Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which mod is the best?  (Read 1625 times)

Angus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Which mod is the best?
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:21:38 am »

I've been playing vanilla for awhile now, and only just recently started browsing the forums. I self taught many of the aspects of the game with some help from the complete and utter newb guide.

But anyway, I discovered that the modding forums has a huge cache of quite intersting mods! But I notice some are uninteresting (sry), and some are total conversions (which i would prefer to explore in the future when Im more experienced in DF),

So anyway, which one of the 'stick to vanilla/enhances vanilla' DF Fortress mode mods is the best?

Sorry for the length if it's long. I don't go on forums much.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which mod is the best?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 09:24:38 am »

Giving goblins access to steel and spoilerite reactions. That's a good modification.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 11:39:52 am »

The only mod I use is the Ark Project, and some homebrew mods to increase the realism of DF (including a expanded metals selection, expanded selection of ores and base stone layers, etc)

Default tileset FTW... a lot less 'beautiful' but a lot more functional than any of those graphical tilesets.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 10:05:22 pm »

Ugh, I can't STAND ASCII. Stuff makes my eyes bleed like nasty. I would just do the fortress defense mod, it tends to make things fun. Or, look up some tutorials and mod yourself...Endless enjoyment!

BTW: Ironhand's texture pack ftw.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 10:22:14 pm »

What a wimp.
I was able to decipher ASCII since I was ten..And I'm actually part of the newer Generation.
ASCII allows for a LOT more freedom.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Prixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:23:56 pm »

What a wimp.
I was able to decipher ASCII since I was ten..And I'm actually part of the newer Generation.

The best part about ASCII is going to a friends game and switching their symbols around in the Raws.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 10:25:17 pm »

That's..
..That's just cruel.
"Hey, when did my Civ become all Saguaro Trees?"
"..Right. Saguaro Trees." *sneaks away*
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 10:25:53 pm »

hehehe... ASCIIphobia... My favorite consequence of learning the game from the ground up without the vanilla tileset and using creature graphics.

There are only a few mods I could consider actually 'popular' or otherwise used by just about everybody (although you can't have all three of them): Genesis, Fortress Defence, and Civilization Forge. There is no such thing as 'the best mod,' however.

Personally, I would love it if you would try out my mods linked in my signature. I have gotten zero feedback on any of it for quite a while and haven't updated the uploaded packages in about the same length of time, but I'm still working on them and could upload the latest versions now. Takes an hour or so to actually get all the posts and descriptions up-to-date, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 10:28:45 pm »

What a wimp.

The best part about ASCII is going to a friends game and switching their symbols around in the Raws.
...you could do the same thing with a tileset. I say learn the ASCII for two reasons: 1. More experienced players tend to have it in their screenshots and descriptions of in-game events, so you'll be able to understand it. 2. Not having to wait for tilesets to update when a new and extremely buggy version comes out.

Anyway, if you want one that still has a vanilla feel, Genesis is pretty huge without completely changing the gameplay. Fortress Defense mod is neat, but if you're still kinda new it involves a lot more Fun.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 10:32:32 pm »

I'm honestly thinking of heavily modding one of my three copies of .25(One's a Human version, a Dwarf Version, and a Backup version.)
Just so that I can play the game with more content.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 01:47:12 am »

I've only played Fortress Defense and Genesis, and only a few Genesis forts at that.

Fortress Defense simply adds extra hostile races. If you add all the races and run a short world gen (less than 50 years) you'll end up with about a dozen hostile races at embark. You get invaded after about a year and then most seasons after that, usually multiple invading races at once. You'll probably lose a few forts to begin with then work out what's required. The main problem then is that it becomes fairly monotonous after three or four years. Every season starts with an attempt to clean up all the crap left by the previous sieges, then pulling the civilians inside in the last month of the season before invaders come again. The crap piles up until you have thousands of items of clothes and weapons and armor and body parts laying about eating into your frame rate. FPS death is then even faster than for a vanilla fort, unless you're able to use magma for cleaning purposes.

Genesis adds all kinds of stuff. There are different castes of dwarves, new animals and plants to grow, different kinds of humans and elves, orcs, and a few new enemies. Metal working is overhauled and there is a large range of new workshops, many aimed at training your dwarves in various skills. Animals are generally tougher, metals and gems more valuable. This is a broad mod that perhaps makes things a bit harder but mostly adds a lot of extra features to the game, both making it easier and harder.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 06:38:11 am »

My favorite mod is Fortress Defense. Most other mods either add too many content which I feel will detract from the original gameplay or feel like they are just a gimmick. That said, I did mod giant badgers to be trainable. I haven't used them for combat yet but I am curious how they will fare when combined with my military.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 09:38:30 am »

My favorite is Civ Forge, then Genesis.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

ink_runner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 10:00:50 am »

What a wimp.

Couldn't agree more!!, I modified the COLORS.INIT file, to make it less "contrasting", after 5hours of game you start seeing sparks hehehe

S3Cs4uN 8

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels be Kobold: Too Dangerous
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 10:35:37 am »

What a wimp.

to that I agree the only reason I dont use it is because I hate rectangles, makes my fort designs look really odd
Ala Kotraldermechebi, Hoardcounter has given birth to octuplets.

Wait What!
Pages: [1] 2