Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I am disturbed right now  (Read 5363 times)

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am disturbed right now
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 11:09:42 pm »

I don't know, I am highly optimistic and I think it is completely in the realm of possibility to do something like this.

You just need to get a few million dollars and offer Toady a job. Maybe you can sell your bitcoins to raise the money.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 11:36:11 pm »

sell your bitcoins now, before people understand what they really are.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 01:06:09 am »

Why cant he just at least let someone take over the graphical side and put a 3d skin on this wonderful game?

before you go saying his 3d is better then anything you have ever done http://www.loganf.com
It's been done.

I noticed you're trying to whore your work; normally this is more effective if you don't inflame the prospect.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 01:43:30 am »

It feels like this thread is coming dangerously close to flame war territory.

He's not a troll, he's making a perfectly sensible suggestion, or to him it is.
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 02:21:44 am »

Making this game into a full 3d game would probably require a significant amount of work. I can say from my own experience of developing mods for Morrowind in the TES construction kit that making multi level structures was a real difficulty tedious and time consuming task. and that was only placing and aligning objects, nowhere near as complex as the interactions we have in Dwarf Fortress now.

I can't see any reasonable and easy scheme that would allow us the same full featured and complex control we have now.
How would you manage the multiple layers?
How would you easily show the different depths of each area at any camera angle?
How would you allow people to select areas for digging/channeling?
How would you indicate the numerous types of rocks in Dwarf Fortress and still maintain a reasonable download size for the game?
These and many more questions would have to be answered before Toady could consider the development of a 3D dwarf fortress. Many of these interface requirements have no real precedent in modern game design which meant Toady would have to work on not only features for Dwarf Fortress but a sane and clear interface that can present the overwhelming amounts of information in Dwarf Fortress to the user. Our current text interface struggles as well, how would you expect the 3d version to do it without becoming even more visually cluttered?

I feel like you haven't given much thought to any of these considerations, it's unfair of you to make demands on somebody who doesn't ask for any money for his game, only that you donate if you want too. Donation here implying to me that the money is given without demands or strings attached. Had you been less agressive in your original post you might not have come off as so self entitled.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:26:36 am by optimumtact »
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

steakbbq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 04:28:12 am »

Yea it would be a lot of work to make it 3d, however it would be amazing.

100% possible.

I am thinking that I might start taking this seriously.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 09:56:02 am »

This whole thread is completely pointless, because Toady isn't going to let others work on dwarf fortress.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 12:22:26 pm »

I really love dwarf fortress but I feel like toady is smothering it with his own selfishness. I have seen the kind of money he makes from donations, not sure of anything recent but he made 15k in donations in one month a couple years ago. If he really loved this game he would take that money and invest it into hiring coders that could really make this game into something epic.

I can understand that he wants to do it his way or w/e but there is so much shit that is just not getting done because its only 1 person working on it.

I dont event trade because I dont feel like scrolling through a list of a thousand different things I dont even want to trade for. The ui is horrible. Every different screen has a different way it works. This is just terrible bipolar coding. He doesnt care about that though, he would rather add necromancers. As I see it this game is going no where fast. If he were to open it up and become serious it could be one of the most amazing games ever.

I have this picture in my head of a 3d world where you dont have to use your imagination like a tool. You have to use your imagination WAY to much for this game. Combat is stupid, it needs more feedback. I can imagine a game where you see the creatures swinging and hitting or missing limbs, limbs being cut off, heads bashed in and not just some bullshit blinking squares..

I know I will probably get flamed but I dont really care.

Toady you are ruining this game.

And for those of you that say, its his game he can do what he wants.. that may be the case but 90% of people that start a business are fired from their company within the first 2 years because they start destroying it.

Just saying, if this was a company you started and you were doing things the way you are, You would be ejected from the company faster then you could collect your unemployment check.

Do you think he would try to sue or something if someone made a game just like dwarf fortress?

Ever read the NYT article on DF? Yeah. He isn't smothering himself in cash.

You didn't pay for the game, you obviously don't know how programming works (no, it isn't just "I wave my magic wand and ALAKAZAM! This game is in 3d!"). If you don't like the game, go away. You have no reason to be here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 02:14:54 pm »

::) Nooooo... we're responding because we take the OP's suggestion seriously ::) [/sarcasm]

(IIRC, the original poster recently posted that "I am thinking that I might start taking this seriously." implying that even they weren't taking it seriously most of the time)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:21:04 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 08:45:57 pm »

::) Nooooo... we're responding because we take the OP's suggestion seriously ::) [/sarcasm]

(IIRC, the original poster recently posted that "I am thinking that I might start taking this seriously." implying that even they weren't taking it seriously most of the time)
you got him there
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »

I just love how this thread makes its point

"I am disturbed"

It is unfortunate the implications given how people use it around where I live.

steakbbq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 09:12:35 pm »

I really love dwarf fortress but I feel like toady is smothering it with his own selfishness. I have seen the kind of money he makes from donations, not sure of anything recent but he made 15k in donations in one month a couple years ago. If he really loved this game he would take that money and invest it into hiring coders that could really make this game into something epic.

I can understand that he wants to do it his way or w/e but there is so much shit that is just not getting done because its only 1 person working on it.

I dont event trade because I dont feel like scrolling through a list of a thousand different things I dont even want to trade for. The ui is horrible. Every different screen has a different way it works. This is just terrible bipolar coding. He doesnt care about that though, he would rather add necromancers. As I see it this game is going no where fast. If he were to open it up and become serious it could be one of the most amazing games ever.

I have this picture in my head of a 3d world where you dont have to use your imagination like a tool. You have to use your imagination WAY to much for this game. Combat is stupid, it needs more feedback. I can imagine a game where you see the creatures swinging and hitting or missing limbs, limbs being cut off, heads bashed in and not just some bullshit blinking squares..

I know I will probably get flamed but I dont really care.

Toady you are ruining this game.

And for those of you that say, its his game he can do what he wants.. that may be the case but 90% of people that start a business are fired from their company within the first 2 years because they start destroying it.

Just saying, if this was a company you started and you were doing things the way you are, You would be ejected from the company faster then you could collect your unemployment check.

Do you think he would try to sue or something if someone made a game just like dwarf fortress?

Ever read the NYT article on DF? Yeah. He isn't smothering himself in cash.

You didn't pay for the game, you obviously don't know how programming works (no, it isn't just "I wave my magic wand and ALAKAZAM! This game is in 3d!"). If you don't like the game, go away. You have no reason to be here.

a douche-bag of the highest caliber.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 09:18:58 pm »

Sounds about right.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 11:26:09 pm »

Sell some bitcoins, buy the server that this forum is hosted on, and ban his ass.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2011, 11:37:20 pm »

I was recently derping around with bitcoins.

Do you know of any other good pyramid schemes that you can recommend?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4