Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On draining..  (Read 656 times)

Quyzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On draining..
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:07:29 pm »

I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't find much to go on via searching. Do murky pools not drain into the river? I channeled a path from a murky lake (which my woodcutter dwarf was pushed into by a badger -_-) to the river, and it's still at 7/7... I'd like to get that axe back somehow.

~Quyzi

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On draining..
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 02:09:11 pm »

Rivers are infinite sources of water, iirc... you can't drain into them. You can pull as much water as you want out of them though.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »

I don't believe they do. I think the river drains into them, to a point. You'd have been better off draining the pool into an empty cistern you dug out. Now that it's connected to the river, that may be more difficult to do, as the river is an infinite source of water and will just keep refilling the pool until it's 7/7 again. I could be wrong, though. Someone more knowledgeable than me should probably be able to help.

Quyzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 02:16:32 pm »

I've now got a ghostly woodcutter hanging around. I think I need to bury him properly before he drive my dwarves nuts.

~Quyzi

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 02:27:13 pm »

I've now got a ghostly woodcutter hanging around. I think I need to bury him properly before he drive my dwarves nuts.

~Quyzi

If you need to get rid of the ghost, but can't recover his body to put it in a coffin, don't forget that slabs are an option.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 02:27:40 pm »

If you can't get to his body you can use a slab, if I have read correctly.

-nightwhips
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 02:30:41 pm »

I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't find much to go on via searching. Do murky pools not drain into the river? I channeled a path from a murky lake (which my woodcutter dwarf was pushed into by a badger -_-) to the river, and it's still at 7/7... I'd like to get that axe back somehow.

~Quyzi
What you have done is create a path for the river's infinite water to flow out into the pool. What you SHOULD have done is build several pumps next to the pool and pump all the water out.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 02:32:21 pm »

In the future you can drain murky pools by channeling a lot of space next to them (in effect widening the pool without adding more water), so the water spreads out until it has a depth of 1 and evaporates.

Also keep in mind you can cut down trees with a training axe made of wood. Dorfs are just that good at deforestation.
Soaplent green is goblins!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 02:45:38 pm »

You can also pump the water out of the pool, which creates only a temporary mess and clears the thing faster. To prevent it filling up again you could lay a floor on it but I doubt rain would be sufficient to fill it up.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Quyzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 04:31:29 pm »

Didn't mean to make an infinite lake :(

No matter anyway, a badger invaded my fort and all my dorf's died. Yep, a single badger...

~Quyzi