Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Least-favorite/favorite industry?  (Read 4229 times)

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Least-favorite/favorite industry?
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 04:06:26 am »

my favorite and most successful industry is the metal industry. currently i am in the process of building a lava fed, multi-level workshop for steel, high value (gold, silver, platinum), and low value (copper, tin, lead...) alloy metal production, and another for mechanical trap production.

my favorite thing to do with the metals i produce en-mass is build massive trap complexes that destroy, capture and strip my enemies before they even set eyes on my dwarves... there are many ways to kill any thing, all you have to do is imagine how.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 11:26:24 pm »

OT: blue emu, is your sig a reference to Pappy from Generation Kill?

I personally enjoy the metal industry A LOT. However, I've recently taken to having a lot of fun with gems. I've also tried cloth and leather most recently. I can't say I dislike them.

I really haven't had much interaction with anything that requires a screwpress or quern/millstone. For whatever reason I just have never done any of them.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 01:15:56 am »

OT: blue emu, is your sig a reference to Pappy from Generation Kill?

Never heard of it. My sig is a reference to a Fort that I lost when it burned down. Worth noting: That cave-moss that grows everywhere after you break into the caverns is FLAMMABLE.
Never pet a burning dog.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 11:58:02 am »

A little suggestion if you don't mind using some outside assistance while playing, try Dwarf Therapist. It really makes finding that darn plant processor a lot easier, and is very nice for reassigning jobs especially when you have a large amount of dwarves.
This. This is amazing, especially so now that someone has come out with a mac version. It makes managing huge amounts of dwarves a piece of cake (even if the mac one still has some bugs with the new labors like beekeeping).
As for my favorite industry, its gotta be farming/stonecrafting (a small amount of effort to set up and then it runs indefinitely save for the occasional moody dwarf making need to re-add the 'make stone crafts R' option).

MAC VERSION??? OMA!!! (Oh my Armok!)
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 12:39:53 pm »

my favorite has got to be stonecrafting, AKA turning the trash my miners leave behind into trade goods that can be given to anyone and command a decent (if not extraordinary) price per weight.

Least favorite: soap making.  Too many shops, too many steps, and the one time I got a soaping industry on line for my hospital, dwarves went "Lady Maceth" on me, spamming clean self jobs at distant murky pools then running back through the blood-stained gates, forcing them to clean up again.

All soap was forbidden.  All remaining lye and ash was promptly converted towards a glass-making industry that relied on sand importation.

I might make soap again, but only if I find a way to ensure all dwarves are preemptively clean and remain so.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2011, 04:12:57 pm »

I don't really have a least favorite, they all have their place. Except clothesmaking, they never put them on anyways, you're better of using the wool/silk/cloth for bags/ropes/decorations.

Unless they're my Marksdwarves, I dote on those guys like crazy. decked out in dimple blue GCS silk until I get candy for them and wearing matching sets of leather armor.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2011, 04:41:23 pm »

Beekeeping for me was really a set-it-and-forget-it thing. One hauler with beekeeping as a hobby, plus a couple dozen hives on top of the fort and an ample supply of jugs --> steady stream of royal jelly for cooking.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]