Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mega-Mod Collaboration and Compilation  (Read 2233 times)

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mega-Mod Collaboration and Compilation
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »

MMCC aims to take the BEST mods from the community and combine them, allowing for an omega mod of awesomeness and !!FUN!!.

I have a few mods in mind but I want ideas flowing.

Also since this mod is going to be so big, we will need people to focus on one area of the collaboration so that things aren't doubled, like two of the same fruit in the raws etc.

So if your good at one type of modding, or find a bug in one area, then they can go and fix the problem easily and swiftly.

List of mods:
Genesis (by deon)
More to come

List of contributors
None yet   :o

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Mega-Mod Collaboration and Compilation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:43:44 pm »

Have you heard of the mixmod, it takes a ton of mods from modders and packs it all together.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:48:46 pm »

Mix mod takes minor mods, I'm talking about civ forge, dwarf fortress advances, genesis, corrosion, etc.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:53:57 pm »

Mix mod takes minor mods, I'm talking about civ forge, dwarf fortress advances, genesis, corrosion, etc.

In that case good luck! Alot of those mods seem have multiple dwarven castes. And then theres the case of to keep genitals or to remove them.....
edit- too two and to they are all the same when you should be asleep.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:59:19 pm by UltraValican »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:58:02 pm »

It's a lot easier to remove them, since you would essentially have to rewrite all the creature files to give each creature a caste-based body structure, then later giving them all the tags that were once before the caste definitions.

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:00:34 pm »

Thanks, I was thinking about trying to tackle that one myself XD but I might need some guidance, and also what annoys me about mix mod is they add so many mods that they don't even know all the mods they added, and they add mods that are just....... Annoying

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:01:55 pm »

And this is about combineing all the mods WELL... Not just combining them because we can, that would be easy, modders should have FUN too
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:38:54 am by dimondmine2 »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:05:29 pm »

Thanks, I was thinking about trying to tackle that one myself XD but I might need some guidance, and also what annoys me about mix mod is they add so many mods that they don't even know all the mods they added, and they add mods that are just....... Annoying
I agree any mod that has more than 3 ambusher races WILL wipe you out by year 2 if you don't have defences. Also, iirc the mix mod has some rather *cough*spicy*cough* mods.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am fairly new to modding( most complicated thing I've done was make Goblins trade/ Warhammer 40k Orks with shotguns/daka.)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 08:09:33 am »

Eh, MixMod isn't about "minor mods" man, it's about adding ALL of the mods together. With as little disregard as possible when it comes to dwarven safety!

Anyway.

I suggest that you go through whatever mods you are going to add in and check their threads for opinions on how deadly some civ is. Then pick, I don't know, 10 hostile civs from the mods you have put together.

Then you of course need to make sure that they appear at different points to a fort's lifespan instead of half of them arriving at the same time in the form of ambushes.

It's not easy and I'm pretty sure that for MixMod to really be a breakthrough it'd need a real god damn guide. There's a literal crapload of metals from a lot of mods, gems and some special ores for special tasks and so on. Of course I'm too lazy/too busy to start doing that, Snodourg is somewhere and that's it for the entire "team" behind that mod. And we're not even a team, I just updated the mod and tossed it to Snodourg again.

I'm pretty sure that right now some reactions are missing from the embarkable civilizations anyway, some are outdated and yeah. MixMod isn't supposed to be picky. It's supposed to be a horrible mix that will rape all you hold dear if you're not prepared.

On the bright side, at least there's a bunch of peaceful civs in the mods as well. If you're having problems with getting wiped out, just don't have the worldgen place as many civilizations at the start.

But anyway, good luck with your project. If it's going to be even half as annoying as it was for me when I put the new MixMod together, you are going to fucking need it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 09:34:09 am »

Yeah, Mixmod does that. It has Genesis, civforge, wasteland and other mods as well. It's too crazy for my taste :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 02:25:39 pm »

I tried MixMod, added my own mod to the mix, and found that it takes at least 30 minutes to go into the arena.

I mean god damn.

Also, I think this mod is a better idea. MixMod kind of throws them together helter-skelter while this seems like it'll actually try to work with more compatibility.

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 08:41:58 pm »

thanks all, also deon, I might need some help troubleshooting with the casts.... also corrosion will NOT be added, because it goes out of the theme of the other mods etc. And I think putting someone in charge of one thing at a time would be REALLY helpful. tonight is the time when i work my ass of.... ok well i just work.... First off i am going to list all the new civs in the mods, all the new plants, and all the new animals, etc (FML!!!!!!!!!) fun right? and deon do you have a list of the added plants? because that would be helpful..... (animals toooooo :o)

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »

I am also going to use this fourm topic to copy paste info and stuff like that.... hope you guys dont mind  :P

DFA
Religion
4 new castes@@@@@ CASTES @@@@@@@@
4 new noble positions and all the vanilla positions made available
Lots of new creatures (make a list)
7 new entities (make a list )
New weapons, armors and ammo (cross examine with other mods)
4 new toys (cross check
Lots of new plants (cross check as well)
3 new minerals, 10 new metals and one new flux (more cross checking)
6 new general workshops (and more cross checking)
Block factory
Weapon workshop
Crematory
Display Case (in genesis)
Magma-safe workshop
Training Dummy (in genesis)
Furniture workshop (in genesis)
No aquifers (optional) (EVIL, AQUIFERS ARE FUNNNNN)
No Cursed Stones (optional) (blah)
Enable All Metals (optional) (blah)
Basemetal*** (what is this)
Farming overhaul *** (cross check the mod)
Dwarven Lamination*** (what is this)
Adventure Mode Reactions*** (in genesis)

anyone want to help me cross check these with genesis that would be coooollllll right now i am going to focus on the castes because that is a job that no one wants to do (and i would rather focus on farming stuff anyway, so if someone took castes off my hands that would be awesome)

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 09:11:52 pm »

Caste COMBINATIONS AND STUFF

DFA
Priest (holy)
Warrior (fighter)
peasant (standard)

Genesis
Steel (fighter
Obsidian (just plain cool)
gloomer ( creeper)
jade (smart)
shroom (weak and plentiful)
aspid (poised, snakelike)
moss (resistance to sickness)
ice (ummmm...... never seen one of these)
stone (standard)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 07:22:15 am »

Just a few thoughts here regarding DFA:

For castes, the only special caste which, as far as I know, hasn't been introduced in any other mod is the Holy -caste. If I recall correctly Noble caste is in some way represented in Genesis, though haven't checked the raws of that mod lately so not sure. Perhaps Deon can clarify if that's the case?

Some of the features in DFA can and in some cases even should be replaced by the features of other mods. Training thing for example. I think that feature is more complete in Genesis, with ability to train production skills as well. In that case you should note that I moved all the training weapons to tool category, just so that you don't get any duplicate items.

Religion shouldn't interfere too badly with other mods, though you should check the name of reactions and temples to avoid duplicate raws.

Basemetal is a feature that enables certain basic metals (copper, tin, iron) even if the location of the civilization doesn't support those metals. This is just to avoid the moments when caravan will happily sell you steel but no iron due how the game handles reactions.

Dwarven lamination expands the wood industry. You can produce more valuable wood materials which can be used in different projects and even dismantle wooden objects for reuse.

I also suggest that you take a look in manual which can be found from /manual/ folder. That should give out all the necessary things for crosschecking.

If you need any more help regarding DFA just post here or in the mod's original thread, I'm happy to help you out.

EDIT: Forgot few things:

First of all, the list of features in original post in DFA thread is a bit inaccurate currently. The complete list of features can be found in manual.

Secondly, what's your planning on updates of the mods you are including to you collaboration? DFA (and I think Genesis too) is in constant development and I'm currently working on big update. Just asking because if you are not going to update the original mods included then there might be few things which needs fixing in DFA.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:25:20 am by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."
Pages: [1] 2