Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Questions and Answers  (Read 19538 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2012, 03:58:55 am »

I added it in the early days when I was the only one working on the game, before we put the project on SourceForge. My intent back when I did the code that simulates incumbency was to make Congress look far more believable and vastly easier to understand. You can visually see how well each election goes by seeing seats changing or holding fast, instead of just seeing every letter change randomly, which made for a slow and then-unskippable animation that I found difficult to get any meaningful information out of.

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:42 pm »

I don't want to complain about what has worked for this long, I started wondering about this part because of the effects it has, which seem weird. Conservatives and Liberals are only ever replaced by either Arch-conservatives or Elite Liberals. Arch-conservatives are only replaced by Elite Liberals, and Elite Liberals are only replaced by moderates. The "automatically stay put"-part leads the non-extremes to end up at the extremes, in time making the country extremely polarized. (Maybe that's what happens in real-life, I wouldn't know.) With the ability to prevent the amendments from happening, this becomes more of an issue.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2012, 04:39:38 pm »

Question!

Does Juice affect whether your liberals crack and give you up when they get arrested? I know Heart does, but does Juice come into the equation at all?

Like, if I had a guy with 0 juice and 7 Heart (high base heart), and a guy with 200 juice and 7 Heart (low base heart, with stat increases from juice), would they have the same odds of cracking, or would the one with more juice be less likely to crack?

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2012, 07:19:39 pm »

It's not heart alone that counts, but the difference between heart and wisdom. Juice is also a significant factor; 200 juice is enough to ensure they'll stay safe, as long as wisdom is not higher than heart. Psychology skill also helps.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2012, 07:29:42 pm »

Which I guess makes sense.  Dumb as a rock and highly trusting should make for a blindly loyal subordinate.

I need to start paying attention to this game again...I forget, does high wisdom serve any beneficial purpose?  Or should I be recruiting based solely on heart and hard to raise skills?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2012, 07:47:15 pm »

I believe Wisdom does not do anything positive at all.

Trivia: In VERY early versions of the game (before even the official Bay12Games 3.0 version), Wisdom determined the number of starting skills characters had.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2012, 01:16:36 pm »

I think business skill is determined by the average of intelligence and wisdom

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »

It was at one point, but I think all skills are now based on only one stat, and none are tied to wisdom.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2012, 04:36:47 pm »

It was at one point, but I think all skills are now based on only one stat, and none are tied to wisdom.

What about religion and science? Those are conservative skills.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2012, 05:22:26 pm »

What about religion and science? Those are conservative skills.

Religion, business, and science are all based on intelligence.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2012, 09:18:25 pm »

Can corporate mercenaries still raid you? Didn't encounter them my last game.
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2012, 09:20:54 pm »

I remember this question coming up a while ago...I think the consensus was "We're not sure".  Jonathan or Kay may remember or otherwise know something I don't, though.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2012, 02:44:19 am »

I remember this question coming up a while ago...I think the consensus was "We're not sure".  Jonathan or Kay may remember or otherwise know something I don't, though.

I'm not sure. (Joke aside, if they can't raid you, it's probably a bug.)

Alpheus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2012, 08:51:14 pm »

Regarding the merc raid question: In 4.04.0 I got raided my corporate mercs awhile back. 

They killed my tailor and paralyzed my leader with a neck shot, thankfully they left him for dead and she survived to be a stone cold crip. 

Funny thing was, they raided my fully fortified/upgraded safehouse, and they didn't take or destroy any of my investments.  Which I guess could be said to make sense since they're professional assassins with very specific orders, like not causing a big scene by burning the place down or blowing it up.  Still you think they'd at least bother to smash the printing press & cameras.

I think I'll go into the code and add a bunch of gag names to the default name lists.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2012, 03:42:29 am »

How do you fortify locations? Can't seem to find that option.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12