Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Free War Games?  (Read 4210 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Free War Games?
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:59:44 am »

Any free strategy games out there are that good?  RTS, turn based, grand strategy, unconventional warfare ( Guerrilla Warfare is awesome ), etc, it doesn't actually matter, just post away.

Oh, and make sure these are actually decent games, free, easy to download, doesn't have a DF-sized learning curve, etc. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Free War Games?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:05:16 am »

WarZone 2100, post-apocalyptic RTS, used to be commercial but source got released some years ago. Excellent game, but a bit difficult at first.

Battle for Wesnoth, high-fantasy turn-based strategy/tactics, very good apart from occasional plot clichés.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 04:23:09 am »

Thunder Brigade is a fun but extraordinarily small in scope TBT.

UFO: Alien Invasion is an X-COMlike.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:24:47 am »

Command & Conquer And Red Alert1 got released for free (classic RTS games)

Ground Control 1 got released as freeware as well. No unit production on the battlefield only pure strategy.

Rise & Fall Civilizations at War is free and it's a GREAT aincient themed RTS that includes advanced siege and naval warfare options (like using grappling hooks and boarding the enemy vessel) also shps in this game are actually small pieces of floating land your soldiers and heroes can actually walk on instead of being bolted in one place or disapearing like in other games.
Same thing with walls that work just like in stronghold (cept they can only be destroyed by siege weapons). Fighting on walls is quite common.

Rise & Fall is probably my personal favourite here.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:41:25 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:49:18 am »

Rise & Fall Civilizations at War is free
Is it just me or is only the demo free?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:52:27 am »

Well, Aurora qualifies, especially once you get to the actual combat, which is pretty much like playing a David Weber space battle. Added pluses of incredibly detailed shipbuilding, research, etc. Downsides... Well, if you have less than 1024p vertical res, you're kinda fucked by the fact that the windows aren't resizeable, but you can get around that with 3rd party apps.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:05:07 am »

Rise and Fall is free? Since when?

Anyhow, it's a great game. Sonlirain oddly left out the fact that you can actually take control of your Hero in a third-person mode, which is always awesome. There's also a pretty good scenario editor. Ahh, why am I still writing when I could reinstall it?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:06:19 am »

@flying Dice
900p vertical res works for me with reduced height mode. I assume you haven't updated for a while :P?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 10:11:32 am »

World of Tanks. It's a free-to-play MMO in which you drive historically correct WW2 tanks and modify their gear with the earnings you make in game. Actually very fun.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 10:17:16 am »

World of Tanks. It's a free-to-play MMO in which you drive historically correct WW2 tanks and modify their gear with the earnings you make in game. Actually very fun.
Is World of Tanks altered to make it more balanced or are some tanks realistically overpowered? Rounds essentially bouncing off the armor of a Tiger, kind of thing.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 10:32:31 am »

@flying Dice
900p vertical res works for me with reduced height mode. I assume you haven't updated for a while :P?

I know this is off topic a bit, but are you referring to an update for windows or an update to aurora?  I thought I was trying the latest version a few days ago.  I was hoping to pick up that game without resorting to third party apps to work around the screen size.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 10:33:47 am »

0 AD:

- The successor to Age of Empires
- Amazing Graphics
- Open Source
- Innovative Gameplay
- No Seriously It's Awesome.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad/page.php?c=46
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 10:51:53 am »

@flying Dice

I know this is off topic a bit, but are you referring to an update for windows or an update to aurora?  I thought I was trying the latest version a few days ago.  I was hoping to pick up that game without resorting to third party apps to work around the screen size.
Aurora
There is a reduced height mode you can turn on in-game. It's on the main menu thing (what you start).

Ontopic: I recommend the Rise and Fall too, although only the demo is free :(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 11:09:27 am »

Turn based: winSPMBT, winSPWW2. Free and fun (until you get mad because RNG hates your guts :P)
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 11:11:58 am »

rise and fal has a very interesting engine, but the complete lack of respect for anything resembling historical accuracy turns me off
Pages: [1] 2 3