Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Least-favorite/favorite industry?  (Read 4228 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Least-favorite/favorite industry?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »

Why does clothesmaking require bags? I always thought you simply process the pig tails, then weave them, then make them into clothes.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 06:50:20 pm »

Embark with sand bags, wood and rock nuts. Plant rock nuts. Make burn the wood to charcoal and make a bunch of glass trap components. Process plants into now-empty bags, cook lavish meals. Profit.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 12:19:25 am »

Why does clothesmaking require bags? I always thought you simply process the pig tails, then weave them, then make them into clothes.

Correct. Bags are not strictly necessary for clothesmaking. You do need a bag to hold dye powder, but dying is optional.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 12:26:10 am »

To make the most valuable clothes possible, of course, you're going to use two units of dye; one for the item and one for the sewn image. With a high-skill dyer it's not the biggest contributer to the value, but it's nontrivial.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 02:44:33 am »

You're right, they don't and never did.  I have NO idea why I used to constantly run out of bags in 40d.  It's been too long.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »

the game would be even greater if you could control wood, rock, and plant processing/cooking just like you can control the metal and gem industries.

Agreed.

I can't say I really have a favourite i.e. one I actually like doing instead of seeing it as a chore to keep things running. If anything, it's smithing for that reason: the greater control. You can train a newbie armorer by cranking out copper caps while the legendary one makes adamantine armor for the veterans and the blacksmith works on golden statues. Easy. Trying to do something similar with masons and stonecrafters is just a pain.

Least favourite? Beekeeping. I like the idea, but it does still have issues (I can't get it to work at all once the hives are stocked), and the "output" is far too low for the required workload.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 08:50:21 pm »

My least favourites are by far beekeping and carpentry, what I like most is stonecrafting and encrusting.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 09:33:22 pm »

In addition to my previous comments: I love potash making (fertilizer is extremely underrated) but I'm not a fan of soap-making (due to the lack of quality/decorating/encrusting/etc).

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 10:08:43 pm »

In addition to my previous comments: I love potash making (fertilizer is extremely underrated) but I'm not a fan of soap-making (due to the lack of quality/decorating/encrusting/etc).

Soap making is great for healthcare as it reduces infections for during treatment and having dwarves remove contaminants from their bodies which will cause infections if they get injured.

It also gives dwarves the happy thought, "Enjoyed a soapy bath recently."

Put a stockpile next to your well and in your hospital for easy access.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2011, 10:33:08 pm »

I understand the uses of soap :) but my point is soapmaking industry is not fun for me because there is no skill or creativity to it. As opposed to say for example, barrel-making: soap and barrels are both very useful, but in addition to their utility, barrels can be made out of various materials, you can get legendary metal/carpenter dwarves through repetition or moods, you can encrust them with gems, shell, bone, etc. Another good example is food; prepared meals and soap are both useful, but meals are more varied/fun for me.

Soap is just soap, it's useful but boring.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 11:46:17 pm »

Not if its *Special Soap*, made from the very special creatures found underground.
Soaplent green is goblins!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 12:01:44 am »

Well - I just got into beekeeping, partly cause I had a lot of peasants, and partly because over the years my mayor has mandated production of a lot of hives.

I built 40 of them, assigned a beekeeper, and a screw presser, built a little walled-in area next to my fort, build a small 'beekeeper's shack' out of stripes of gabbro and orthoclase - just a little creative project. I doubt it'll be very profitable - but hell - I have some peasants that needed a job. I'll make some honey & mead for the dwarves that like it, and add wax to my craft exports.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 12:11:19 am »

Not if its *Special Soap*, made from the very special creatures found underground.

I will concede that. However since this is an opinion thread  I am sticking with "soap is not my favorite industry." :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 01:01:16 am »

Since I modded ethics to allow sentient butchering, and play Fortress Defense, soap has become a vital way of getting rid of 500 units of Dark Strangler Tallow.  Food is also fun too, for the same reasons.  Roasted White Tigerman Brain with White Tigerman Prepared Liver, Dark Strangler Tallow, and Frogman Prepared Lung.

Still, as I said before, totally-encrusted cloth is always my first choice.  Masterpiece ropes with masterpiece studdings and encrustings is pretty glorious, and impossible to get any stock of.  If there's a 25% chance of masterwork and 75% of exceptional, then to get a full masterwork died rope with gold and platinum studs is something like a .4% chance or something.  Do that with a dozen gems and a half dozen metals, and getting the fine craftsmanship that the dwarves max out at, is rather difficult.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 01:26:55 am »

My favorite "industry" is Power Generation. I love building Aquifer-based hydrodynamic power plants, and I'm always looking for new dwarfy applications of my 20,000 kitten-power generating station.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4