Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Least-favorite/favorite industry?  (Read 4232 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Least-favorite/favorite industry?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 09:31:34 pm »

I like Magma Pottery and metalworking. They're easy to handle.
I really don't like shearing/milking though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 11:20:39 pm »

Butchery and eggs. Armok help me if the RSPCA (or whatever the equivalent is) ever saw my fortresses...

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 11:29:48 pm »

The most important aspect of any dwarven industry is stockpile management. 

It only takes significant time to learn how to manage stockpiles the first few times, like any learned skill.

After you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and takes very little effort.

The amount of time it takes to wait for dwarves to do things with inefficient stockpile management by far outweighs the time to manage stockpiles properly. 

There is really no need to have 350+ dwarves when you can easily break game economy with just 30 properly managed dwarven workers.

That being said, there is very little difference in managing stockpiles for 30 dwarves or 300, the only difference is in scale. 

In fact, it is even more important to properly manage a large number of dwarves than a small number of them.

Okay, I'll bite.  What is good stockpile management, and how do you figure it out, and how do you know when you have it?  Cause I've been through the wiki, and I've tried to follow that, and I generally have some initial success, but things still get bogged down as the fort grows.  Do I need to just un-designate everything and take an afternoon, paused, re-designating?  Bins everywhere for everything?  Lay out new workshops and storage from scratch (and if so, to what design)?  It really is not clear to me what a very good stockpile setup is supposed to look like compared to the klugey thing I have going on.

The basic idea is that each workshop should have a stockpile of the resources it needs and for the products it produces.

For instance, if you have a crafts workshop to make bone bolts, you should have a refuse stock pile of bones around it and a stock pile of bolts next to an archery range or somewhere where you expect your hunters or military to use them. 

As another example, let's take a quern which you want to only make dye.  It needs two resources, millable plants and a bag, so you put a furniture stockpile which ONLY accepts empty bags next to it and a stockpile of ONLY millable plants next to it.  Now you don't want dimple cups, sliver barb, blade weed, or hide root to be in any other stock pile since you want all your millable dyes next to your quern.  You will want plants that are millable but are not dyes, such as whip vines, cave wheat, and longland grass, to be stored as far away as possible so your dwarves will be less likely to mill them.

The key is to keep all of your workshops uncluttered.  For workshops which produce end products which are not used in any other industry, such as furniture or crafts, just make sure you have a very large stockpile, if it is furniture, the stockpile should be placed near where you want to place those items, if crafts, you want the stockpile next to your trade depot so your dwarves won't have to haul that crap through your entire fort when the caravan arrives.

A prime example is a butcher's workshop, the produce a ton of resources which will easily clutter them.  Make sure hair/fur goes next to a farmer's workshop for spinning, bones, skulls, horn, and tooth/ivory goes next to a crafts workshop, make a separate refuse pile for cartilage, scales and tissue somewhere else since they cannot be used by any industry.  Have a large meat and fat stockpile near a kitchen or soap maker's shop, since you will produce ridiculous amounts of meat and fat.

If you want to build a construction out of blocks, then designate a stockpile of blocks next to the build site.  Just don't begin construction until the blocks get there.

It's simple to figure out, it is just common sense.  Unfortunately, it is easier to do when you are beginning and very hard to fix if you already made tons of stock piles without planning ahead.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:32:20 pm by Berserkenstein »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 11:33:29 pm »

A little suggestion if you don't mind using some outside assistance while playing, try Dwarf Therapist. It really makes finding that darn plant processor a lot easier, and is very nice for reassigning jobs especially when you have a large amount of dwarves.
This. This is amazing, especially so now that someone has come out with a mac version. It makes managing huge amounts of dwarves a piece of cake (even if the mac one still has some bugs with the new labors like beekeeping).
As for my favorite industry, its gotta be farming/stonecrafting (a small amount of effort to set up and then it runs indefinitely save for the occasional moody dwarf making need to re-add the 'make stone crafts R' option).

For my least favorite its gotta be dealing with honey/rock nut oil right now since its so buggy. Once its got the whole jug problem solved then it will probably be animal husbandry (I got so mad at grazers that eventually I just said forget them and butchered them all in exchange for black bears, it works much nicer now :P)

And on the subject of stockpiling I tend to create giant stockpile rooms next to my workshops that hold several stockpiles, each of which is customized to what the particular workshop next to it needs.
Code: [Select]
WWW   WWW   WWW
WWW   WWW   WWW
WWW   WWW   WWW
D     D     D 
StockpilesStockpilesStockpiles
For food stockpiles I tend to just add on more stockpiles as I fill each one up, with each new stockpile being 'taken' from by the last one on the chain so food automatically moves to the oldest and closest to the dining room stockpiles.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:04:36 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 11:38:43 pm »

I'm fond of jewel-encrusted ropes myself.  I have, previously, streamlined the work of dying and weaving to such an extent that one solid macro once a year would produce hundreds of thousands of dorfbucks of goods.  Not much good, of course, but piling endless masterwork silk ropes in a vault feels good somehow...

Proper abuse of stockpiles for dying and weaving?
Put stockpiles near the quern and the loom.  Set them up so that they accept a certain number of goods.  NOT using bins will help here a lot.  Set up one pile to accept dimple cups only with an equally sized empty bag stockpile beside it.  When both are full, queue that many grinding tasks.  This can be further refined by limiting your farm size.  A 1x2 farm will (usually) produce 2 dimple cups, so have a stockpile that takes 2 cups, and another that takes 2 bags.  When spring rolls around, you order 2 grinding jobs, and there you go.  Assuming the same farmer, then a 1x2 pig tail farm will produce the same stack of plants, so 2 processing jobs will produce a nearly-equal amount of thread.  Continue that along and you can quickly produce a large amount of dyed cloth goods with relative ease.

A word on burrows: Dwarves will walk through non-burrowed space to reach their burrow.  Place a burrow over their workshop, the workshop's stockpile, their bedroom, and the dining hall+food stockpile.  That way, they'll freely move between their bedroom, their food, and their job.  Do not burrow the hallways - they ignore burrows for pathing, they only care if their destination is within the burrow.  Utilizing this, I used a line of different "stations" that would pass along items to be dyed, woven, studded, and jeweled, leaving masterpiece items in the final stockpile and anything less getting pushed to the trade depot.  Giant cave spider silk rope with spikes of platinum and blue diamond.  All masterwork, of course.

ALSO: The windows version of Therapist doesn't handle beekeeping either.  But you can rename those dwarves, and then find their name easily via the 'u'nits screen and do them the old fashioned way.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 05:00:26 am »

Screw industry, just sell whatever the corpses are wearing.
More honestly, weapon/armorsmithing, and bowyer. Sell anything that's not masterwork and get more full bars of metal. I don't like clay working beyond gathering for material to build with.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

qoou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 10:23:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's weird, because this is exactly how I went about workshops when I started Dwarf Fortress. All my workshops have a 3x3 stockpile 1z level below and a 3x3 bedroom 2z levels below. Certain materials can't be stored as neatly (barrels/bins) or are more abundant, so I leave enough room for another ~12 stockpile tiles, and make sure to place workshops efficiently (kitchen and brewery by the farm, butchery by the indoor refuse stockpile and eventually by the pasture I move indoors, etc). As my fortress grows, I start adding private dining space to the bedrooms of my more important dwarfs, so they waste even less time going to and fro.

Of course, what fuels all this is the endless stream of beekeeper immigrants. Since I make my skilled dwarfs work as much as dwarvenly possible, they quickly get fast enough that I can make do without extra workshops. I'll have fortresses of ~200, where only ~35 are skilled workers that are taken care of, another ~30 are my elite military (unless the skilled Teacher soldier I embark with dies, in which case my military fluctuates between 5 paralyzed dwarfs and 50 unskilled recruits for a few years), with the ~125 others being haulers/masons who get to eat in one large communal dining room, get to sleep in bedrooms only if I get around to it, become "voluntary" subjects for my science experiments, and always have an endless stream of hauling jobs to do.

I've gotten increasingly good at setting up this efficient caste system, to the point where my last tantrum spiral was solved by canceling all hauling/masonry labors, locking over half my fort (most of them innocent bystanders) inside their dining hall / bedroom complex, indiscriminately executing everyone who got locked out, and having the lever hermit pull the specially marked tantrum magma lever. The only thoughts my surviving dwarfs got were "Urist McExecutioner took joy in slaughter recently". They better not come back as ghosts, or they'll be getting the magma treatment a second time.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 10:45:31 am »

Favorite? Rock Crafting

Least Favorite? Anything involving 'bee'

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 10:51:28 am »

The main problem with certain industries is not that you can put the correct stockpiles next to the workshop, its that the stockpile closest to the idleing dwarves (i.e. your meeting hall) is used to make items the first time every dwarf starts production.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 11:21:57 am »

favorite industry = food

least favorite = metal (I just buy steel weapons & armor from the caravan)

ps The secret to "my millers milled all my sweet pods that I was saving for rum" is agricultural overproduction.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 12:16:38 pm »

Burrows?

I'm thinking of a fort where each industry gets its own burrow. The clothing industry burrow won't HAVE any millable plants other than dye plants, so there won't be a problem...
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 12:21:28 pm »

it would be pretty cool if you could customize the stockpile categories
for example move dyes from the food category to the cloth category

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 12:43:09 pm »

1. We are Dwarf fortress.
2. We can dig deep and find tons of ores and gem stones, other civilizations can't.
3. With magma we can industrially produce tons of weapons and metal stuff, other civilizations can't do that .
4. We can cut tons gems out of easily accessible gem stones, what other civilizations can't do.

Let these civs bring us all we need for what we can easily do! (Also, don't magma elves: they bring lumber and critters and some booze).

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 01:24:21 pm »

Favorite: Hmm.... magma war Prisoner "Management" Possibly metal industry. I'm not sure.

Least: Gems and leather industry. "NO URIST! ENCRUST THE *adamantine chair*, NOT THE DAMN -microcline mug-!"

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 04:48:05 pm »

Stockpile management, again. :P
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4