Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Least-favorite/favorite industry?  (Read 4233 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Least-favorite/favorite industry?
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:53:02 pm »

For me - my least favorite is  certainly plant processing & gem encrusting. Both of those are hard to control without investing significant time into stockpile management and burrowing. On smaller fortresses it's easy, but on huge fortresses like mine (350+ pop) it is a pain to search through the whole list of dwarves to find my plant processer.

Favorite is probably steel-making. Straightforward, you can control the entire process, etc., instead of "DAMMIT DORF YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO PROCESS THE DIMPLE CUPS BUT YOU INSTEAD PROCESSED MY WHOLE FORT'S SUPPLY OF SWEET PODS AND CAVE WHEAT THAT WAS USED FOR MY DAMN BREWING" sort of thing.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
Re: Least-favorite/favorite industry?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:17:43 pm »

I have only really experienced metalworks and such standard things. I would like to try some other industries, but i cant really figure out how to start a quickly successful industry (I like to have a large amount of goods at the first dwarf trade)

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:30:30 pm »

Clothing industry can be a pain in the ass to get up and running, especially if your dwarves claim your products and leave them in the workshop. So it's probably my least favourite.

Favourite industry is probably metal industry as its the most useful for me
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:41:18 pm »

"DAMMIT DORF YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO PROCESS THE DIMPLE CUPS BUT YOU INSTEAD PROCESSED MY WHOLE FORT'S SUPPLY OF SWEET PODS AND CAVE WHEAT THAT WAS USED FOR MY DAMN BREWING" sort of thing.

Come to think of it... if i can pick a specific metal to smelt at the smelter and a specific metal at the creftsdorf workshop to make goods... then why can't i do it with other things like plant processing you mentioned.

As for my fave industry...
Rockcrafting!
Needs absolutely 0 management (just tell the manager to assign your best dorf to the workshop) and tell him to spit out rock mugs on repeat.
Most forts have stone aplenty and you can make him even more effecient by simply making a quantum stone dump right next to his workshop and watch as he churns out rock mugs like a maniac for the next idiot caravan to buy (like if everybody outside the ford had some masterwork mug fetish).

The next fave in line would be glassmaking.
Once you get magma and there is some sand on the map you... infinite ammounts or serrated green glass disk traps all over the blasted map.
Not to mention how you can train/base your entire gem industry on glass alone.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 01:44:01 pm »

Beekeeping sucks, metal industry is dorfy and satisfying.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 01:45:52 pm »

I don't like beekeeping, animal husbandry (JUST MOVE TO THE UNEATEN GRASS, YOU ELF-HUMPING HORSES!!), glass making, pottery, or anything related to fertilizing.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:48:11 pm »

"DAMMIT DORF YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO PROCESS THE DIMPLE CUPS BUT YOU INSTEAD PROCESSED MY WHOLE FORT'S SUPPLY OF SWEET PODS AND CAVE WHEAT THAT WAS USED FOR MY DAMN BREWING" sort of thing.

Come to think of it... if i can pick a specific metal to smelt at the smelter and a specific metal at the creftsdorf workshop to make goods... then why can't i do it with other things like plant processing you mentioned.

the game would be even greater if you could control wood, rock, and plant processing/cooking just like you can control the metal and gem industries.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 04:22:51 pm »

For me - my least favorite is  certainly plant processing & gem encrusting. Both of those are hard to control without investing significant time into stockpile management and burrowing. On smaller fortresses it's easy, but on huge fortresses like mine (350+ pop) it is a pain to search through the whole list of dwarves to find my plant processer.

Favorite is probably steel-making. Straightforward, you can control the entire process, etc., instead of "DAMMIT DORF YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO PROCESS THE DIMPLE CUPS BUT YOU INSTEAD PROCESSED MY WHOLE FORT'S SUPPLY OF SWEET PODS AND CAVE WHEAT THAT WAS USED FOR MY DAMN BREWING" sort of thing.

The most important aspect of any dwarven industry is stockpile management. 

It only takes significant time to learn how to manage stockpiles the first few times, like any learned skill.

After you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and takes very little effort.

The amount of time it takes to wait for dwarves to do things with inefficient stockpile management by far outweighs the time to manage stockpiles properly. 

There is really no need to have 350+ dwarves when you can easily break game economy with just 30 properly managed dwarven workers.

That being said, there is very little difference in managing stockpiles for 30 dwarves or 300, the only difference is in scale. 

In fact, it is even more important to properly manage a large number of dwarves than a small number of them.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 04:53:55 pm »

I'm thinking of a design, where I designate the convenient-to-access food in the convenient-to-access room, then have the stockpiles that are meant to be for processing and such actually take specific items from THAT Stockpile.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 05:18:07 pm »

Well I already have significant stockpile management - that's the thing - to adjust ALL of my stockpiles to not accept sweet pods, wait till enough are hauled, then re-enable sweet pods can be a bit of a pain. If I just do a 'take' thing from my main food stockpile to the burrow stockpile, sure it'll work - but any sweet pods in the secondary food stockpile have a chance of not getting hauled when the main stockpile gets an opening, so, then, I'd have to disable sweet pods in secondary stockpile, etc etc management.

It'd be easy if a stockpile can have more than one other stockpile taking from it. I think I remember that a long time ago that was an option but I can't do it now.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 05:56:41 pm »

A little suggestion if you don't mind using some outside assistance while playing, try Dwarf Therapist. It really makes finding that darn plant processor a lot easier, and is very nice for reassigning jobs especially when you have a large amount of dwarves.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 06:45:43 pm »

Don't listen to the heretic! The Rapist is EVIL INCARNATE! It LOVES elves!
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:00:09 pm »

The most important aspect of any dwarven industry is stockpile management. 

It only takes significant time to learn how to manage stockpiles the first few times, like any learned skill.

After you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and takes very little effort.

The amount of time it takes to wait for dwarves to do things with inefficient stockpile management by far outweighs the time to manage stockpiles properly. 

There is really no need to have 350+ dwarves when you can easily break game economy with just 30 properly managed dwarven workers.

That being said, there is very little difference in managing stockpiles for 30 dwarves or 300, the only difference is in scale. 

In fact, it is even more important to properly manage a large number of dwarves than a small number of them.

Okay, I'll bite.  What is good stockpile management, and how do you figure it out, and how do you know when you have it?  Cause I've been through the wiki, and I've tried to follow that, and I generally have some initial success, but things still get bogged down as the fort grows.  Do I need to just un-designate everything and take an afternoon, paused, re-designating?  Bins everywhere for everything?  Lay out new workshops and storage from scratch (and if so, to what design)?  It really is not clear to me what a very good stockpile setup is supposed to look like compared to the klugey thing I have going on.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 09:02:33 pm »

love plant processing, HATE steelmaking. too many fiddly parts.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 09:28:02 pm »

Love Glassmaking (Green Glass) and Pottery.  Something for nothing is awesome.

Least favorite is Steel.  Steel requires (a) iron, (b) abundant fuel, and (c) wood for carbon.  Wood is such a vital resource for beds, bins, and soap that burning it feels like a horrible waste.

Clothesmaking used to be my least favorite because of how it took bags to make bags, and there were so many chokepoints where one part of the supply chain could run out and cancel all their jobs, but 2010's birds make keeping a constant flow of leather bags easy.

EDIT:  I have no idea what I was thinking about with the bag thing there.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:46:20 am by Valdrax »
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4