Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want a dwarf with the appraiser skill!  (Read 5862 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I want a dwarf with the appraiser skill!
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:16:13 pm »

I want one! I have a HUEG fort, and all other positions filled in. But I can't tell my wealth! How do I get a dwarf with the appraiser skill.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

tdreyer1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • timdreyer.com
Re: I want a dwarf with the appraiser skill!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 02:20:32 pm »

You either have to get lucky and get one as a migrant, or start with one when you embark.
The Cheese Maker loses hold of the +adamantine bathroom tissue+.
The flying +adamantine bathroom tissue+ strikes The Cheese Maker in the lower body from behind and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Urist McButterfingers, Cheese Maker has been struck down.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 02:22:29 pm »

Assign any dwarf to be your Broker.  Have him complete a few trades with the caravan.  You'll be guessing on the first trade if he has no Appraiser skill, but a few successful trades will train him up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:24:56 pm »

Assign any dwarf to be your Broker.  Have him complete a few trades with the caravan.  You'll be guessing on the first trade if he has no Appraiser skill, but a few successful trades will train him up.

I often find that a dwarf with absolutely no experience as an Appraiser actually gains enough experience between arriving at the depot and opening the trade window that even that first trade isn't blind. It's not guaranteed every time, and it happens frequently enough that I find it strange if it doesn't.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 02:49:30 pm »

I can't say I ever had a dwarf gain the required skill on the way to the depot but it's very easy to get a dwarf up to competent in one go. Start with tiny transaction first and then make that dwarf your broker and continue on with better trades. Try selling some crafts for a few logs or something on the first go. That way you know they have a definite profit so they'll accept and won't get pissy.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:29:36 pm »

Actually, if I'm reading the OP right, you don't want an appraiser, you want a bookkeeper.  He's assigned via the (n)oble screen, and uses the record-keeping skill.  You can, however, assign a no-skilled dwarf to the task and he'll do just fine.  Once you've got a bookkeeper, you just go down to him in the (n)oble screen, and hit (s)ettings.  Then, select "Highest Precision" from the list.  He'll also need at least a meager office (read: a chair designated as a 1x1 room).  If he's got all those, you'll be able to see your fortress wealth within a season or two.  And while it is a minor timesink to get to highest precision, once there your bookkeeper can easily hold down another job.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:38:37 pm »

No he definitely wants an appraisers, bookkeepers will tell you what you have not its worth.  However what everyone said is true, just set no broker needed at the trade depot, make a nice trade (e.g. rob the elves) and you'll have a semi-competent trader.  For best results make a dozen small trades instead of one big one, somehow it trains them faster (in my, flawed, experience).  You don't need the broker doing the trading either, just have "anyone trading" set on permanent, you'll have several appraisers after a few years and even a newbie appraiser will give exact fort values while idling and drinking
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 03:43:34 pm »

I think broker will tell you what things are worth and bookkeeper just gives other detailed information (quantity, material)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »

Broker tells you what your fort is worth.  Assign any dwarf to the broker position, and have them open the trade window.  Done.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 03:58:54 pm »

A fort ago, I had a lot of dorfs die - all who had any appraisal skill - and I wanted to know my numbers. I appointed someone to broker and burrowed him on the Depot. I traded a thing at a time, maybe thrice, and he was good to go. On the first trade there was no ability to "sort by value", only "sort by distance", but that didn't last.

AFAIK, bookie is just the dorf you set to highest precision for a bit, so you know exactly how many drinks you have. (I really DO need to know if it is 1473.) Then you can set him/her back to lowest precision and let them go on their merry way.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza