Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why Wurm has crap service and why you should not waste a single second or coin  (Read 9148 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

personally, I find that if you forget about skills, wurm is much more enjoyable.

of course, that is just my opinion on the matter, and other people may disagree.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

I dont care bout skills, i just wanted to finish that house, i could spend a whole hour making ONE wall..
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend

When I first played Wurm, I was amazed at the concept and went all in for awhile, even paying for a month and running on wild with a few people and making some neat things (this shortly after the catastrophic restart).  Then, I started having pains due to the constant grind crap.... so I made (sloppy but workable) Autohotkey scripts that could even read the text on the screen for me and do appropriate things in my place (and of course, mine for ore as well).  It still was slow even without having to break my hands, and while it was still an interesting concept, I wasn't about to play something where the only way I could play it is program something else to play it for me.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile

I quite enjoyed Wurm back in the day.
I'd say somebody noticed your name and was offended.
It's not rocket science.  Apart from using exploits or hacks of some kind, that's about the only way any deletions/bans happen (apart from inactivity on never-paid accounts)
And it's all manual.  The fact that you spent a week means nothing -- you had a name that was deemed inappropriate.  You can probably contact Oracle (in a reasonable manner) and you might be able to get the name changed.  If not, you can make a character with a more reasonable name.
It's not a curse word, but...  why?
I do think it's a dumb thing to choose as a name.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Anyone else think it's a little bizarre to state how utterly terrible a game is and rage about your account getting deleted in the same post?

+1 to the above post, although I've never played the game myself.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 06:49:00 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone else think it's a little bizarre to state how utterly terrible a game is and rage about your account getting deleted in the same post?

+1 to the above post, although I've never played the game myself.

Eh because when you get banned from something, you get quite dispelled. When i was a member of the Minecraft community i loved it, then i got banned for flaming a guy that wanted the game to be a Pokemon ripoff with future stuff or something, permanently. Then i have been lurking it, for mods, and now i know how crap the community is, its the new ROBLOX damnit..

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

I'm still baffled by your name, Mr Poo. You're obviously intelligent, yet you choose that name. Explain, plz?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile

I don't really see DrPoo as a bad name, perhaps a little childish, but I definitely don't find poop jokes offensive.
I mean my name is a bit childish too, does that make it bad?
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

ComradeLer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My account with the same name as the one i have here, suddenly ceased to exist without warning. The only thing i have ever done was accidental cursing.
I WASTED A FUCKING WHOLE WEEK ON THEIR CRAP GAME MAKING A SHITTY HOUSE AT A SHITTY PLACE THAT TOOK HOURS TO FIND.
MY LAST CONTACT WITH A FRIEND WAS CUT AND NOW WE WILL NEVER TALK AGAIN. AND THERE IS NOWHERE I CAN FIND THEIR CRAPPY SUPPORT EMAIL SO I CAN FLAME THEM TO DEATH.
I UNDERSTAND WHY NOTCH LEFT.

Seriously guys, if you waste your money on this black hole of a crap game, i have already warned you!
I am happy i havent paid them a shit yet, and they should be too. I am really tempted to take a bus to their place just to break through their window and scream them in the face.
A fucking week, with their stupid cheap hooking tricks have been lost.

I am never playing a game again, from now on i am never playing another game, i am never going on another internet community, its all a waste of fucking time.

Goodbye, for now atleast.

I am a former staff member of Wurm. I can tell you that if you are a freeplayer, and you do not log in within a certain period (1-3 months) your account will be deleted. If you were enjoying the game that much, make a new character, and try to recontact your friend. With a weeks playtime, you haven't really lost that much, and you can reach level 20 in at least one of the generic skills (Carpentry, Digging, Fishing) on a weekend. Heck if you pop by my village, Leningrad, while I am online, I can probably give you some supplies.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 12:14:49 am by ComradeLer »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

theres nothing wrong with poo at all. Its just social stigma. I would like to introduce a real hero, lets call him "Master Poo". His real name is Hamish Skermer, just watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3z_rl8LVs

I got nothing

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still baffled by your name, Mr Poo. You're obviously intelligent, yet you choose that name. Explain, plz?

I dont know, i was a big fan of Goon Station 13 at the time, and as you might know, poo is their stuff.
Then i didnt want to have a name like UristMcRandom or xXfurylordofdeathXx3839 or something like that, so i decided to write something really quick and just continue on, apperently that would be DrPoo :P

Childish, yes. Stupid, kind of. Eh i dont know, but apparently its loved by some and hated by others, and some are just baffled at the word.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile

Eww, Wurm. A week spent in Wurm is nothing. It takes months to be able to skill up to the point of making things that actually sell, months to be able to afford a house and the upkeep. Every action in the game feels like it was timed exactly to feel like a bloody eternity. The game's the definition of "time sink", and even if you find a community, it's hard to not to get bored.

I'd much rather play A Tale in the Desert. It's twice the game Wurm is.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 03:28:31 am by Croquantes »

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As a long time ex-player of wurm, the rules are harsh on new and free players. This is because it takes absolutely no effort to make a new account and you haven't paid for anything yet. There are actually people who make and re-make characters with the sole purpose to troll the GMs and hurl abuse their way, so you really don't get much of leeway. Don't run around feeling entitled and "above" the GMs, especially not as a free player. You're not entitled to anything.

As mentioned, your character will also be deleted if you spend a lot of time inactive. This happens because it is a free account.

The joy in wurm is starting out with a few friends and trying to make do with limited resources, eventually getting to the point where you can genuinely influence the land around you and make a proper settlement. I remember the early days of me playing, and it was great fun. Yeah, there's a lot of grinding involved if you want to be competative with everyone else on the server, but there's nothing forcing you to. You can experience the best of wurm on the free server if you want, as long as you have a good amount of friends helping out.

The downside of wurm is once you get past that stage of initially setting up with friends. Then what? All you can do after that is either force yourself to be competative with the highest skilled people on the server (which you will not succeed in) or immerse yourself in the forums and politics of the game. Which is a much worse iteration of your name.

I quit after having played and grinded for about 3 years straight. I achieved a lot of really awesome things, in my book, but eventually there really was no point to playing anymore. The time I had pooled into wurm in order to get to the point I was had been much better spen t elsewhere, so I've stayed far away ever since.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As a long time ex-player of wurm, the rules are harsh on new and free players. This is because it takes absolutely no effort to make a new account and you haven't paid for anything yet. There are actually people who make and re-make characters with the sole purpose to troll the GMs and hurl abuse their way, so you really don't get much of leeway. Don't run around feeling entitled and "above" the GMs, especially not as a free player. You're not entitled to anything.

As mentioned, your character will also be deleted if you spend a lot of time inactive. This happens because it is a free account.

The joy in wurm is starting out with a few friends and trying to make do with limited resources, eventually getting to the point where you can genuinely influence the land around you and make a proper settlement. I remember the early days of me playing, and it was great fun. Yeah, there's a lot of grinding involved if you want to be competative with everyone else on the server, but there's nothing forcing you to. You can experience the best of wurm on the free server if you want, as long as you have a good amount of friends helping out.

The downside of wurm is once you get past that stage of initially setting up with friends. Then what? All you can do after that is either force yourself to be competative with the highest skilled people on the server (which you will not succeed in) or immerse yourself in the forums and politics of the game. Which is a much worse iteration of your name.

I quit after having played and grinded for about 3 years straight. I achieved a lot of really awesome things, in my book, but eventually there really was no point to playing anymore. The time I had pooled into wurm in order to get to the point I was had been much better spen t elsewhere, so I've stayed far away ever since.

Played Thursday, came back friday and could not login.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a theory.
It was probably your grammar and your name, drpoo, yeah I'm sure they took you to be a completely mature and sensable person based on that alone and not some 12 year old who thinks poo is funny.

that said, wurm does suck.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.
Pages: 1 [2] 3