.  (Read 544 times)

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
Canceling Rest.
« on: August 27, 2011, 09:11:40 am »

A common occurrence in my most recent fort, (Using the Pony Mod and the Therapist) is my soldiers not staying in the hospital long enough to get to treatment. I have lost a few promising soldiers to infections from minor wounds because they left after getting cleaned but before being stitched up, or getting a wound dressing. This is most irritating, and I would like to know if there are any measures I can take to prevent this in the future. Would removing them from there squad help? Or would making the whole squad inactive help? I haven't noticed this happening with injured civies so I'm guessing it has to do with the military aspect, but I could be mistaken.

I should note that my doctors all have all non-medical labors turned off and thus the patients never have to wait very long for treatment, (just long enough for the doctor to come off break, eat, drink, take a nap, and go on break again, like you would expect) they just don't stay put long enough.

On a slightly related note, in the Pony Mod that I'm using, one of the castes are Pegasi but I don't think there is armor to cover the wings (except cloaks, I think, but that offers only limited protection) and thus my Pegasi squads most common injury is to the wings, but I've never seen my Chief Medical Pony order for anything to be done to those injuries other than cleaning, though his skill is not that great yet, so that might have something to do with it. I however, assume this being a problem with how diagnostics works in dwarf fortress with body parts that are not present on dwarfs, however, if their is a way to fix this I would be interested to learn it.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Canceling Rest.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 11:58:44 am »

What is the empathy of your Cheif Medical Pony? If its low then replace him. Why you ask? Empathy is a greater that the diagnostic in most casues like a person with max empathy and no skill will be greater than legandary+5 diagnostics and no empathy. And sometimes it fails and the person will needed to be rediasnosed. Also sometimes there will be the wroung treatment, like once I had a dwarf who had some muscle torn open. The treatment he resived was just some dressings on the wounds no sutures no cleaning. Then right after they applinded the dressings he got rediagnocstics and THEN he got the wounds cleaned. Another time I had a dwarf lose a hand and get his shin torn to shreds after a panda attack. The only treatment he recived was a crutch>.> All because my doctor had no empathy. Needless to say he was fired>.>
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:40:08 pm »

What is the empathy of your Cheif Medical Pony? If its low then replace him. Why you ask? Empathy is a greater that the diagnostic in most casues like a person with max empathy and no skill will be greater than legandary+5 diagnostics and no empathy.

Thanks, I was aware of that, but forgot to check it when I replaced my previous Doctor after an accident.

After checking his his information, it says nothing of having low empathy and says, "He finds helping others rewarding." So I don't think that that's it. He's also only Competent as a diagnoser, but that's the highest in the fort.

However the lack of medical attention to the pegasi wings is secondary to me at the moment. I really just want to know how to prevent my military from leaving the hospital to train or patrol when they still have work to be done on them.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:06:27 pm »

Try removing the recover wounded thingy from the docs labors. If this doesn't help, remove whatever designates their barracks, cancel any patrol/station etc orders from their schedule. When healed up, redesignate them a barracks.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:55:21 pm »

I had this problem with Humans on an old fort. I suggest building a pit trap outside the hospital, as the patient is leaving prematurely, pull the lever, colapse the bridge, and after he's fallen 2-3 Z-levels and returned to the hospital for his broken leg treatment can resume. Bone damage takes a while to heal, so they won't run off as soon as repairs have been made.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.