Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatchery  (Read 550 times)

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hatchery
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:53:20 am »

I was wondering if anybody could help. Thanks in advance.

I plan on having a massive egg farm, but ill need allot of animals to lay eggs, so I need them to breed. How do you set it so your dwarfs wont gather the eggs before they hatch.

Also, if an animal lays, say, 10 eggs, does that result in 10 hatching?

Again, thanks.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
Re: Hatchery
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:17:23 am »

a simple way is to put the nests in a lockable room, lock the room once the animals are inside, then wait.
Another way is to forbid the eggs when they are laid, but you'll have to monitor the nests for some time.

You will need at least a male (obviously) for any layed egg to hatch. However, this is not guaranteed... Wait for a couple of seasons, then if the eggs didn't hatch, just unlock the door and retrieve them.
As far as I know, all eggs in a given batch are either fertilised or not : if 20 eggs are laid, either you get 20 hatchling or not a single one.

be careful however : it is VERY easy to get spammed with chickens!

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hatchery
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 10:18:54 am »

be careful however : it is VERY easy to get spammed with chickens!

Pah! Right now im completing the settings for my FPS-test. 1 male and 48 Female Cavecrocs with enought nestboxes ;)

and an easier way to prevent them from taking the eggs would be to forbid eggs in the foodstockpiles and forbid the cooking (z -> kitchen). Without a Stockpile, that excepts eggs, no dwarf should get them (unless maybe when they want to bring it to the refuse stockpile. but then they wont hatch anyways).

Forbidding the cooking prevents the cook from taking them out of the nestbox, if he has nothing else to cook nearby.

Unless you run a hell lot of foodstockpiles that except everything. A forbidding door means, that you need a lot of rooms for your lifestock otherwise a dorf could start taking eggs before the last hen (or whatever you take) enters the room to claim a nestbox.