Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Free War Games?  (Read 4209 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Free War Games?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 12:02:23 pm »

World of Tanks. It's a free-to-play MMO in which you drive historically correct WW2 tanks and modify their gear with the earnings you make in game. Actually very fun.
Is World of Tanks altered to make it more balanced or are some tanks realistically overpowered? Rounds essentially bouncing off the armor of a Tiger, kind of thing.
Quite so. However, matches are balanced so that higher-powered tanks don't usually fight dramatically less powerful ones (sometimes there's just one or two high-level tanks in early matches, but only if it can balance it across both sides).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 12:03:45 pm »

World of Tanks. It's a free-to-play MMO in which you drive historically correct WW2 tanks and modify their gear with the earnings you make in game. Actually very fun.
Is World of Tanks altered to make it more balanced or are some tanks realistically overpowered? Rounds essentially bouncing off the armor of a Tiger, kind of thing.
Statistics are altered for balance. My mistake, I should of said something more along the lines of "historically correct models".

-Edit-

Ninja'd.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 01:07:41 pm »

Turn based: winSPMBT, winSPWW2. Free and fun (until you get mad because RNG hates your guts :P)
They're truly great titles.

winSP:MBT (as i prefer more modern battle settings than ww2) is simply my favorite wargame with its insane amount of content and the amount of possibilities offered by the vast amount of nations, their oob that change depending on the year setting, the tons of missions, random battles, campaigns etc..
It's a masterpiece in the wargaming genre with unlimited replayability.

The random elements that affect gameplay like in every wargame in regards to shot accuracy/penetration does not have as a big influence as in other games like Wesnoth in which it can sometime be very frustrating.
In winSP:MBT, your strategy should always makes a difference as long as you are carefull enough to use scouts and spotters and do not charge carelessly in unknown territory.

And do not forget to bring some artillery, it is not called the "the king of battles" for nothing, because if you think you can do without, no randomisation will save your troops from being splashed by the enemy artillery ;)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 02:24:07 pm »

Rise and Fall is free? Since when?

Anyhow, it's a great game. Sonlirain oddly left out the fact that you can actually take control of your Hero in a third-person mode, which is always awesome. There's also a pretty good scenario editor. Ahh, why am I still writing when I could reinstall it?

It's free for quite some time now. The US airforce bought it and released for free with... US airforce advertisments.
Yes it is lulzy but the game is now free for everyone who cares to download it.
Same thing with Farcry 1 it's free now but has ads.

rise and fal has a very interesting engine, but the complete lack of respect for anything resembling historical accuracy turns me off

Games are about having fun. Not historical accuracy  ;)
Age of Empires also had little historical accuracy but is considered one of the best games of it's kind.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:29:45 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 02:37:18 pm »

i can't have fun if i'm playing a blatantly inaccurate historical game, might as well have created fantasy factions instead of appropriating real world cultures

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 02:47:53 pm »

i can't have fun if i'm playing a blatantly inaccurate historical game, might as well have created fantasy factions instead of appropriating real world cultures

By historical innacuracy you mean things like Cleopatra dressed in a bikini and Germanikus fighting Achilles?
Or is it something more subtle i missed?
Self promotion below.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 02:52:19 pm »

eh, simpler things even, that egyptians have slaves while greeks and romans have citizens, that gladiators of all things enter the roman army, and that "spartans" are treated as some kind of unit type. more than things making no historical sense, some make no sense at all

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 03:08:41 pm »

eh, simpler things even, that egyptians have slaves while greeks and romans have citizens, that gladiators of all things enter the roman army, and that "spartans" are treated as some kind of unit type. more than things making no historical sense, some make no sense at all

Slaves and Citzens... ok everyone used slaves back there so they should name them all either slave or citizens.
Spartans - Well yeah they could avoid it by naming them Spartan Hoplites or something.

You know what? You remind me of my cousin who is a nutcase when it comes to WW2 history. He'd even point out that soldier of army x has only 2 grenades at his belt instead of the issued 3... even if the infantry in the game never actually uses grenades or they are only limited by a cooldown mechanic.
Self promotion below.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 03:26:58 pm »

i'm not even picking on the artistic inaccuracies, and i'd thank you if you didn't call me a nutcase

dehimos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 04:11:35 pm »

0 AD:

- The successor to Age of Empires
- Amazing Graphics
- Open Source
- Innovative Gameplay
- No Seriously It's Awesome.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad/page.php?c=46

I agree. 0 A.D. is good option.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 04:18:03 pm »

What I'm interested in is a hardcore military strategy simulation- in terms of detail, similar to Arma1/2, but on a RTS, strategic rather than tactical, level- with a diamond-hard sci-fi setting.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 04:28:38 pm »

Armored Brigade has some of the hardcore military settings elements found in usually turn based wargames, but can be played in real time.
http://www.armoredbrigade.com/

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 04:45:01 pm »

i'm not even picking on the artistic inaccuracies, and i'd thank you if you didn't call me a nutcase

I only said you remind me of him.
And the things you pick at are a non issue gameplay wise... sure they may give you cancer if you want historical accuracy everywhere but most people don't really care about gladiators in the roman army or the fact each civ has a different name for their basic worker.
As long as the civs are somewhat balanced...
Self promotion below.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 04:47:13 pm »

Is Age of Empires Online out yet? I've read that that's going to be a FTP MMORTS. Same with End of Nations.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 06:48:32 pm »

What I'm interested in is a hardcore military strategy simulation- in terms of detail, similar to Arma1/2, but on a RTS, strategic rather than tactical, level- with a diamond-hard sci-fi setting.

A bridge too far is probably what you're looking for.

Edit: The other Close Combat games are quite good as well, though obviously not free.

I would also like to recommend Running with Rifles. It's a top down third person shooter affair taking place with modern technology in trench warfare with massed infantry rushes.

It's also free :P.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 04:58:58 am by Flare »
Pages: 1 [2] 3